Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New to RC.. Please help!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 03:06 PM   #1

Default New to RC.. Please help!!

Ok so I just bought my very first rig. (Not even a week ago) I purchased it used for a decent price with upgrades. Well after running it a little I'm having some issues that I need help diagnosing.

The rig is running a torque master 35T motor with a BR-XL esc. I have the savox 1230sg servo as well. I am currently not running an external BEC. (I know, I know I need to get one) at least I think I do.

My problem is this.. the rig while running will just stop at random times. It doesn't matter if I am going slow or full throttle. It's like it cuts in and out.

Now my confusion is that to my understanding, the Holmes BR-XL has an internal BEC so I shouldn't have to run an external.

Battery is a 3s 4000

Any help would be appreciated. Pretty disappointed since I haven't been able to get out and run the rig. (It doesn't help that I snapped one drive shaft and twisted two others...) MIP on the way though
NVEOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New to RC.. Please help!!

I had that same problem on my mrc and I had to use a external bec wired straight to the servo and it fix it . Hope this helps good luck
Javi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 04:05 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I agree with the above statement. A Castle BEC is a must on every build I do now.

You've got a nice setup. It sounds like you are browning out the ESC.
Too much amp draw on the internal BEC for the BXRL to handle. This causes the voltage to drop, causing the Receiver to be starved of power. Causing the temporary loss of control.
You may be going slow, but that can cause even more amp draw. A better way to test, is with the rig on a stand or something similar. Does it still cut out?
Intermittent loss of power points to these things -

Low battery (Low Voltage Cutoff)
Bad Receiver (Could just be starved of voltage)
Bad ESC (Less likely because the problem is intermittent)
robertjpjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Is there any binding in the driveline? Bearings going bad etc? When it's moving if something starts binding putting extra draw on the Esc it can cause a brown out and make it stop and or reset. An external bec is much better than any internal bec because its a constant voltage output unlike the internal which has other functions also drawing power from the Esc.

I'd start by checking the driveshafts and axles for binding as well as adding an external bec.

--Dan
sickcivic95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

The drive shafts were the stock ones. This is the wraith btw. I twisted one during the test drive before purchasing, then again in my yard and snapped the other. I have already ordered the MIP shafts to replace the stock plastic ones.

This was a thought I had as well. I was going to test it out after installing the new shafts to see if the problem persisted or not.
NVEOUS is offline   Reply With Quote