Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 2 esc's or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2006, 05:42 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default 2 esc's or not?

Ok I am really getting into this rockcrawling and want more from my clod setup as far as performance. I have a tekin rebel2 with 55t lathe motors turning a 8th pinions. This works great with my tq3 with rear steer and front 1/4 scale servo with rear hs645mg. I run a 3300 pack for the motors and a rx pack.
But lately I am getting really irked by the clod stall. I was thinking of just adding a second tekin rebel2 for the rear motor. And still continue to use the rest of my electronics. Maybe making a custom connector to hook both esc's to one battery and using a y-splitter to the receiver for both on one channel.
Please tell me why I should or should not do this? Should I wait to get a 4ch radio? Would having that much power to the rear cause the truck just to flip over? Should I use a bigger battery pack? Will I have shorter run time with 2 esc's?
flexmonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Nothing will change performance wise until you get a 4 channel radio to control front and rear axles seperately. Runtime shouldnt change, power wont change, stall wont change.

Get the esc now, and then the 4 channel when you can. Or both at the same time, your call.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I totally agree. It wont change the preformance at all, I actually I think the stall would be worse two esc's on the same channel!! Just get a 4 channel and do it right. 2 Esc has not really changed my run times so dont worry about that, and your 3300 pack will work just fine.

Last edited by jevyguy; 12-05-2006 at 07:38 AM.
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2006, 08:39 AM   #4
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by flexmonger
But lately I am getting really irked by the clod stall. I was thinking of just adding a second tekin rebel2 for the rear motor. And still continue to use the rest of my electronics. Maybe making a custom connector to hook both esc's to one battery and using a y-splitter to the receiver for both on one channel.
The only Y you need is for the battery to plug in to each ESC.

Quote:
Please tell me why I should or should not do this? Should I wait to get a 4ch radio? Would having that much power to the rear cause the truck just to flip over? Should I use a bigger battery pack? Will I have shorter run time with 2 esc's?
Absolutely wait to get a 4+ channel radio. I've found the DX6 to be the best TX on the market for what we need.

Having "that much power" is a relative term. You'll still have the same motors, you'll just have a means to control each of them as you see fit. The truck flipping over shouldn't be a concern. With the throttle of each axle on separate channels you can drive each of them as little or as much as you want.

Power is nothing without control.

A couple of examples...pay attention to how the green/blue Rock Pleazer behaves in both of the following videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPrJWc4J7i0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0Msla8-W-4

Regarding run time:

After each of the courses at the Nationals I repeaked and found that my dual brushless setup pulled about 600-800mAh per 5 minute course.

You will see a bit of decreased run time 'cause you're now powering two ESCs. Common sense says that two ESCs at idle will pull more current than one ESC at idle...it's something else that needs power. Will it be a dramatic decrease in run time? Not really.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 12-05-2006 at 08:43 AM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Guys , thank you for help and comments. I am going to just hold out and get a 4 channel radio and then get the extra ESC. Seems like Tower hobbies is out of stock of the Futuba radio and none of our vendors offers it on their websites. No x-mas present for me tell next year.:-(
Old 12-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I got a new VG6000 6 Channel radio off the Bay for $65....
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:01 AM   #7
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Guys , thank you for help and comments. I am going to just hold out and get a 4 channel radio and then get the extra ESC. Seems like Tower hobbies is out of stock of the Futuba radio and none of our vendors offers it on their websites. No x-mas present for me tell next year.:-(

Which Futaba?

If it's a Skysport it doesn't have any of the cool programming features, EPAs, etc. Trim setting can get knocked around since the trim sliders slide. With transmitters such as the VG6000 and DX6 trim is handled by pressing the trim switch in one direction or the other. It's just a momentary push button setup. If you accidentally hit one of these buttons it'll make just a small change.

For the money I'd hold off for a computerized TX. If I remember right the VG is $40 more than the Skysports and has a ton of features you won't find on the Skysport...features that you'll want to have if you plan to run two ESCs.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:25 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Actually I was thinking of the futaba 4vwd, its a land use transmitter. I could get a airplane radio, but would hear all the reverb if I compete. I might nock a plane out of the sky and hit someone in the head. You know they fly r/c gas planes all over the city.