Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC power problems PLEASE HELP!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2006, 09:24 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question ESC power problems PLEASE HELP!!!

hi my names is james i have a txt1

i am having problems with my esc.It is a LRP Pro Reverse Digital SpeedController

when i plug my battery to my esc there is no power if i disconnect my battery and plug my receiver pack in. There is power Non of my batterys are flat they are all fully charge

any information given would be most appreciated

Thanx

james
Moondust1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sounds like the BEC died in the ESC.
If you leave the ESC off, and plug in the receiver pack, does everythng work normally?
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 09:41 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

yes
Old 10-28-2006, 12:19 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Just to clarify, I mean the truck works, it goes forwards, backwards, turns, etc.
If so then, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

yes it all works fine.but my dad said a may be frying my esc if i carry on running it?
Old 10-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

You can't make it any worse, IMO.
As long as everything works, there's nothing to worry about. A lot of people run their rigs the exact same way, myself included.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up

ok thanx
Old 10-29-2006, 08:05 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

We are still having problems with the truck. The truck was running fine until moondust stripped the GD600 from the vehicle. The GD600 has since been replaced. We dont think this is the problem but have detailed it in case it is relevant. Previously the ESC has been turned on. The receiver pack has been connected to the receiver and turned on.The receiver pack has 4 number 1.5 volt batteries installed, which are all brand new.The ESC is an LRP F1 Pro Reverse Digital. It has no motor limit. The BEC output voltage is 5.0 volts. The servos are Futaba S3305 heavy duty models. These servos are installed both front and rear. The motor is an Integy Lathe 65T model which has the capacitors installed. The truck is very "twitchy". It is as though the transmitter or receiver is constantly switching on and off. We have tried the truck with the ESC turned off and just the receiver pack turned on. The truck is "twitchy"but does run. We have tried with the receiver pack turned of and the esc turned on. The truck has no power and will not run. We have been through all the threads that we believe are relevant and have done what we believe is correct. Can anyone please advise further.
Tronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:45 AM   #9
MODERATOR™

Distancing the electronics from each other is a good idea. Clean wiring layout helps too.

Also, maybe your antaenna is too close to something else.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I am at the present doing what you suggest Eepee. I am re-routing the antenna and also moving the esc and the receiver as far apart from each other as what I believe I can, and having a tidy up of the wiring. I Have however been thinking about the esc. When I first found this site it encouraged me to buy a truck. I purchased a TXT 1. Further reading on this site also prompted me to buy the LRP Pro Reverse Digital ESC, as this would run the twin motors. Things have moved on and we are now running a single integy 65t motor with the gd600 as detailed in the posts above.plus the 4WS
I will detail the following specification of the ESC as printed on the side of the box. If would be helpful if one of you chaps could advise if the esc is now suitable for our requirements.

Voltage input4-7 cells 4.8-8.4 volts. Cont current [5 min] 55A
On resistance. 0.0041. Rec, motorlimit. No motor limit
Rated current. 270 A BEC output voltage 5.0v
Max current [30 sec]. 100A BEC current 30 sec 1.6A
BEC current 5 min 0.6A

Thanks fellas, and sorry If I go on a bit.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:55 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

If the truck works on with the RX pack but not the main batt, I'll have to agree that most likely the BEC is fried. Just run it with the RX pack.

The twitchiness is another issue. Definately make sure that the wiring is clean and that the antenna is not frayed anywhere. Another thing that could be causing it is arcing of the brushes at the comm.

When you installed the motors were the brushes broken in or just installed out the pack? When the motors are running do you see blue arcs from the brushes on the comm? If so retrue the comm with a lathe and verify the condition of the brushes, see if twitching goes away.
Papewayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 12:41 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well boys and girls a bit of an update.

I have re-routed everything, all the wires antenna and placed the receiver and esc as far apart as possible. I also checked the on/off switch for the esc and re-soldered the wires as I thought it did not look "good".
I plug in the receiver pack to the receiver AND turn ON the esc and all the glitching appears to have stopped. Upon reading the forums, it appears that various people with various equipment disconnect the red wire from the esc to the receiver. Is this something that you chaps think I should do. I have gone through the searches and have been unable to find anyone with my model esc who has cut the wire.

By the way.

A polar bear goes into a pub and says to the barman. "Can I have a packet of crisps and ........................................... mmmmm............................................. ...uuuhhhhhhhhhhhh................................ .................................................. .................
.................................................. ........................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
a packet of crisps". The barman replies. "certainly, but why the big pause"
The bear replies "because I am a polar bear"