Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Is the CC MMP really THAT good as a crawler esc?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Is the CC MMP really THAT good as a crawler esc?

I think my Xerun ESC is taking a dump. It starts out the day fine then starts acting up. I believe its the esc anyway.

But it has nice drag brake and good low end control with my Tekin ROC 412 3100kv motor. My only real issue with it is the forward/reverse with no brake, there is still a little pause before it initiates the other direction.

Whats the MMP like? I don't care that it can run 6s, I only run 2s right now and maybe 3s in the future. How is the control with it? Would you say it's better than the XeRun?
jrowles91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Is the CC MMP really THAT good as a crawler esc?

The reason i went with the MMP is because you can run brushes/brushless it will handle up to 6s. I only have 3s now. It is a do everything ESC. I can't think of another ESC that i would buy that i would like better.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by k goodrich View Post
The reason i went with the MMP is because you can run brushes/brushless it will handle up to 6s. I only have 3s now. It is a do everything ESC. I can't think of another ESC that i would buy that i would like better.
How is the drag brake? What rig do you have yours in? Is there a pause between going forward to reverse?
Old 03-22-2014, 04:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

if you want real control over that roc 412 get a tekin esc. smother faster more tune ability, better control and a trusted name. the mmp is good for bashing around but not too good on the fine control. atleast mine is not i run it on 3s and i feel like it just pours the power to the motor rather than letting you allow this much power or that much power. IMO but thats just me.
gunder463 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 04:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunder463 View Post
if you want real control over that roc 412 get a tekin esc. smother faster more tune ability, better control and a trusted name. the mmp is good for bashing around but not too good on the fine control. atleast mine is not i run it on 3s and i feel like it just pours the power to the motor rather than letting you allow this much power or that much power. IMO but thats just me.
Well, I looked at the RS and I thought it was for 2 pole motors only? I'd much rather buy Tekin (I'm a rather large Tekin fanboy), but I thought it wasn't capable and my RX8 is WAY to big.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The 2WD rating really only pertained to offroad racing applications. For crawlers and scale rigs, the RS and RSGen2 can both be used with ROC 412 motors. I currently run an RS Gen2 and ROC 412 3100kV in my 1.9 scaler.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The 2WD rating really only pertained to offroad racing applications. For crawlers and scale rigs, the RS and RSGen2 can both be used with ROC 412 motors. I currently run an RS Gen2 and ROC 412 3100kV in my 1.9 scaler.
Do you know what was upgraded from the gen1 to the gen2? Is there a place to add extra cooling to those esc's? I'm coming up on 120* summer days here in a couple months.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i believe they changed they technology inside making them more efficent and more tun ablity and there isnt a place for more cooling its just more advanced software and components in the esc, and 120* days have never effect my rs gen2 it seems to alwase run cool on 2s and just a little warm on 3s but if you were worried about heat you can alwase make up a little fan bracket to hold a fan over the esc and wire it into the receiver
Old 03-22-2014, 04:36 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
i believe they changed they technology inside making them more efficent and more tun ablity and there isnt a place for more cooling its just more advanced software and components in the esc, and 120* days have never effect my rs gen2 it seems to alwase run cool on 2s and just a little warm on 3s but if you were worried about heat you can alwase make up a little fan bracket to hold a fan over the esc and wire it into the receiver
You have 120 days too? lol.. I noticed these motors are amazing. I can't even tell mine is on and has just driven for 2 hours. It stays "room temperature".
Old 03-22-2014, 04:55 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

tekin really know electronics, and yeah i have them here unfortunately. and i run a couple of my tekin systems in the hot hot desert hah they run great
Old 03-22-2014, 05:09 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:

Its not just you. The MMP is not the smoothest esc by a long shot with non sensored brushless. The only reason I even own one is because of the sensor port along with 6s capabilities.
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Its not just you. The MMP is not the smoothest esc by a long shot with non sensored brushless. The only reason I even own one is because of the sensor port along with 6s capabilities.
its a good basher esc, thats why i have a couple haha.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:38 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I run the MMP everywhere. On 3 crawlers, 2 racers and had one on a rally car. I like em.

2 crawlers are brushed, one has a roc 412 3100kv. The others are all brushless. Not one failure yet.
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I don't doubt their quality, just the ability to crawl really
Old 03-23-2014, 01:14 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Now I don't own one of these (except the one that went up in flames...) but "everything" is programmable on them. I'm a bit new to these aspects of rc electronics, but there must be some programmable features that would increase it's crawling performance? I've not tried any sensored system that has the same smooth feeling of a brushed setup, but they are all pretty ok even if built and set up for speed.
Odd-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #16

I just got a CC SW3 and it's so sick I got one for every vehicle I own! Waterproof, highly programmable, and waterproof! I saved my crawler settings and transferred them over to my other truck too! I know we're talking about the MMP here, and while I have no experience with it, I do highly recommend CASTLE products! You can't go wrong.

... ...
Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrowles91 View Post
Do you know what was upgraded from the gen1 to the gen2? Is there a place to add extra cooling to those esc's? I'm coming up on 120* summer days here in a couple months.
We changed lots, it's a different board layout, much more efficient design, added the HotWire port on top, data logging, HV BEC and 5amps vs 3amps of the GEN1. It's a lot smoother and works great in both my 1.9 rigs running the ROC412!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:44 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Not smooth running non sensored brushless? Name an esc that is smooth with non sensored motors.

I've been happy with my sv2 & sv3 running both brushed and non sensored brushless. I ha e an old dead mamba max I'm waiting to send in till the mmp2 is released. My rx8 fully kicks ass too.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:55 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I have mamba 25s, mamba micros, sidewinders v1,v2, wp , mamba max , mmp , and they are super smooth on brushed motors and the mmp runs equally smooth on my sensored bl setup i use all of them on crawlers, 1.9 , 2.2 sportsman , 2.2 pro , supers and also on my scalers
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote

Is the CC MMP really THAT good as a crawler esc? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
good esc for a novak 17.5 crawler motor? m1009cucv Electronics 8 10-07-2012 09:22 AM
Good cheap ESC for crawler? racenut Electronics 4 06-19-2009 10:10 AM