Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: what should I do?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default what should I do?

my esc just took a dump on me and I'm not sure what I should do. I'm running a 4linked crawler with nylint axles(extended gear case) with a traxxas xl-1 esc/traxxas receiver /hs5645mg and 7cell stick. after 10min of crawling around the esc stopped working. when the throttle is pressed the led lights up but very dim and no power is sent to the axles or servo. I just got the esc on the 23rd of last month so should I just send it in on the warranty or should I opted for another esc? suggestions? which esc preferably?

thanks
heeper40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

i would sent it in for sure. if anything you will have a backup esc. in thhe meantime you may want to look into a moped or similar ESC if your using a lathe motor
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 07:46 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have a Rooster and a Super Rooster available.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 12:45 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

okay......right now I'm so frustrated with my rc I'm about to just give up on the crap. I stopped by the LHS and picked up a JR sc-1 esc to use for the moment (novak super duty on order). earlier tonight I tried to install the esc and here's what happened. I plugged in the esc to the radio, plugged in the battery(7cell c stick) and started the programming of the esc. about 1 minute later I notice that the esc started to get warm and then almost immediately it started to smoke . And the motor leads weren't even hooked up. I check the wirings and everthings good I have never been so frustrated with building this crawler!!!!!!!! please help me with ideas or so.....
Old 11-26-2006, 01:02 AM   #5
MWRCA'er

Your not running a reciever pack or regulator right?

We could name off lots of things, but pictures of your setup would really point out possible errors.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:28 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnster

We could name off lots of things, but pictures of your setup would really point out possible errors.
no reciever packs or regs. just the main pack going into the reciever with the standard batt connectors. it's just the basic setup. the reciever is a JR 135 and the esc is a JR as well. the plug that goes into the reciever will only go in one way and I didn't even plug in the servo.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:41 AM   #7
MWRCA'er

How are your motors wired?
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:48 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I would say that it might have something to do with the extra cell in your battery pack. Try a 6 cell, and see if that works.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:40 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
How are your motors wired?

It's wired in series...I'll get more power to turn the rear axles when it gets hung up as opposed to wiring in paralell- only the front will turn when there's load present on the rear since there's less load in the front

Last edited by heeper40; 11-26-2006 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:45 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

You should do a search and read about parallel and series wiring for Clods (and Nyjunks).
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
You should do a search and read about parallel and series wiring for Clods (and Nyjunks).
I sure did do the search of the wiring and tried both but for some reason series performed the best for me in the NYJUnK--maybe because of the crazy low gears
Old 11-26-2006, 02:01 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4link4eva
I would say that it might have something to do with the extra cell in your battery pack. Try a 6 cell, and see if that works.
I've tried that as well too using a 6cell aa pack. I can't even plug in the batt cus it'll start to sizzle/smoke...
Old 11-26-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:

Old 11-27-2006, 06:37 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

so what do you guys think is wrong with my setup/wiring? any Ideas?
Old 11-27-2006, 11:04 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

anybody???please help me out guys
Old 11-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

If you let the smoke out of the ESC, it's toast. I'm pretty sure the SC-1 is only good for six cells, so next time pay attention to the rated voltage. You may be able to get it repaired under warranty if nobody at Horizon reads this thread

The other possibility is that all the HG electronics were protesting at having to go into a Nylint
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:02 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I have only 2 theories of what may have happened to the esc.
1. the esc was a bad egg that got through the quality control dept.

2. The esc may have been damaged before I have gotten it from the LHS. Maybe somebody i.e. employee, had taken the esc out and used it and screwed it up then put it back in the box. The reason why I say this is because the box that the esc comes in doesn't have any kind of factory seal on it and that now that I think about it the guy who sold it to me seemed to really wanted me to buy the esc-it was his recommendation over the others....I'm basically screwed because they do have a no return policy on these electronics.....I did examined the esc at the shop before I got it and it looked fine to me other than the very light scuff marks on the back of the esc and the sticker with some numbers on it kinda peeling a little on the edges but stupid me I should of had em' installed it in an rc and tested it before I bought it
Old 11-29-2006, 12:22 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by microgoat
If you let the smoke out of the ESC, it's toast. I'm pretty sure the SC-1 is only good for six cells, so next time pay attention to the rated voltage. You may be able to get it repaired under warranty if nobody at Horizon reads this thread

The other possibility is that all the HG electronics were protesting at having to go into a Nylint
what is it with all this hatred towards the el cheapo nyjunk crawlers? I don't understand why there should be less toys out there dedicated towards rock crawling? If all you nyjunk haters out there ever want rc crawlers to be as popular as nitro monster trucks out there then ya'll need to apprieciate nylints step in making these el cheapo 4wd toys. Otherwise there will never be any competition in marketing rc crawlers and that means that you'll always have to pay an arm&leg for custom crawler parts and such. I own a tlt/goliath rc crawler and both have it's goods and bads but I don't go bashing on the one that sucks the most.

A good example: Paintball. 10yrs ago to be able to play paintball one have to cough out a crap load of $$$ for equipment and such. Brass eagle-the el cheapo paintball company decides to market the cheap plastic markers and wally world started to sell them. From there on the popularity of paintballing grew because of the cheapo toys. People would buy the cheapo toys play with- then fall in love with the game and go full boar with now buying profession grade guns/gear. I know because that was how me and my bro's ended up doing....this is the same thing that can happen to rc crawling as well. sorry about the ranting but I just feel that people need to look at the bigger picture of things before they start bashing on other stuff