Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: battery placement (inside of tires)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2006, 12:25 PM   #1
chb

Default battery placement (inside of tires)

I’ve seen one or two rigs on this site which have their batteries mounted on the inside of the wheels. I thought this was a great idea so I ended up mounting mine on to the OD of the front wheels so when you put the tires on the batteries are fully enclosed. Even the brushes are fully enclosed in the steering knuckles. I was just wondering if their are any write ups on this to see how others did theirs. I searched but couldn’t find anything.
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-2006, 12:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Here you go. This threads as all of them.
Under Knuckle Batteries
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb
I’ve seen one or two rigs on this site which have their batteries mounted on the inside of the wheels. I thought this was a great idea so I ended up mounting mine on to the OD of the front wheels so when you put the tires on the batteries are fully enclosed. Even the brushes are fully enclosed in the steering knuckles. I was just wondering if their are any write ups on this to see how others did theirs. I searched but couldn’t find anything.
I am confused.... they are INSIDE your TIRES? How are you running the wires off your packs to your ESC? Dont your tires go around and around? Maybe I am miss reading something here. please post a pic.

matt
cincy
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink
I am confused.... they are INSIDE your TIRES? How are you running the wires off your packs to your ESC? Dont your tires go around and around? Maybe I am miss reading something here. please post a pic.

matt
cincy
man click on the link I posted.....
Old 12-01-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I am confused.... they are INSIDE your TIRES? How are you running the wires off your packs to your ESC?
It's that new wireless power I have been reading about.

I think it is nuclear.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:31 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo
It's that new wireless power I have been reading about.

I think it is nuclear.
Yea, it's Dirks latest revolutionary design. No pics yet till the patent gets approved.
slowrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 01:35 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowrockr
Yea, it's Dirks latest revolutionary design. No pics yet till the patent gets approved.
The government won't allow it.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn
The government won't allow it.
Dirk or the Design?
Old 12-01-2006, 01:53 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
man click on the link I posted.....
I did... and I have seen all that before. But I am reading this right; this guy has mounted batteries inside his tires- and he expects that to work? That is all I am asking- not how to do the hub mounts.

matt
cincy
Old 12-01-2006, 01:59 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did... and I have seen all that before. But I am reading this right; this guy has mounted batteries inside his tires- and he expects that to work? That is all I am asking- not how to do the hub mounts.

matt
cincy
Your first post said nothing about mounting batteries inside the tires. You said inside the wheels. And that just happens to be where the knuckles are. So next time be more clear. Oh and who is this guy that mounted his batteries in his tires?

Last edited by run2jeepn; 12-01-2006 at 02:02 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:01 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

No one talks about mounting them to the RIMS

You mount them to the KNUCKLES, which DONT spin.
85mudblazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:22 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
I am confused.... they are INSIDE your TIRES?
I know this is a stupid thread but I did say (even used caps) INSIDE the TIRES, not wheels, TIRES... which is OUTSIDE the wheels. Did you actually read the original post? I had to read it a few times as well to make sure I was not overlooking something. he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb
I ended up mounting mine on to the OD of the front wheels so when you put the tires on the batteries are fully enclosed
OD, meaning Outside Diameter, on the outside of the rim, INSIDE the TIRES. I mean, look at the thread title " battery placement (inside of tires) "

please explain.

matt
cincy
Old 12-01-2006, 02:33 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Then whats this mean?
Quote:
Even the brushes are fully enclosed in the steering knuckles

I don't now I have been at work for 17hrs and there is to much Stupid crap in that first post. Now how would you mount the batteries in the tires and the brushes in the knuckles. And when did batteries start having brushes? He said he tried it. Lets see some pic's.

Last edited by run2jeepn; 12-01-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:35 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don't now I have been at work for 17hrs and there is to much Stupid crap in that first post. Now how would you mount the batteries in the tires and the brushed in the knuckle. And when did batteries start having brushes?
*sigh* exactly.

cheers

matt
cincy
Old 12-01-2006, 02:59 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have a spare set of battery brushes if anyone needs a set.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:09 PM   #16
RCC Addict

actually out of all this I have thought it would be cool for a scale truck to mount the packs in the spare tire on the back of the rig. Maybe even some other electronics... hmm. very waterproof, that is for sure.

and I think I will take those battery brushes off your hands- will you consider a trade for nice set of shock bearings i got here?

matt
cincy
Old 12-01-2006, 07:07 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

maybe where CHB is today is april 1st and not december 1st.
anyway, if you WERE going to mount batteries INSIDE the wheels, you would need BRUSHES to transfer the power from the batteries moving around the wheel to the hub and on up the line. just like how brushes transfer power from the wires going to your motor can to the armature spinning around in the can. i have honestly been toying with just such an idea, i just don't know how long the brushes would go before they needed to be cleaned. there's plenty of room in a Clod knuckle to do it. the project is definitely doable, but if the brushes on the knuckles get carboned up in an hour, it wouldn't be worth it.

andy b.
andy b. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 07:22 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I have seen it done before, but cant remember where. teh guy moounted a ring of batteries glued to the outside of the rim. the installed 2 wires + and - through 2 holes in the rim to the inside, that end of the wires where solderd to 2 rings that where glued on the inside of the rims. now on the axle knuckle where 2 tabs of spring steel that alligned with the 2 rings and rubbed as the wheel rotated making the contact for power to flow. the tabs where attached to 2 wires and a deans plug that ran to the esc. its actually faiirly simple setup
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 09:03 PM   #19
RCC Addict

there is no benefit to this setup over knuckle mounts... you are adding rotational mass when it does not have to be added. I am not sure about a crawler- but on a 1:1 vehicle, 1lb of rotational weight added is equal to 10lbs of static weight. It would be something to see, but you always have to ask yourself one question "just because I can, do I really want to?"

Heres to letting tis thread die a good death.

matt
cincy
Old 12-01-2006, 09:33 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
there is no benefit to this setup over knuckle mounts... you are adding rotational mass when it does not have to be added. I am not sure about a crawler- but on a 1:1 vehicle, 1lb of rotational weight added is equal to 10lbs of static weight. It would be something to see, but you always have to ask yourself one question "just because I can, do I really want to?"

Heres to letting tis thread die a good death.

matt
cincy
Do you actually have a crawler?

so you dont ad any weight to the inside of your tires?..

most of us add at least 5 to 7 oz of weight to each...I use 7 oz os stick on weights stuck to the outside of each rim on the front. on my 2.2 makes a big difference in climbing that equates about the same weight that 4 2/3a cells would be.

many 1:1 comp rigs add 5 gallons of water to the inside
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote