Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Trinity 27t

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Trinity 27t

My Trinity Mystery Stock Pro 27 turn gave up the ghost.

1 Has any one ever ran the Trinity X Stock Pro 27 Turn Ball Bearing Brushed Motor before?

2 If so how was it?

greengoblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2013, 05:57 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Trinity 27t

That's a race stock motor. They have a couple of modifications that make them good for a "stock" race class, but terrible crawler motors.

1. they have 24 degrees of advanced timing. This increases the power and RPM, but reduces the low speed driveability.

2. The armature laminations are not a full stack. This reduces the resistance, so the current will increase, which increases power, but also increases heat. This also reduces low speed driveability.

3. It also will likely be the wrong rotation for a crawler application. Running one of these motors in reverse rotation (24 degrees of retarded timing) will make the motor run really really hot.

Basically, it's the wrong motor for the application. Not recommended.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #3
RCC Addict

For 35/40$ you can get a good machine wound team brood or Holmes hobbies motor that is built exactly for the crawler/rock racer applications.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The motor I have been using fore some time now Trinity Mystery Stock Pro 27 turn I never said its in a crawler. It's in my trail truck

Last edited by greengoblin; 12-26-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Trinity is a great motor but not set up for crawling. (Fixed 24degrees of timing.) ( Lots of speed/Less torque)

I use a Trinity 27T armature inside of a Trinity modified motor with adjustable timing.
Can pretty much use just about any mod motor as long as it has adjustable timing.

I happen to have gotten an amazing deal on ebay but in general its going to cost you more than just buying a brand new
motor.

Don't shy away from the 27T Holmes Hobbies motor if you want a 27T...Worlds of difference in torque and control over that 24 degree fixed timing motor.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-26-2013 at 11:28 AM.
6sharky9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sharky9 View Post

Don't shy away from the 27T Holmes Hobbies motor if you want a 27T...Worlds of difference in torque and control over that 24 degree fixed timing motor.
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoblin View Post
[COLOR="lime"]. The motor I have been using fore some time now Trinity Mystery Stock Pro 27 turn I never said its in a crawler. It's in my trail truck
This is RCCrawler.com, not RCTrailTruck.com.

Crawler, trail truck, whatever you want to call it.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Trinity X Stock Pro 27 Turn

Trinity Mystery Stock Pro 27 turn

Old 12-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #9
RCC Addict

all still 24 degree motors...If you can find a modified motor to put the armatures in it would work a lot better...But its going to be cheaper I think to just buy a new from holmes hobbies.

I took the armature out of the one on the left and installed it in the one on the right..The one on the right was a 7X1 mod motor.
Youll also get bearings instead of bushing with a mod motor..The holmes hobbies motors use bearing also..you cant beat it for 35 dollars.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Wow, I've had a few of those Mystery stocks that found their way into my SCX, but mine musn't have been pro's cause they didn't have the dyno sheet.

The low end isn't actually as bad as everyone else makes it seem, with a little tweaking on the ESC and low gearing they will creep very well.

BUT, that 24 degrees of timing really sucks in reverse, seems like it had maybe %50 reverse power even though the ESC was set at %100. Was fairly easy to stall out the motor in reverse.

The timing also seems to wear through brushes like crazy, I was lucky get four hours of moderate trail use out of a set. Mine ran "warm to midly hot" geared 12/87 on 2s regardless of how I drove it.

I'll occasionally peruse Ebay for those old "stock" motors cause if I get them for cheap I just tear them apart and swap the brushes and armature into a recycled mod can with adjustable timing. They work much better for crawling at 6 degrees timing or so.
meatmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Wow, I've had a few of those Mystery stocks that found their way into my SCX, but mine musn't have been pro's cause they didn't have the dyno sheet.

The low end isn't actually as bad as everyone else makes it seem, with a little tweaking on the ESC and low gearing they will creep very well.

BUT, that 24 degrees of timing really sucks in reverse, seems like it had maybe %50 reverse power even though the ESC was set at %100. Was fairly easy to stall out the motor in reverse.

The timing also seems to wear through brushes like crazy, I was lucky get four hours of moderate trail use out of a set. Mine ran "warm to midly hot" geared 12/87 on 2s regardless of how I drove it.

I'll occasionally peruse Ebay for those old "stock" motors cause if I get them for cheap I just tear them apart and swap the brushes and armature into a recycled mod can with adjustable timing. They work much better for crawling at 6 degrees timing or so.
I got a huge deal on 12 barely used if not new 27T trinity motors and 4 mod motors like in the pic for just over 100 dollars for all of it..So basicly I have 12 mod 27T motors for less than 10 dollars a piece..lol..all in extremely nice shape..no bad armatures or even cut ones..all brushes barely broken in..and some of the motors never had power to them...Takes one hell of a good deal though for it to be less than just buying a 35 dollar new one from holmes hobbies..

Set my timing at 6 also...Im geard 87/16 and with heat sinks I barely reach 130 degrees after a full pack of hard running.

Last edited by 6sharky9; 12-26-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post

My gearing is 11 pinion and 93 on the spur with the Trinity Mystery Stock Pro 27 turn. My friends have tryed to drag my truck and the other friend push my truck and cant move mine. Thats a 55 turn pushing and a 20 turn pulling. I even hooked up to my project big block to see how was going to pull who it was a stalemate. And yes im the crazy guy with a 1/8th mamba monster pro in a scx10.

This is old school

V/S

Last edited by greengoblin; 12-26-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Trinity 27t - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
trinity motors CRAWLERJOE Electronics 0 10-09-2012 06:48 PM
Trinity Crawler???? JPH Racing General Crawlers 0 11-14-2008 06:57 PM