Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Approx amp draw for 45t motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Approx amp draw for 45t motors

What would be the approx amount of amps a 45t motor would draw under high load on a 2S Lipo? I know there's not going to be a 100% answer, but I'm only needing an approx guide.
I don't have much space on my MOA truck and I need some tiny ESC's. I've seen some tiny shrink-wrapped ESC's that would be an ideal size/ weight but don't know what current rating will be suitable, 30A? 50A? 100A? 300A? I realise higher is better, but higher also means a larger ESC.
patrol_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2013, 03:08 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Approx amp draw for 45t motors

Expect something like 2-3A typical draw and then upwards 50A peak at stall with full throttle.
So I'd say an ESC able to handle 50A peak should do it for you.

To save space a Tekin FXr or HH BR Mini should be great.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Pick up a pair of Castle Micro Sidewinders or Mamba Micros and you'll be set. The biggest differences between those two is that he Mambas have the heat sink and case...othewise they're the same controller. If you want to spend a few more bucks look into a set of the BRSL's or BR Mini's from Holmes Hobbies.
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

On 2s a machine wound will stall about 60a. A hand wound over 100. Any of the recommended ESCs would work. An fxr or BR mini will have better drag than sidewinder or mamba micros.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the responses. The Sidewinder looks good. Can all brushless ESC's run a brushed motor, or only ones that are specified to do both motor types? (Taking the number of turns into account of course).
My axles are worm gear type, so really I won't need any brakes/ drag brakes will I? From what I understand, the gear setup is effectively like having brakes, correct?

Another quick question, is the BR mini the same as the BRXL minus the casing, or is it a smaller board inside aswell? Also, Is the BRXL identical to the Axial AE-2, or do they just look similar on the outside?
patrol_maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrol_maverick View Post
Thanks for the responses. The Sidewinder looks good. Can all brushless ESC's run a brushed motor, or only ones that are specified to do both motor types? (Taking the number of turns into account of course).
My axles are worm gear type, so really I won't need any brakes/ drag brakes will I? From what I understand, the gear setup is effectively like having brakes, correct?

Another quick question, is the BR mini the same as the BRXL minus the casing, or is it a smaller board inside aswell? Also, Is the BRXL identical to the Axial AE-2, or do they just look similar on the outside?

Only brushless ESC's that are specified to be able to run both will run brushless and brushed. With the worm drive axles drag brake shouldnt be an issue. the BR-mini is a different ESC to the BR-XL. They have the awesome options that the BR-XL has, but in a super small footprint. For a MOA duel option its one if not the best out there. I have run Mamba micro, Micro sidewinder and FXR setups. The BR-mini's i have now are the best i have used. The BR-XL might look like the AE-2, but they are worlds apart under the skin. The BR-XL can run up to 6S, has a big 5A internal BEC and punches a heap more amps than an AE-2 will ever do.

Last edited by LAY80N; 10-15-2013 at 04:28 AM.
LAY80N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
On 2s a machine wound will stall about 60a. A hand wound over 100. Any of. he recommended ESCs would work. An fxr or BR mini will have better drag than sidewinder or mamba micros.

i am surprised fxr has better drag brake than msw.... my msw seems to be alot better and more consistent in drag brake compared to fxr.
Colgout is offline   Reply With Quote

Approx amp draw for 45t motors - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
max current draw from 35t motors, 8x8x4 MoA braq Electronics 7 02-06-2013 04:39 PM
Amp draw? David Newbie General 3 04-01-2008 06:29 AM