Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Dx3c

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #1

Default Dx3c

Hello guys I am new to rc's. I just bought an scx10 and was looking at various upgrades, some people mentioned upgrading the radio. My question is how well does the dx3c perform? Recommended or is there something better for about the same price?
Cme4293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2013, 07:20 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Dx3c

First off welcome. I will put in my 2 cents, I like spektrum products so I may be a little biased, but since you are new to rc I would keep it simple for now. Not a bad price for a 3 channel system. If you want to add more to your rig down the line say for instance a winch, you will need a transmitter with more channels. But like I stated, you are just starting out, keep it simple and then decide if you like this hobby and you can "go big" at a later time. The dx3c will be fine.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The hacked Flysky GT3B or GT3B works really well in crawlers and with the right receiver can have up to 8 channel. It also has advanced features such as mixing for dual escs and rear steering. Also, it costs less than the Dx3c.

Flysky GT3B

Flysky GT3C
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would do a search.....

"search"..... "advanced search"..... "DX3c" (thread titles only) and read what others have to say.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

the dx3c is a great radio for the price. if you hunt around you can find one for under 100 with 2 receivers.
fj40jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Welcome to the joint buddy boy! I've been running a 3c for 8mos or so. And its been a good purchase so far. Wade said you'd need more channels for a winch-not true. That's what 99% of scalers use the 3rd ch for. My only potential concern is actual build quality. It feels light & cheap. And that roller switch is a great example. Feels like fisher price shit. I've read where others have had theirs break on them. Mine's started to get a little funky tho. I have to press it harder & harder to select stuff. The flysky's are a great setup for the price, but may be a bit much for a beginner, with updates & such. The 3c is simple to use, & for the price, a solid decision.
jado6006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I got my DX3c used for 58 bucks as an upgrade from a Dx3.0. So far it works great for me and programming is fairly straight forward. I still use the wireless winch controller from RC4wd since a winch just plugged in to the third channel will drift (HeyOK makes a device that fixes that I believe)
The light weight helps on extended running sessions and don't have issues with range since I'm only a couple feet away at most. Batterys last quite a while as well

The one issue I have is a bit of glitchyness at the start of scale comps. Lots of Spektrum systems, however it works fine once the group gets going. If you only wheel with a few people, it shouldn't be an issue

Sent from a rock
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:37 PM   #8

Thanks guys, not gonna run out and buy one tomorrow but I think one may be in my future haha
Old 12-27-2013, 04:18 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jado6006 View Post
Welcome to the joint buddy boy! I've been running a 3c for 8mos or so. And its been a good purchase so far. Wade said you'd need more channels for a winch-not true. That's what 99% of scalers use the 3rd ch for. My only potential concern is actual build quality. It feels light & cheap. And that roller switch is a great example. Feels like fisher price shit. I've read where others have had theirs break on them. Mine's started to get a little funky tho. I have to press it harder & harder to select stuff. The flysky's are a great setup for the price, but may be a bit much for a beginner, with updates & such. The 3c is simple to use, & for the price, a solid decision.
My bad, I forgot to add, 2 speed tran, dig, etc. to that statement
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:42 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

I also have a DX3C and i really like it, there are plenty of adjustments and it is comfortable to hold for an hour or two on the trails.
Wraith1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I didn't plan on posting in this section because I really was kind of neutral on my DX3C until today... I went out with a group of friends to a new spot and had quite the time rolling down the entrance creek to the rock park. Long story short we got to a slick part of the next little creek crossing, that really had me tempted. At first I wasn't planning it but another member was saying he would try in his wraith (2.2) if I went first in my Honcho (1.9er). So i rolled into the gully/creek noticing my front of of the truck sliding quickly into the 2/3ft pool right below. Out of impulse I ran up to it nearly slipping in myself and losing grip of everything. With my rig sinking like the titanic I put my Remote down (DX3C) and go to grab my truck. Reaching down, my book back hits the remote on the rock face into the damn creek right next my truck. I get my rig and my other buddy grabbed my remote (floating like a cork at the time screen down in a 2/3ft pond). Wow, what a doozie in a matter of 15 seconds. I went ahead and hit the power because I had the gut feeling it was toast, unplugged my truck as well. Tried it again about 30 mins later and the remote would work without screen display, truck had no steering response either. I called it a day and watched the crew for the afternoon with worry of having to replace it all. I came home and immediately disassembled my remote and hit the insides with a bit of cleaner and air. Did the same the the stock AS-3 and repacked it with dielectric grease. Needless to say both my DX3C & Axial AS-3 mostly stock Honcho are back to running fine, for now.. I rate the Spektrum DX3C at a 8 out of 10, has been good to me so far.

Last edited by wilbywise; 12-29-2013 at 10:30 AM.
wilbywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 05:28 PM   #12

Glad everything worked out for you, radio sounds like its worth the money
Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I had a hacked GT3b and hated it with a passion, bought a Specktrum DX3C and much happier with the DX3C just my experienced opinion. and I got six R/C's, that are crawlers and go fasts, both run fine on the DX3C
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
The hacked Flysky GT3B or GT3B works really well in crawlers and with the right receiver can have up to 8 channel. It also has advanced features such as mixing for dual escs and rear steering. Also, it costs less than the Dx3c.

Flysky GT3B

Flysky GT3C
By the time you add all the bells and whistles to the GT3B the cost is a lot more than the Dx3c.I've been very happy with my dx3c
JK Krawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:05 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DX3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK Krawler View Post
By the time you add all the bells and whistles to the GT3B the cost is a lot more than the DX3C.I've been very happy with my DX3C
New prices...

DX3C... ~$100 Spektrum DX3C DSM 3-Channel Surface Radio (SPM3300) | Horizon Hobby - Radio Control R/C Planes, RC Airplanes, RC Helis and Helicopters, RC Cars, RC Trucks, RC Truggys, RC Boats, RC Radios, RC Engines, parts, hop-ups, and accessories

Spektrum DX3C | eBay

Additional RX's... ~$30.00 Spektrum SR201 2CH DSM Sport Surface Receiver RX Coated DX3C SPMSR201 | eBay

Hacked GT3B... $50... Flysky GT3B
Add mods... (regulator & bearing) $27.50
Total is $77.50 although you don't have the reflash option down the road if a newer firmware comes out. To get the option when you order the GT3B adds $30.00 so now you cost more than a DX3C.

Hacked GT3C... $75.00... Flysky GT3C
Again, this is hacked but no reflash option down the road.
Add the "power on" toggle switch is $5, so $80.00 total.
Oh, and this price gets you a LiPO as standard. You can get a higher mah LiPO as an option for not much.

Additional RX's (sourced elsewhere) are ~$10 ea depending on the # of channels.

I've run my GT3B for a couple years, I have the regulator & bearing mods, but they're not install yet so the basic $50 still stands.
I did get a programmer since we have 3 radios in-house (1 GT3B, 2 GT3C's) so it made sense to me.

Not pushing any radio here, just giving "new prices" to more accurately compare.
Used or sourcing from other places can change prices. I bought my GT3C's from a different source since I could get other colors that OverkillRC didn't have.

PS, the FlySky radios can run up to 8 channels and support dual ESC's, channel mixing, 4WS options, etc. They also have support right here.

I know kgb454 was very unhappy with his FlySky radio, based on a couple other threads, crap happens and everyone has to make their own choice.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 01-04-2014 at 08:07 AM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

Dx3c - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DX3c 17dean Electronics 4 11-18-2011 07:08 PM
Dx3c? asian195 Electronics 11 11-14-2011 11:54 AM
dx3c customforlife Electronics 4 06-27-2011 09:17 PM