Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: need potentiometer tech to fix welder

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 07:06 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default need potentiometer tech to fix welder

I have a hobart handler 135. The wire speed is broke so that it is full bore all the time. I replaced the potentiometer switch and that had no affect.

It goes from the switch to the circuit board, then out of the board to a small 550 size motor that drives the roller that feed the wire.

Without having to replace the circuit board. I would like to find a pot that is rated to 12v that the motor sees. and run it right inline to the motor, and bypass the circuit board. I do not weld with gas, so I do not see it needing to be integrated into the board. I just need to slow the wire down.

Any info would be great on what I need to do this.

Thanks, Mike
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

My Hobart 135 got struck by lightning a few years back. It blew a couple of the relay's on the main board. In my searches,they were Miller parts only(for those that don't know,Miller makes the Hobart stuff). I was about to give up and buy another main board,$$$$$$$$,my X father in law searched for a day or so and found the part searching through the part number. It was the actual company that makes the stuff for Miller. They didn't really want to but he talked the guy into selling a few to him. It only cost me a grand total of $6.50 after shipping. I'll try to contact him about it,but I'm not a real favorite over there anymore so I can't make any promises.

To slow the wire down....you could just throw some sand down in the liner

Last edited by Reflection; 10-17-2006 at 07:36 AM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2006, 07:48 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Right now I have the spool tightened up alot. Then loosened up the tension knob so it slips. I get a happy medium, but it eventually gets out of range again from friction. Not the best way to do it but it worked last night.

Just need a pot rated to 12v that would slow an rc motor down and I think i am set.
JamisonWorkshop is offline   Reply With Quote