Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: moving to 3s from 2s, questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default moving to 3s from 2s, questions.

Looking into some new packs for my wraith trail/race rig. I've always ran 2s since it's what I've had but I'd like to do the standard "volt up and gear down" thing to get some more wheel speed without giving up low end torque. My packs I have now are at least four years old and starting to show it as well. One is a 5300 and the other a 6000mah both 20-30c.

I've had good luck with packs from hobby king in my b4.2, desc410, b44.1 and other stuff so I was going to go that route again. Do you guys have any input on some I should look at and some I should stay away from?

Want a similar run time as well. Only issue I can think of is it might be a bit tight under the hood with the extra thickness of the 3s. I even thought about going soft pack.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: moving to 3s from 2s, questions.

I run 3S Hobby King LiPo's on my Wraith and they have dimensions for all their stuff, so it would be easy to select one that will fit your compartment.

If you are using the stock ESC, you'll need to run an external bec for the servo with 3S
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The 65-130c nanotechs from hobbyking are great packs.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

go with the highest C rating you can get that will fit your Mah and mounting requirements. The higher the C rating the less the battery will struggle under load (depending on motor & esc).
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 03:46 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

tekin 1st gen RS and tekin pro4 3300. The castle BEC's will work with 3s right?
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:32 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Personally I'll never buy nanotech batteries again, I bought 2 (2200 3S) and both got a little puff after about 2 cycles. I have many Sky Lipo and a few Gens Ace from hobbypartz that have years worth of cycles and they still work, look, and feel as they did new, both 2s and 3s. You have to pay attention to the dimensions though, there are some that are flatter and longer that may not fit in all mount locations.
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

just to keep things into perspective for you - the Castle Creation Mamba Monster 1/8 scale motor and ESC only require a 5000 25-30c battery to provide enough current to effectively operate that monster system in a 16 pound Revo.

You do not need "the highest C rating you can find".....its a waste of money. Below is a link that will give you some good information.

TUTORIALS

Last edited by redsawacs; 03-18-2014 at 08:43 AM.
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

^its about efficiency, not just amp/current draw. If your system will be fine with a 20c, a 30c or 40c battery will never reach its peak discharge and therefore work easier and less stressful meaning a longer life.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:39 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I have always had pretty good luck with the Hobbyking batteries. I use a couple of 3S 2650Mah 35-70C batteries in my axial/or I did before I stripped it down to redo it, and never had a problem with them. I have had one or two batteries here or there that may have died a bit early from a bad cell or whatnot, but for most of my batteries being under $25 I really can't complain. I have been running the Rhino 4s2p 4000mah batteries in my Vorza buggy and with them only being 25c, I have been fairly impressed that they have not started to puff even slightly over the last few months of regular use/charge/use/charge. Heh. You may get a crappy battery here or there, but really, compared to some they are decent. My venom batteries died quicker than anything I got from HobbyKing.
Hatersauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:06 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

The higher the "C" rating of a battery, the lower the voltage drop will be under power. So more power available to the motor.
I can see the difference between my 25-30-40C batt in my Savage XS. Way more power with the 40C.
SilmarilS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:32 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
just to keep things into perspective for you - the Castle Creation Mamba Monster 1/8 scale motor and ESC only require a 5000 25-30c battery to provide enough current to effectively operate that monster system in a 16 pound Revo.

You do not need "the highest C rating you can find".....its a waste of money. Below is a link that will give you some good information.

TUTORIALS
I hate to pick..but I don't think this is true. I will check out your link...but I have to ask: Are you commenting on theory or do you know this from experience? I don't pretend to know everything about batteries and amp equations, but wouldn't it be even more important in 2s to have a high c rating?

I have 2- 25c 5000mah 2s batteries in my emaxx. If I have only 1 battery connected, My maxx will hesitate after 6sec of doing donuts. It won't do this when i have them in series or parallel.

Also, the higher c batteries are only 10% or so more in price. I can also recommend valuehobby.com. Domestic shipping.
67mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang View Post
I hate to pick..but I don't think this is true. I will check out your link...but I have to ask: Are you commenting on theory or do you know this from experience? I don't pretend to know everything about batteries and amp equations, but wouldn't it be even more important in 2s to have a high c rating?

I have 2- 25c 5000mah 2s batteries in my emaxx. If I have only 1 battery connected, My maxx will hesitate after 6sec of doing donuts. It won't do this when i have them in series or parallel.

Also, the higher c batteries are only 10% or so more in price. I can also recommend valuehobby.com. Domestic shipping.
His link explains why. As the capacity (mah) gets higher the amperage drops at a constant C rate. A 1500mah 20C battery will not have the same amperage as a 5000mah 20C battery. Running those batteries in parallel increases your amperage. Your amperage with one battery is 125 amps. Double that for two. You would need a 50C 5000mah single battery to match your parallel setup. You would need an 85C+ 3000mah battery.

It all depends on your system (batteries, ESC, Motor, Servo, other electronics) as to what amperage you will need.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:58 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

On the last paragraph about C ratings it says this:

"so 25C 5000mah packs would be a good minimum spec to look for, but you would be much better off with 30C 5000mah packs or greater; the more overhead you allow in the ratings the less stressed the packs will be during use, so the longer they will live for before they start to lose performance."

How is that not contradictory? I was trying to say that C ratings make a huge difference. I know a 1500mah 20c battery won't have near the available amperage as a 5000mah 20c. Not everyone runs a 5000mah brick. A 20c battery will not run with a 40c battery of the same mah rating.

Point is that C ratings are important and getting a high C rated battery is not a "waste of money". That's bad advice.

I was also saying that a 25c 5000mah battery isn't enough for an emaxx therefore I wouldn't run around saying that a 20c 5000mah is "suitable/adequate". I certainly wouldn't buy a 20c over a 40c to save 3.00.

I suppose it comes down to voltage drop. If you really want your basher to peter out during heavy throttle, then get the smaller C.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:58 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67mustang View Post
On the last paragraph about C ratings it says this:

"so 25C 5000mah packs would be a good minimum spec to look for, but you would be much better off with 30C 5000mah packs or greater; the more overhead you allow in the ratings the less stressed the packs will be during use, so the longer they will live for before they start to lose performance."

How is that not contradictory? I was trying to say that C ratings make a huge difference. I know a 1500mah 20c battery won't have near the available amperage as a 5000mah 20c. Not everyone runs a 5000mah brick. A 20c battery will not run with a 40c battery of the same mah rating.

Point is that C ratings are important and getting a high C rated battery is not a "waste of money". That's bad advice.

I was also saying that a 25c 5000mah battery isn't enough for an emaxx therefore I wouldn't run around saying that a 20c 5000mah is "suitable/adequate". I certainly wouldn't buy a 20c over a 40c to save 3.00.

I suppose it comes down to voltage drop. If you really want your basher to peter out during heavy throttle, then get the smaller C.
The statement is not contradictory at all. It's called a point of diminishing return and application. If your rig draws a lot of juice a higher C rated lower mah pack will be required where as a lower C rated higher mah pack will be just as useful. Running a rig with a 100 amp draw and buying a 100C 5000mah pack would and should be considered wasteful. I doubt the cost in savings of a slightly increased lifespan offsets the difference in pack price of a lower C rated pack. It's all in application.

Nobody said getting a high C rated battery was a waste of money. He said buying the highest C rating battery you can find is, and it's true. You will not need the highest C rating you can find 99% of the time. Settling for a 30c 2200mah lipo is not going to kill him if he passes over an 80c 2200mah.

I honestly have no experience with the emaxx so I have no leg in the argument.

All this article and red is saying is first you need to understand batteries and how they work for your application before making a purchase. Also, the blanket statements of "get the highest C you can afford" are flat wrong and poor advice for someone starting out.
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #15

I'm running the hobby king turnigy 2200 mah 20c that I paid $9 each and there awesome. I'm running the tekin fxr with the 35t motor. I've cycled them 5 times and haven't had a issue. I'm defentaly gonna buy more for the price your can't em. I mounted then on the side rock sliders and ran them in parellel to get 4400 mah out of them. last weekend ran for 2hrs and only used 2800 mah. just my .02
tlakose11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:31 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I think we may be splitting hairs here. Crawlers do not need high c batteries.

Also, i think battery brand, quality, and price might be throwing us off. I don't buy name brand packs. I buy cheap packs and have good success with them. I wouldn't buy a venom or max amps pack. To me, 20c is low, 60c is high. I don't usually see cheap packs offering higher than that.

For example, I just bought some gforce 60c 3s 2600mah packs for 18.90each. A 20c 2600mah 3s pack would probably run 16.90. Isn't it a no brainer to buy the 60c?

I also got some 3s 1300mah 40c for 11.90 each. Whereas a 3s 1300mah 20c will sell for 9.80. Isn't it a no brainer to buy the 40c?

I guess its all in where you shop.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Higher C ratings tend to lend themselves to higher quality packs. While I would not spring for the 100c packs for a bashing crawler with a 5000 mah ratings, I would look at them for my comp crawler in the 400-1000 mah range. The lower cell counts need higher c ratings to accommodate the higher amp draw.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post

TUTORIALS

The article you posted says the higher rating the better.

"The Brushless Emaxx and Erevo ( and Savage Flux for that matter ) require lipos capable of producing atleast 120amps, so 25C 5000mah packs would be a good minimum spec to look for, but you woudl be much better off with 30C 5000mah packs or greater; the more overhead you allow in the ratings the less stressed the packs will be during use, so the longer they will live for before they start to lose performance"
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote

moving to 3s from 2s, questions. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
moving to Vegas questions? chevysucks Chit Chat 0 04-05-2012 08:34 PM
More power and faster moving forward than moving backwards? StickyWheels Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 01-07-2012 09:11 PM
moving from CA to CO,have questions boosted4lyf Colorado 22 12-11-2010 02:41 PM
moving sambmx Chit Chat 2 10-14-2006 04:08 PM
Questions questions questions quest qowirnl RYY Newbie General 11 10-04-2006 08:18 PM