Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HELP! Servo Pot Adjustment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default HELP! Servo Pot Adjustment

I was waterproofing all my stuff in the Wraith, and I accidentally let the top case come off my Hitec HS-65MG and crap went everywhere. Now for the life of me, I cannot get the pot to center as it should. Is it even really worth messing with on a digital servo, or just trash can it and get a new one?
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2013, 06:40 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HELP! Servo Pot Adjustment

From it's current "center", does the servo have equal throw each direction?
If yes, why not just remove the servo arm & recenter that?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Charlie, that's what I'm trying to do. I can get everything centered, motor stopped, then re-attach the main splined gear (that the servo arm attaches to) to the pot and all seems well. But as soon as I put the top case half on and move it, it just shudders and goes nuts, my guess is the pot is being disturbed when snapping the case halves together.

Some more digging on the net reveals I can hot glue the pot to hold the adjustment steady. I already ordered a replacement to get me going so I can play over Thanksgiving, but I'll monkey around with this some more and see if I can't fix it for a spare.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
Charlie, that's what I'm trying to do. I can get everything centered, motor stopped, then re-attach the main splined gear (that the servo arm attaches to) to the pot and all seems well. But as soon as I put the top case half on and move it, it just shudders and goes nuts, my guess is the pot is being disturbed when snapping the case halves together.

Some more digging on the net reveals I can hot glue the pot to hold the adjustment steady. I already ordered a replacement to get me going so I can play over Thanksgiving, but I'll monkey around with this some more and see if I can't fix it for a spare.
I'm saying to assemble the servo, power it up so it centers, THEN attach the servo arm. Does it have the same throw each direction then?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I'm saying to assemble the servo, power it up so it centers, THEN attach the servo arm. Does it have the same throw each direction then?
I don't know, because I can't get to that point. Once I reassemble it, it goes haywire every single time. From looking at the pot, having turned it both ways to max while powered down, it appears that it would, IF I could get the pot adjustment to stay put during reassembly.

Last edited by hpiguy; 11-26-2013 at 02:50 PM.

HELP! Servo Pot Adjustment - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Servo pot 666 Electronics 18 01-29-2012 07:04 PM
Pot heads bent Chit Chat 173 12-11-2010 06:38 AM
Servo winch with resistors instead of POT ? ScalerLover Electronics 3 07-13-2009 06:36 PM
anyone done this to replace a POT on a servo used for a winch? username Electronics 0 05-06-2009 06:31 PM
Removing the POT from a servo mtdriver Electronics 3 11-10-2004 10:03 PM