Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes Hobbies Motor / ESC Combo Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Holmes Hobbies Motor / ESC Combo Advice

Now that I've decided to stay brushed, I need a little help deciding which Holmes combo to buy for a Wraith. I've tried searching, and posted in the motor / esc section for the wraith, as well as looked on their site but no clear cut answers on any. I'll be installing the RC4WD AX2 2 speed trans at the same time. I want really good low gear crawl capability, with enough speed in high gear for it to still be fun when the terrain opens up. So, what combo and what wind on the motor? They have so many combos (torquemaster, crawlmaster, etc) on the site, with no real indication as to the difference between them that I have no idea what I need with the 2 speed. I sent them an email, and I'm sure they'll get back to me once the work week starts, but I figured someone here has to be running this combo already and has some feedback to offer.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Holmes Hobbies Motor / ESC Combo Advice

Talk to John and tell him your set up. Car, weight, intentions, ect and he'll give you what you need.
crawler nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
Talk to John and tell him your set up. Car, weight, intentions, ect and he'll give you what you need.
But how do you reach him, I've tried e-mailing him and wrote to the holmes hobbies customer service a week ago and I still aven't heard from him.
TrailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 04:05 PM   #4
RCC Addict

He does what he can. He is a busy man. Have you tried sending him a pm on here?
Old 09-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks crawler nut, his profile doesn't allow PM's, so I used the email option. I'm just anxious to get it ordered is all, I know the stock motor is garbage and won't last long. I have another motor I can throw in short term if need be though.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Although not exactly your question, but I run a Team Brood Chaos 25T motor after EddieO recommendation. I matched it with a HH BR-XL and also a RC4WD 2speed tranny, this combo has been good for what you want it to do. Good crawling and still have a bit of top speed.

I would say if you want to stay with HH (which is also great motor), try the Crawlmaster 13T, it should be awesome. It will be smoother than the Chaos, being a CM is a 5 segment arm vs Chaos 3 segment. If you want more torque, get a torque master pro 27T with big wire, high fill and strong magnet, that should do the trick. Or one of those new Puller, but I don't know much about them, never run it before.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
Although not exactly your question, but I run a Team Brood Chaos 25T motor after EddieO recommendation. I matched it with a HH BR-XL and also a RC4WD 2speed tranny, this combo has been good for what you want it to do. Good crawling and still have a bit of top speed.

I would say if you want to stay with HH (which is also great motor), try the Crawlmaster 13T, it should be awesome. It will be smoother than the Chaos, being a CM is a 5 segment arm vs Chaos 3 segment. If you want more torque, get a torque master pro 27T with big wire, high fill and strong magnet, that should do the trick. Or one of those new Puller, but I don't know much about them, never run it before.
Will the 13T not be too low of a wind and cause issues with overheating during extended runs, or on higher voltage packs (i.e. 3s) when crawling? I thought the lower the turn, the more speed you got, and the more likely to overheat when slow wheeling? I apologize for all the questions, but I'm not real familiar with brushed motor tech at all. Watching some vids, that 13T would be fun as hell with a 2 speed.
Old 09-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Thanks crawler nut, his profile doesn't allow PM's, so I used the email option. I'm just anxious to get it ordered is all, I know the stock motor is garbage and won't last long. I have another motor I can throw in short term if need be though.
Actually if you re gear it to 13-15/87 in 48p or 10-12/56 in 32p the stock motor will last quite a while. He might have a contact # on his website.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Will the 13T not be too low of a wind and cause issues with overheating during extended runs, or on higher voltage packs (i.e. 3s) when crawling? I thought the lower the turn, the more speed you got, and the more likely to overheat when slow wheeling? I apologize for all the questions, but I'm not real familiar with brushed motor tech at all. Watching some vids, that 13T would be fun as hell with a 2 speed.
Crawl master is a 5 segment armature which the winding is roughly double, ie, a 13T 5 segments is roughly same as a 26T armature with 3 segment. Most of the brushed motor use 3 segments armature. 5 segments arm will be very smooth at low speed but scarify some torque.

Another option is 3 segments armature with skewed stack, this will improve low speed control on a 3 segments arm.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:35 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler nut View Post
Actually if you re gear it to 13-15/87 in 48p or 10-12/56 in 32p the stock motor will last quite a while. He might have a contact # on his website.
I'll be doing that until my Homes setup arrives as well, thanks! No phone number for them, they only do email based support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colgout View Post
Crawl master is a 5 segment armature which the winding is roughly double, ie, a 13T 5 segments is roughly same as a 26T armature with 3 segment. Most of the brushed motor use 3 segments armature. 5 segments arm will be very smooth at low speed but scarify some torque.

Another option is 3 segments armature with skewed stack, this will improve low speed control on a 3 segments arm.
Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me, I appreciate it.

Heard back from John today, he recommended the 35t torquemaster pro combo for my application, so I'm going to order that for now, and pick up that 13t down the road to try out also.

Last edited by hpiguy; 09-23-2013 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

If you want to (I did that), you can just order the 13T 5 seg armature later down the line and just swap out the 3 seg one, put in the new brushes and you are gold, the standard torque master and crawl master has the same can magnet and endbell, just the sticker different.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Good to know, thanks!

Holmes Hobbies Motor / ESC Combo Advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Needing expert advice on ESC/Motor combo NiteRyder1976 Axial SCX-10 13 05-27-2011 08:42 PM
Holmes Motor/ESC/Lipo Combo SgtDoogie Electronics 4 05-08-2009 01:17 PM