Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: i gotts theez mowterz....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2005, 02:02 AM   #1

Cool i gotts theez mowterz....

yeah! like i say, these motors i got, theyre huge and and slow and pack lotsa torque... theyre actually permaneny magnet servo motors. they had tach generators but i removed those... anyone know if im safe to run these with a tekin titan? i did some testing on them. wired parallel, at 9.6v (8 cells) no load they draw .75 A. tried to stall them with my fingers and i can get them to draw about 15 A. anyhow, what factors do i need to consider, like, the titan supposedly handles what, 300 A. max? if say, i wanted to run 12 volts... would i be safe? or am i way off and need to lay off the crack? lol

killercrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2005, 04:15 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

wholy cow those are huge..what rig would you be thinkin of putin them on..would you be running both or jsut one? if you could find out there max draw then you should be able to figure out your exact voltage you can run b4 u blow it...can i take the d5 off you tho
cborrowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 06:21 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

run one motor for 1 minute on the titan on 8 cells and see if gets warm. then try 12 volts. those babies are huge!!

use one, and clamp the output shaft with a vice grip, and then measure the stall current. that will give you a good idea of how many watts the motor will suck.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:02 PM   #4

well, these are going in my BIG crawler. it wont actually be big, but the motors will be. i'll probably run krocks. id like it to be shaft driven, so i need to figure out axles. i found a site... stock drive products, its called... they have different gearboxes and stuff like that... anyhow i found what i might need, theyre like a little gearbox with 1 input shaft and 2 outputs. mounting flanges on all 3 sides. all id need to do is fab up some tubes and steering gear. would be cool. oh yeah, that site has everything! gears, screws, chain, etc... they got it all. i'll find a link.

oh btw, the d5's already gone, sorry!
Old 01-31-2005, 05:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Default link

try to get the address for that website, i am interested in what they have. those motors are huge!!! make sure you do a write up on them...
wally187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

damn dats a big motor

if you decide to use them make sure you make a video ;)
GReddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

those look like brushless with a built in controller
cborrowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:08 PM   #8
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

I dont think the performance of those motors (which is still unknown) will be worth the extra weight and size of those motors.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #9

well, i beg to differ on that one... the weight and size i mean. well, they got more torque than i'll ever have use for man! sure theyre heavy... so? i want them to be heavy... more traction right?
um, nope, they arent brushless, those on the end are called tachometer generators... its just a little generator, with brushes. theyre used to send a signal to the controller, so the controller knows how fast the motors spinning... but i got rid of those, dont need em! and the motors themselves are brushed.
heres a link to that site i was talkin about

http://www.sdp-si.com/

cool site! they'll even send you catalogues for free!!! which i couldnt resist... im gettin them all!
Old 02-02-2005, 07:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercrow
well, i beg to differ on that one... the weight and size i mean. well, they got more torque than i'll ever have use for man! sure theyre heavy... so? i want them to be heavy... more traction right?
Beg to differ all you want. What truck are you installing it in? Not a clod, there is no way you could fit it in between the axels. In a TXT, you adding tht much weight up high where the motor mounts in a TXT would greatly raise your CG.

I bet you run cement in your wheels too for added weight.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:07 PM   #11
Ace
Rock Crawler

Have you checked the prices on those stock drive gearboxes???

Hope yours are cheaper than the ones I remember!
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:25 PM   #12

hey badger, you got an inferiority complex or what? did you even read the whole thread? it aint going into anything youve ever seen, alright? just cuz i might use krocks means its gotta be a clod or a txt? are people really this dense where you come from????? i need to know!

and ace, no i havent checked the prices... im guessing theyre outageously expensive? if thats the case i'll use something else i guess... shitty deal man. i guess i'll use something else... maybe twin force axles? i donno...
oh and by the way, the transmission for this thing consists of 2 pinion gears (one for each motor) and one big spur gear, the one i have is 2.5". so... the 2 motors will sit right on the bottom of the chassis, maybe hang down a little lower. the spur gear is the tranny pretty much. one shaft will go between the 2 motors... i thought about using a t-case but that would mean the motors would need to be up high... yeah... well, its slowly coming together.
Old 02-03-2005, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
hey badger, you got an inferiority complex or what? did you even read the whole thread? it aint going into anything youve ever seen, alright? just cuz i might use krocks means its gotta be a clod or a txt? are people really this dense where you come from????? i need to know!
Here we go again... another dumb ass 14 year old with dreams of building a crawler.

And you are implying that I am dense? Re-read your post boy.

Quote:
well, these are going in my BIG crawler. it wont actually be big, but the motors will be.
You see how stupid you sound? I bet you don't even have a chassis yet! Did you steal those motors from your dad's garage?

Last edited by badger; 02-03-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:51 PM   #14

14? sorry. i dont think so. those motors? i got them from work, the scrap yard, where i get whatever i damn well want for nothing. why not stop with the bickering man! holy shit! i come here to this site to have a good time, get some info and feedback. ok, you dont think they'll work. good for you. i think they will. opinions are like assholes, buddy... you know? un****enbelievable man! you'll see when its done. til then keep your comments to yourself. you didnt write the book on crawling so dont act like it.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
14? sorry. i dont think so. those motors? i got them from work, the scrap yard, where i get whatever i damn well want for nothing. why not stop with the bickering man! holy shit! i come here to this site to have a good time, get some info and feedback. ok, you dont think they'll work. good for you. i think they will. opinions are like assholes, buddy... you know? un****enbelievable man! you'll see when its done. til then keep your comments to yourself. you didnt write the book on crawling so dont act like it.
When did I act like I wrote the book? I simply stated that I do not see how the performance of those motors will be worth the increased weight from the size of the motors, and you took it as a personal attack on you.

Quote:
i come here to this site to have a good time, get some info and feedback.
WTF do you think I was doing? I was giving you feedback. But apparently you are too sensitive to receive constructive criticism, and is that is the case this is not the site for you because you will be crying yourself to sleep everynight.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:38 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Somebody better call the
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 01:43 PM   #17

Thanks SR5Dave! That was a close one... I almost drowned in his tears!
Old 02-03-2005, 01:49 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

hye guyz, I wunt to rn this moter

Itsa 5hpwr moter, to put ti to scales teh shaft is 1 1/8" It ses it will run 220V, do u think i could do 440V w.a big extenshun cord 4 my crawler?
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote