Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Has anybody used the spektrum AVC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Default Has anybody used the spektrum AVC

Has anybody used the AVC spectrum units. I'm thinking of putting this on my bashers for a straighter and more controlled run. I hear they are great for high power bashers to keep them going in a straight line. I want to see if there is any real users out there of it before I drop $ into all my bashers.
djjerbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Has anybody used the spektrum AVC

I will probably buy it this summer for my RC10T4.2
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
RCC Addict

wouldnt it be the same as the drift control i think HPI made?
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Essentially, it's just a gyro controlling the steering servo. Same thing as the tail of a RC helicopter.
I even tried fitting an old Gyro on one of my cars, but heli gyros need a free channel to work.
And I have only 2 channel setups :(
Old 03-12-2014, 12:55 AM   #5

I did find out that you can just buy the receiver. It's set in the factory to 50% calibration and works with any spektrum radio. The two channel you can't adjust the settings, the 3 channel you can only adjust the steering and the 4 channel gives you both steering and throttle adjustments. I think I'm going to try it for just the receiver first in my mini e-revo and hammers for $99. If I like it I will do full set ups. I'm running on a lot of loose rock and it is a bitch to keep it straight to hit a jump right.
Old 03-12-2014, 01:33 AM   #6
RCC Addict

waste of time and cash imo!
i had the HPI drift box and it is useless haha
just another electrical component to drive you insane.
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
waste of time and cash imo! i had the HPI drift box and it is useless haha just another electrical component to drive you insane.
Your probably right, but I hope your wrong.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #8

Looking into buying a Spektrum SRS4210 so I can hopefully benefit from the AVC feature with my Spektrum DX2E radio (AVC compatible). I am thinking about installing the 4210 in a Vaterra V100 chassis, brushless Nissan GTR GT3. I would appreciate other member comments, pro or con, on how well the AVC performs on their rc. Thanks

Last edited by axialguy; 11-25-2014 at 03:16 PM.
axialguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 01:07 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Now that I have upgraded to a 4 channel TX/RX, I will try with a RC heli Gyro to control the steering servo....
I will post here my finding!!

IT's cheaper than the Spektrum unit!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:07 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Now, I just plugged the thing, and it "works". It will try to compensate the car rotation by turning the wheels...
I don't have any more test than that, since it's snowy outside and the gyro is not really waterproof!
Old 11-26-2014, 02:24 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

i put some of these in my friends cars and set them up for him, they are actually pretty good.

we put one in his slash and chucked a 3 cell on it and after tuning it in we ragged it down about 500 feet of back alley full of bumps and potholes and the sort of stuff that would normally throw you of course and keep you busy trying to keep straight lol but with the avc it actually held a pretty straight line even under full throttle and almost launching the dang thing lol, as it shot by with one front wheel lifted in the air we could see the steering constantly making adjustments to keep it going straight.

if you are hammering it fast and start turning then depending on the set throttle gain it will start backing off on the throttle whilst turning to try and keep it under control, a few times we almost flipped it but as soon as two wheels came of the ground we let go of steering/throttle and it would turn the wheels in the right direction to bring the car back down level

i was actually supprised it performed better than i was expecting it too.

tony
Awesome-Sauce RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #12

Tony*g, good review on the 4210. Thanks
Old 11-27-2014, 07:59 AM   #13
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Spektrum's AVC system is far more than just some "heli gyro" or HPI's d-box. It's a very solid stability system that has input over steering and throttle. Running just the receiver in your car will work. You have to "calibrate" it right after you bind it. It works very well! I have it in my slash 4x4 just to try it and I can see it contoling the steering if I tilt my truck one way or another. It has made the truck far more composed when im hammering on it.

Also, if your running a dx4c or a dx4s, you can dial the system I'm very accurately. You can adjust seperate steering and throttle inputs, adjust the overall level of sensitivity or even deactivate the system all from the transmitter.

Read the instructions carefully. The receiver must be placed flat and either parallel or perpendicularly in the chassis. Also, everytime the receiver is removed from the vehicle, it must be recalibrated.

It's an excellent upgrade for squirly minis, over powered bashers and ballistic speed cars.
It works so well that it's banned in all forms of racing.
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:18 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
It works so well that it's banned in all forms of racing.
I would think it's banned simply because it takes away the skill and the driver has less control not because of how well it works.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr8cture View Post
I would think it's banned simply because it takes away the skill and the driver has less control not because of how well it works.
That, but it's been proven to noticeably decrease lap times, especially in off road races.
Old 11-27-2014, 08:23 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That, but it's been proven to noticeably decrease lap times, especially in off road races.
Yeah I'm not surprised. Nothing can beat driver skill.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:20 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Yeah for peeps that cant drive, my sweet lines are never straight on a track. Even the long back stretch. Always setting up for next turn, however I can see some great uses for recreational beatdowns. Pretty neat product
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #18
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshs4x4toyz View Post
Yeah for peeps that cant drive, my sweet lines are never straight on a track. Even the long back stretch. Always setting up for next turn, however I can see some great uses for recreational beatdowns. Pretty neat product
I completely agree! I think using it in racing is cheating. But for bashing or pushing triple digits with a touring car, it can be a great asset.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #19

Surprise, suprise, my son came over for Thanksgiving and gave me an 4210. We installed and calibrated it in my Vaterra V100. We ran it on a couple test runs. At straight line speed the AVC constantly over corrected & the car weaved left & right. The stock servo overheated & appears to have sustained a catastrophic failure. We installed a spare Axial AS-3 servo, but the AVC still over corrected. We ditched the AVC & disabled it. The car runs & tracks much better with the AVC disabled & the AS-3 installed. We had a fun Thanksgiving, in spite of my son wrecking his SS on 3s at 40+mph.

Last edited by axialguy; 11-27-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-27-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
RMK
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by axialguy View Post
Surprise, suprise, my son came over for Thanksgiving and gave me an 4210. We installed and calibrated it in my Vaterra V100. We ran it on a couple test runs. At straight line speed the AVC constantly over corrected & the car weaved left & right. The stock servo overheated & appears to have sustained a catastrophic failure. We installed a spare Axial AS-3 servo, but the AVC still over corrected. We ditched the AVC & disabled it. The car runs & tracks much better with the AVC disabled & the AS-3 installed. We had a fun Thanksgiving, in spite of my son wrecking his SS on 3s at 40+mph.
That sucks! I know the as3 servo isn't digital. Was the stock servo digital? The AVC instructions do state that the system will overheat and possibly kill non digital servos. Just a heads up.