Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Diggable ESCs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2006, 11:22 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Diggable ESCs

Hey, I've a feeling that santa "might" be generous enough to send a 4 channel radio my way, so I'm thinking about a dig setup for my clod. I already have a MOPED V16r in there, but I also have an RCLine Volcano that I could use for a while, until I can afford another MOPED. The question is, will the two ESCs work well together, or does it need to be two identical ESCs to prevent different axle speeds? I'm going to be running a reciever pack, so BEC is not an issue, but will the Volcano handle a 55t motor?
Thanks for any help that can be offered.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #2
RCC Addict

That's a good question. My guess is you should probably use identical units. You may find a couple that work well together, but different ESCs may have different throttle curves and whatnot.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

People run different pinion gears in the front and rear axle on the same speed control so I dont see how having two different ESCs will hurt anything.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 PM   #4
RCC Addict

True, it might not hurt anything. But maybe he wants both axles to be the same speed. And I doubt it would behave as predictably as running different pinions - If the throttle cureves differ greatly, it could make for a very unpredictable rig.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
True, it might not hurt anything. But maybe he wants both axles to be the same speed. And I doubt it would behave as predictably as running different pinions - If the throttle cureves differ greatly, it could make for a very unpredictable rig.
If you are running digs a different throttle curve is not going to be hard to deal with. Even with identical speed controls you are depending on the driver to mix front and rear throttle and that is what screws people.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #6

It might be weird for reverse if they have different delays. dont you think? I would try it until you have enough for another moped. I dont think it could hurt anything
gt247life04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 02:36 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

It won't hurt anything, I burned up an esc last year before a comp and threw a cheapy in the front with no problems.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slugzracing
Even with identical speed controls you are depending on the driver to mix front and rear throttle and that is what screws people.
Maybe two years ago. Even then inner circle guys were hotwiring the inside of the radio to do digs. But extarnal mixing and progamable mixing is now the norm.

4link4eva You can find speed controls that blend well together that are not identical. I ran an xrs on the front dig and a super rooster on the rear of my nationals truck, I(worked well!).

Chad-
grover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Thanks everyone for your help, we'll see how it goes, but I think I might have enough dosh for a MOPED now.
4link4eva is offline   Reply With Quote