Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Heyok Winch Controller Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 06:08 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Heyok Winch Controller Problems

Hey guys, I just recently purchased a std. 3 pos. winch controller from Al at Heyok. I have installed it into a Towerpro 995 servo controlled with a DX3C/sr300. The problem is when the system is powered up the winch creeps, it turns its self on/off random(even the "on" time is random). I have tried to adjust my radios endpoints but to no avail. Its running on 6v from the rx. and a cc bec. What am I missing or did I get a dud controller?

I am asking here(on RCC) because I have not recieved a return email from Al @ Heyok.
Dualdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2014, 06:52 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Heyok Winch Controller Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualdigger View Post
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a std. 3 pos. winch controller from Al at Heyok. I have installed it into a Towerpro 995 servo controlled with a DX3C/sr300. The problem is when the system is powered up the winch creeps, it turns its self on/off random(even the "on" time is random). I have tried to adjust my radios endpoints but to no avail. Its running on 6v from the rx. and a cc bec. What am I missing or did I get a dud controller?

I am asking here(on RCC) because I have not recieved a return email from Al @ Heyok.

Hey digger, Al is still on vacation. i'm sure he will contact you as soon as he gets back. FYI every time someone has had an issue with one of these controllers its always been in the setup. its possible but highly unlikely the controller is a dud. only one person has had a bad controller out of the dozens i've sold.

HTH
Blue Monkey RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:18 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the heads up, I will keep messing with it until I hear back from Al.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Hey,try to adjust the subtrim on your radio.
Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:38 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Which winch controller is it. I had the same thing happen when I was using a spektrum radio. I ended up selling it and using a futaba. I know other guys in the club that have had issues with heyok controllers and spektrum radio gear.
fish-hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:01 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Its the std. 3 pos. controller. I'm going to try some of the suggestions Al gave me tonight and I will update this thread on my findings. I hope it's not a Spektrum thing.
Old 05-24-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

So after trying everything short of a new radio it still isn't right. So Al is sending me a replacement to try. If it doesn't work I would say it's the radio. I can say that Al @ Heyok is great to deal with and I'm not discouraged and look forward to trying some of his light controllers. I hope I get this fixed for the STEG-6 next weekend.
Old 05-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Al has super customer service and make it right for sure or help with radio issues if that the case
kunas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:50 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Just so I don't leave this hanging, I got a new winch controller from Al @ heyok and it did the same thing. I was able to slow it's creeping frequency to about 1-3 mins by turning the subtrim on my radio max one way(h150) I believe. I also tried both my spectrum radios with it a dx3e/c. The funny thing is with a 3racing controller I have no problems what so ever. I eventually installed a on/off switch to manage the winches down time. My service was great from heyok and I recommend them to everyone and I will even be purchasing some light controllers from him in the future. Just be aware that the std. 3 pos. Winch controllers might not work with cheaper spektrum radios.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:23 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualdigger View Post
Just so I don't leave this hanging, I got a new winch controller from Al @ heyok and it did the same thing. I was able to slow it's creeping frequency to about 1-3 mins by turning the subtrim on my radio max one way(h150) I believe. I also tried both my spectrum radios with it a dx3e/c. The funny thing is with a 3racing controller I have no problems what so ever. I eventually installed a on/off switch to manage the winches down time. My service was great from heyok and I recommend them to everyone and I will even be purchasing some light controllers from him in the future. Just be aware that the std. 3 pos. Winch controllers might not work with cheaper spektrum radios.
Al is great to deal with and will stand behind his products. I happen to know he is trying to figure out this spectrum issue as we speak! I'm sure he will get it beat!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:25 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I have spektrum dx3r and the same thing is happening with mine. it creeps and pulled so tight it snapped my line that came with the km3 winch. what do i do?
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 08:08 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama View Post
I have spektrum dx3r and the same thing is happening with mine. it creeps and pulled so tight it snapped my line that came with the km3 winch. what do i do?
As I wrote in the other place that you posted: I have responded to your PM.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I too can also say that Al's customer service is phenomenal. I have also had problems with the winch controllers and a cheap spektrum dx3e. When I finally upgraded to a futaba 4pls all of the issues went away. Save up and get a better radio. I know it can be difficult to justify the expense but in my experience a quality transmitter makes rcing that much more enjoyable
yotapower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

What about an alternative midgrade transmitter any suggestions
panama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:55 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by panama View Post
What about an alternative midgrade transmitter any suggestions
A hacked flysky gt3 might fit the bill. I debated getting a gt3c because they are cheap but I decided the 4pls was better for me since Harley has a 200 some page thread on futaba tips and tricks.
yotapower07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #16

Hey guys...just purchased a Heyok 2 pos 3rd channel controller....hooked it up yesterday to my RC4wd winch, worked awesome....perfect. So I put the truck away, came back today, hooked it up, and nothing. The winch doesn't work at all. I unhooked it and hooked my snow plow up to make sure it wasn't my receiver, plow worked perfectly. It has to be either the controller or the winch, both of which were fine yesterday.

One questin I have is this: Do you need to put the winch in the the "off" position when it winds up to the truck? Or does the controller sense that and shut off? The winch quit pulling and turned off, so I assumed the controller automatically shut off, like the junky RC4wd controller used to.

Waiting on reply from Al, so figured I'd throw this post out there. Thanks...
HockmanRCBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #17

I should add, it's a Spektrum DXS radio......all endpoints at 100%, trim at 0.
HockmanRCBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:25 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

None of mine have an automatic shut off, if it just shut off on its own something's broken.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:45 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

My reply to the PM about this question was something like this:
If the winch is left on when the end of the cable is reached, the winch will keep pulling until something breaks.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

A buddy of mine is having the same issue as the OP (at least as I've interpreted it). He has a 3Pos Heyok controller running a servo winch. DX4C radio with a switch set to 3Pos. He used to run it on a Traxxas Tqi 4ch with teh silver toggle modded to be the 3pos switch. Never a problem with this one.

His reacts like this. Retract the winch line and return the 3pos on the DX4C to "off". Out of no where, the winch will creep for a split second, then a few seconds later, it creeps again. This keeps up for quite a while. Winch it in and it goes out a little again. To confirm it wasn't the winch, we hooked up a 3Racing winch and the same thing happened. To combat this we wired in a switch to deactivate the controller when not in use, then switch it on when ready to use.

Could this be something with the Spektrum radios? Using those momentary toggle switches as 3Pos?

He's getting by just fine like this, but would like to help him out if I can.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote

Heyok Winch Controller Problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
beefy winch and heyok controller vegas1973 Electronics 1 05-02-2014 10:01 AM
Heyok winch controller fish-hunter Electronics 8 10-24-2013 09:32 AM