Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ditching my BEC for a 2S lipo 7954SH

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ditching my BEC for a 2S lipo 7954SH

I have constant issues with my CC BEC. The BEC is wired to the servo correctly (power wires from BEC to servo. Ground and signal from servo to receiver) but I have issues with the BEC browning out and my servo stops responding.

I've contacted castle and they recommended running a high C battery. I've tested all of my packs including a brand new 2200 25c+ discharge pack and still have issues with the servo browning out. ESC and receiver still function fine but the BEC just fails to deliver any power to the servo.

With all that said I'm just going to move to a 2S lipo. Anyone else running a setup like this? According to hitecs website it looks fine to run the servo off a 2S. Should I just wire is straight up or would it be wise to add any caps in line?
Savagethrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Ditching my BEC for a 2S lipo 7954SH

Dont matter what battery ya use(2s,3s, 4s, 6s)if ya wire(solder)bec to power leads on esc & plug into bind or batt/power on rec. You will need to set bec to proper voltate for servo! For most hitec servos 7.4v is common but check on specs to confirm. You will need a castle link to do this through usb on computer
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

It is set for 7.4V

The bec just powers off itself off it seems. This is why I am so boggled.
Old 11-16-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Do you have it wired to battery esc leads?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yes.

BEC input leads are tapped into ESC power leads. BEC output positive and negative go to servo. Negative BEC also goes to rx (tried negative to RX and negative without - same issue). Signal from BEC is capped off. Signal wire from servo goes to rx.

BEC set at 7.4V and running a 3S lipo setup so I really doubt a fresh pack is dropping that hard to flick the BEC off. It must just be bad is all I can figure.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:15 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Just never wired one up that way? Holmes hobbies sales a y that allows you to bypass rec with servo lead. Ya plug single end into rec with bec in one side of y & servo in other side. I have a couple rigs with these y's but others just straight into rec...I would try it that way but ya may be right bec could be bad?
Old 11-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Try it with the signal wire from the bec plugged in. I have never seen anything that says to remove the bec signal, so I would say it probably does something.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 09:33 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by micro racer View Post
Try it with the signal wire from the bec plugged in. I have never seen anything that says to remove the bec signal, so I would say it probably does something.
Alright that will be my next test then. Pretty sure all the guides I've seen have the signal wired capped off but no harm in trying I guess. Just hope I don't end up as one of the BEC horror stories where it pops all of my electronics
Old 11-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

On mine, all 3 wires are connected all the way up till I drop the power wire at the rx.. Signal wire runs all the way, as does the ground.
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
On mine, all 3 wires are connected all the way up till I drop the power wire at the rx.. Signal wire runs all the way, as does the ground.

So i have my signal wire from the BEC in hand right now (orange). Should I tie the signal wire right into the signal wire for the servo? That doesn't seem right. I don't power the rx at all with the BEC it's just the servo. I have 3 plugs into my RX, two from my M2 dig (I know, I know) and then the steering servo plug with signal wire to servo, ground wire to servo and BEC with power wire disconnected.

I could connect the signal wire to a different port on the RX instead?

Last edited by Savagethrash; 11-17-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:19 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Make a y-cable for you servo and bec. Start with something like this and just remove the red wire on the male side. Plug the servo and BEC in to the female side, and don't remove any wires from either.

This will work with any single male/double female y-cable; I just prefer the one I linked to because it looks cleaner.
micro racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

I have several trucks running servos that are powered directly off the main 2s pack. Most of them are Hitec 79** series.

I just solder the servo power wires to the ESC's battery input wires and then plug the remaining signal wire into the receiver.

If you can limit yourself to strictly running 2s packs and "high voltage" rated servos than there is no genuine need for an external BEC.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
I have several trucks running servos that are powered directly off the main 2s pack. Most of them are Hitec 79** series.

I just solder the servo power wires to the ESC's battery input wires and then plug the remaining signal wire into the receiver.

If you can limit yourself to strictly running 2s packs and "high voltage" rated servos than there is no genuine need for an external BEC.

Well that there is my issue. I want to be able to run 3S packs. 55T on a two cell is just slow in my opinion. I'm debating tucking a 2S pack somewhere for just the servo. Not ideal but if it eliminates my glitch I will be a happy camper. I was thinking I could also add a capacitor between the battery and BEC. I know there is one on the ESC but I'm wondering if a larger one would help. I could also then tuck the BEC under the servo (with the removed stock cap) and leave the new cap heat shrinked to the main power leads.

I'm waiting on a few parts before I tear down my rig. I will test connecting the signal wire from the BEC to the ESC but I'm suspicious as to it helping
Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I've always soldered the bec power leads into the esc/battery connection and plugged the bec into the RX with the servo pulling all everything though the RX, I think your issue is that the power is getting to low in the RX a lot of the 2.4 RX have a pre programed fail safe, I've run my HSR-5990TG this way for 5-6yrs I run a CC one cell ESC so there's no other bec in my system.

I've just hooked my bec up and there is a new firmware update.
crawlinisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:15 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I hooked up a couple weeks ago and there was no update. The power isn't run through my RX so I cant see it being the issue. I never lose throttle response just steering as the BEC is wired straight though to the servo.

I'll check again for an update. I just can't figure out why I am having an issue with the bec. Doesn't make sense as to why it cuts out when I apply a load. I would think the BEC would be able to stay steady and not flick off when I apply the throttle and want to turn the vehicle at the same time. I have this thing wired properly and tested a bunch of batteries. Perhaps I need to question the integrity of this BEC itself.

Either way I am tearing it all down (again) in a couple days and will test all the advice posted and then replace the BEC if need be. I've been in touch with CC and Novak about this now.

Ditching my BEC for a 2S lipo 7954SH - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ditching brushless and going back to brushed GOATN Electronics 3 08-11-2014 08:44 PM
Hitec HS-7954SH, Do i need a bec? Trentenowns Electronics 7 12-17-2012 09:44 PM
ditching cantilevers..... cydog510 Tamiya CR-01 17 07-04-2010 05:34 PM
Ditching the hi-low gear.......how? muddeprived General Crawlers 6 08-28-2006 01:05 AM