Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: motor help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default motor help

hey everyone.i have a 1/8 avalanche that ive been building for quite a while now.im down to all my electronics.im pretty much set on the holmes brxl esc because it can handle anything brushed.i just cant figure out which route to go with my motor setup.the truck weighs 10 pounds without any electronics.it will be mainly a basher, hillclimbs/mud/running around with a little bit of a homemade rock pile.i have an scx10 trans with hotracing dig and steel gears.i want mostly torque and wheel speed.would it be best to run dual motors on my scx10 trans or get a summit trans with a good single motor.im stuck and am very ready to get this one running.if anyone has a better option im all eyes.all help is greatly appreciated.thanks in advance.
newbiecrawler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: motor help

If it were me, I would go with a summit trans and a decent motor. With the scx10 trans you will either get torque or speed depending on motor turns, and gearing and will sacrifice one over the other. With the summit trans you get a little of both..... But that's just my opinion. And the summit trans is just cool

Cheers
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 03-25-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

thank you for the reply wade.the summit trans was a cool factor to me as well.i just wasn't sure if it was necessary to have both torque and wheel speed.i knew it would be faster but wasn't sure how slow it would be in 1st (or low) as far as wheel speed although torque seemed to be spot on.also wasn't sure if it would have much torque in second for hill climbs or muddy rooster tails.i saw somewhere that second cant carry much if any of a load.I'm still researching the summit trans on durability and power out put.what iv'e seen so far it's pretty sweet.but just don't want to spend $100 on something i don't need.
Old 03-25-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Well you could use the scx trans, since you have the steel gears in it. If you get a 35t motor you will have middle of the road torque and speed. If you move to a 27t or 20t your speed will increase, but the torque for crawling will decrease. If you go 45t or 55t torque increases but speed decreases. It is hard to get the best of both worlds.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:38 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

yessir that was another point for the summit trans.was the two far apart ratios for torque and speed.I guess the rule for our 1.1 trucks comes to play here as well (you gotta pay to play).I've seen a few members on here with summit transmissions in their scx10s but i don't believe any of them weigh over 10 pounds once completed,but who knows.if i do go the summit trans drrection what would be a good motor (turn count) or brand to look into.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:29 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

You mentioned your truck weighs 10lbs, I wonder what the weight of a summit is? The summit is a pretty big truck. Since you stated you were going the Holmes Brxl route, I would say stay with one of his motors also. But Tekin and Brood make great motors also. As far as what type of Holmes meaning crawlmaster/torquemaster etc. im not sure, I know I am going to use a 35t crawlmaster in my builds because it gives decent torque and decent wheel speed, but that is mostly for a trail/crawler rig. Where as you might want more speed for bashing which I am thinking 27t or 20t. Maybe someone else could chime in on this. I tried doing the same sort of thing, but then I realized it was just easier to have two different vehicles a dedicated basher and a dedicated trail/crawler. One thing I really liked is what some have done with a summit called a "Summit LT" which is basically a scale looking summit with speed and crawling ability.....but too much $$$$ for my liking lol. Maybe look into what motors they have used in those builds

Cheers,
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 03-25-2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Ok just checked, the summit w/batteries weighs 12.7lbs, and uses a titan 775 motor. The motors I suggested might be under powered for you application, I'm not sure but I don't want to steer you in the wrong direction. I know you don't have a summit but the weight is close and yours is 1/8 so more power is needed to haul a$$. The other thing I am thinking is maybe go brushless, since you didn't get the brxl yet.....and I know you were kinda set on that, but brushless might be another option.

Last edited by Wade; 03-25-2014 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

wow.Maybe one day ill have the kind of knowledge about rc as you do.i really do appreciate all of your replies wade.i was on fleebay and saw a summit 1/10 trans with everything on it for cheap sooooo it will be here by Monday.but yes i'm running a 1/8 it has 2.2 mudslingers with beadocks and wraith axles.i figure after esc/motor/reciever and battery are on the rig i'll be close to 13 pounds.give or take a few ounces.so if that titan 775 motor runs that traxxas decently i should be ok with a motor close to its specs right .i'm not really looking to fly around too much if itll do 18 to 20 im fine with that i dont need a 40mph rig.i'm more into wheel speed with alot of umph behind it.i saw a kershaw designs dewalt motor 820 tha'ts for the summits but i dont think it would run for too long drawing that kind of power 14.4 volts unless i haul around a car battery
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Your welcome, I have learned a lot by trial and error......mostly error . I have read that some people have used the motors I recommended on some pretty heavy wraiths and they seemed to work ok. But i think maybe a motor closer to a titan 775 might work better. The titans go for under $35, don't really know how good they are though. If money isn't an issue castle has their mamba monster 1/8 brushless system for around <$250 but your looking at max speed over torque, but it is good for trucks up to 15lbs according to the specs on their site. I personally would go cheap first and see what works best for you, most likely the titan and then if that gives you close to what you want, go with with a better motor with similar specs

Last edited by Wade; 03-25-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:00 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

good deal. ill get a titan 775 and a few different pinions to see what fits best.thanks again
Old 03-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

No problem, your welcome. Yeah just keep it cheap and simple at first. It's hard to make recommendations since this is more of a hybrid build, not saying it can't be done... Just some trials to see what fits better. And once you get it dialed in, then run that motor till it disintegrates lol. Then get a better motor. There are a lot of options out there. Also I appreciate the comment of me knowing a lot about rc's. I've been in the hobby for awhile, but I have learned a lot from this forum too. If you can post up some pics of your build. We like pictures lol
Old 03-26-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

photo IMG_20140320_174500.jpg  photo IMG_20140320_174509.jpg  photo IMG_20140320_174718.jpg
front bumper is over 2 pounds. it looks bare but ive got a 1/8 3racing winch coming to fix that.nothing special but it is cool imho
Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Nice looking truck. Now I see that its an "avalanche" I was under the impression it was a redcat racing avalanche which is 1/8 lol
Yeah the titan should make it haul a$$. And if that is too much then try a 27t or even a 35t. I like the 35t because it is the middle of the road power. And Like I said I tried the all around basher/crawler and I gave up. Now I have an e maxx for bashing, might sell that though and do a 4x4 slash MT conversion for bashing, my trail/crawlers are in the build process. But good luck with your endeavor....you probably have more patience then me lol
Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

i could fit all my patience in a tic tac.but my method of bashing it just literaly driving around our property here. i've got about 300 acres.my bashing would be better described as (trail riding) most likely thanks again for all your help
Old 03-28-2014, 07:19 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

i have another question after researching the titan 775 motor that i was advised. and researching the dewalt 14.4 motor by kershaw. I'm going to go that route it will do anything i want it to its cheaply rebuildable and tough as nails.but now im stuck on what c rating batteries ill need to power it.i don't want to burn up a battery by overdrawing power so what would be a safe c rating to run? ill be getting 4s 5000mah or bigger.thanks in advance