Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Knuckle batteries for maxx wheels...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2006, 07:56 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Knuckle batteries for maxx wheels...

What was previosly reserved for 40 series rims is now available to those of us not compensating with bigger wheels and tires. I love the MAXX Mashers and just how low they allow the rig to sit but I was always fighting with battery placement on my stick and 8 cells is really hard to keep down low. I had been temped several times to go back to 40 series tires so I could move the battery to the steering knuckle but I did not feel like dropping the money to do so.
I had to trim a set of knuuckles for one of my scale rigs and then I realized that they have a lot of plastic they do not need. Just a couple of minutes with the dremmel and things were looking good.
You can put two standard cells on each steering knuckle without compromising strength as they go on the back side.
Trim from your stock steering stops straight out and drill two holes for a zip tie
Then take your two cells (presoldered makes life easy) and stick a small wedge between them on the side you connected them; I used a little bit of plastic left over from the knuckle. This gives the two cell battery a wedge shape that helps keep it away from the axle. Wrap the cells in electrical tape to keep them from sliding around and them zip tie them down. Repeat for each knuckle and then wire them all up.

And since pics speak more than words...

You can see in this next pic were I trimmed some of the C-hub for clearance at full lock.

This may not work for all maxx size wheels but the stock traxxas wheel when used with hydco adapters is perfect for this setup and I am very pleased with it.
slugzracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links