Notices

Thread: New Voltage Regulator Device, No more receiver packs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
The Wheels Keep Turning

Default New Voltage Regulator Device, No more receiver packs

"POWER FORCE" Voltage Regulator

https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.h...roducts&cat=28

(you have to scroll down to the item and click on it for all the details, which are the same as those provided below.)

The "Power Force" is designed specifically for powering high current flight electronics (receivers and servos) in radio controlled aircraft. It can be used in sport, giant scale, and electric planes and helicopters. It is ideal for use in aircraft with dual radio systems. Outputs are user selectable, 5V or 6V. Extremely low dropout regulator maintains maximum 0.15V drop, even if the battery voltage decreases under full load (e.g. if battery outputs 4.8V, the VRLI2 outputs 4.65V minimum. The VRLI2 supplies up to 10A continuous current, sufficient for driving a plane-full of high torque and/or digital servos, as well as standard, micro, and mini servos. Status LEDs provide quick indication of battery condition. Includes on/off switch with failsafe operation and will not drain the battery when switch is off.

Retail: $79.95

The "Power Force" accepts inputs from 2s to 4s LiPo packs, or 5 to 12 cell NiCd/NiMH packs. Includes heavy duty F/J input connector, as well as Deans Ultra input connector for high current applications.
Size: 2.54x1.44x1.05
Ratings: 5V LDO, 10A max.
Power Source: Input on either Heavy Duty Universal F/J connector or Deans Ultra
Outputs: Dual, Heavy Duty Universal F/J connector
Applications: Sport to Giant Scale, supports multiple high torq, high speed, and digital servos
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-26-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

These folks also make some nice regulators.
They may not be suitable for Li-Po cells, but they're great for NiCad & NiMH

Site: http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html

ACC134S 6-Volt Regulator MK II for Hitec/JR, Futaba J
Current: 10 Amp continuous, 20 Amp peak @7.2V input,
Input Range: 4.0V-8.4V
Price is $19.95

ACC234 Adjustable HD Regulator
• Adjustable output voltage,
• Large heat sink for optimum performance,
• Weight only 1.4 oz, • Current: 15 Amp continuous, 30 Amp peak @7.4V input.
• Output voltage range: 4.8-16V. Input voltage must be at least 1V higher than output.
Note: Current capacity drops as input voltage increases.
Price is $34.95
BultacoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 09:19 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

An alternative to an external RX pack
Jeckler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 07:39 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

the ones by maxprod are less than 5 bucks to make yourself. they are ineffecient too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 03:32 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Maybe I'm not understanding this right, but this wouldnt replace your RX pack, it would add on to it. You would have to power this device with a separate battery pack, like an RX pack.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 08:58 PM   #6

Power is taken off of the main battery pack. I stock the Koolflightsystems UBEC that can take up to 40V input and out 6V at 3 amps cont./5 amps burst and has conformal coating for water resistance. I'm just entering the crawling scene and hope to have my Rage chassis Clod in action soon!
starluckrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
Maybe I'm not understanding this right, but this wouldnt replace your RX pack, it would add on to it. You would have to power this device with a separate battery pack, like an RX pack.
The separate pack would be the 6 cell or more pack(s) you are using to power the motor(s)

Voltage regulators are used when two digital servos draw more current than your ESC is capable of supplying and you do NOT want to run an Rx pack. The BEC would supply the power to your Rx and the voltage regulator will reduce the 7.2 volts (or more) from your battery pack to a safe 6.0 volts for your servos. An alternative is to use servos rated for 7.2 volts or use servos that don’t exceed the current capabilities of your ESC. The goal is to eliminate the extra weight of an Rx pack. Another factor is that most Rx packs can’t be recharged as rapidly as the 7.2 volt packs.
BultacoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2005, 09:42 PM   #8

Are they just for the Li-Po batterys. I think I am going to need a picture, I got nothing?
Keiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:37 PM   #9

you can use them with any batteries. all a BEC or UBEC does is regulate the voltage so that you dont fry your servos. it can replace a heavy, annoying rx pack. most speed controls have this built in, but they just cant handle the amp draw of high torque servos.

i stand corrected on the UBEC on the maxxprod site, they are FET run, and not just a voltage burning peice of junk. im gonna buy a couple and check them out.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:30 PM   #10

So what would the wire digram be like on a crawler. With one servo, then advancing to a secound later down the road?
I know nothing about ele. eveything I own is NITRO.
Keiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 11:46 PM   #11

good link Jeckler
An alternative to an external RX pack

and Keiger-
you only need a UBEC if your speed control wont handle your servos. as far as i know 1/4 scale servos only need rx packs or UBEC's to supply enough current.

if you were to use a UBEC, then you would want to disable the BEC on your electronic speed control (a.k.a. ESC). you do this by taking the red wire out of the three wire RX plug. then the UBEC hooks straight up into the battery alongside the ESC in parallel wiring. the UBEC then hooks up to the servo via a Y harness and it powers the electronics instead of the ESC's BEC.

enough acronyms yet?

StarluckRC!!! you are here!! nice to see you here, maybe you can help brushless get a hold in crawling too. that 6 pole 400 mega combo you have mentioned sounds like just the ticket. you have a figure on that and a good programable esc yet?

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 01-28-2005 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:29 AM   #12
Moderator Rule Breaker

so this regulator will work 1/4 scale servos ? I'am running reg 1/4 scale servo and digital 1/4 scale servo.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 08:42 AM   #13

the MPI 10 amp continuous one would just fine.
Old 02-17-2005, 08:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Has anyone got the chance to run one of these yet? Hopefully one of the cheaper ones?
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote