Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: have you ever fixed your own esc and which one is better,mamba max or superduty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2006, 01:56 PM   #1

Default have you ever fixed your own esc and which one is better,mamba max or superduty

Well I fried my Novak SR last night. I think I got a little water in it or something. It was running fine about 20 min after I ran it through snow and then the led went dim and about 10 sec later I saw the magic smoke rise and leave the little SR's lifeless corpse on the chassis of my crawler. Anyway I pulled it apart and I cant see anything fried. What I found was the plastic wrap around the cap got hot enough to melt off and it looks like there is some oil around it but I don’t see anything else. Do you think that I just popped the cap? I was able to read just enough to find out that its a 150 mf. I think I could find an electrolytic 150mf cap but soldering it back in the board will be the hard part. Has anybody every tried to fix there own esc. If you have than your input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running two axiom 55, 9t pinions and two 645's on six cells. I would like to eventually run 7 or 8 cells but for now its just on 6. Now with all this in mind, I'm going to be buying another esc because more than likely this one will never climb another rock again but which one should I get. Mamba Max or a Novak SuperDuty. I'm only running two 645 servo's so either one's bec should work, but I want the best! One day I will get better servos but without an esc I cant even use the servos I have so the esc is coming first. Yeah I know everybody says get the moped, get the tekin r2, mtroniks blah blah blah. Its either a MM or a SD. Which one? I really like the drag brakes on the MM so I think thats the way I'm leaning, plus if I ever built a shafty i could run brushless
ravencrawler154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2006, 02:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencrawler154
Well I fried my Novak SR last night. I think I got a little water in it or something. It was running fine about 20 min after I ran it through snow and then the led went dim and about 10 sec later I saw the magic smoke rise and leave the little SR's lifeless corpse on the chassis of my crawler. Anyway I pulled it apart and I cant see anything fried. What I found was the plastic wrap around the cap got hot enough to melt off and it looks like there is some oil around it but I don’t see anything else. Do you think that I just popped the cap? I was able to read just enough to find out that its a 150 mf. I think I could find an electrolytic 150mf cap but soldering it back in the board will be the hard part. Has anybody every tried to fix there own esc. If you have than your input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running two axiom 55, 9t pinions and two 645's on six cells. I would like to eventually run 7 or 8 cells but for now its just on 6. Now with all this in mind, I'm going to be buying another esc because more than likely this one will never climb another rock again but which one should I get. Mamba Max or a Novak SuperDuty. I'm only running two 645 servo's so either one's bec should work, but I want the best! One day I will get better servos but without an esc I cant even use the servos I have so the esc is coming first. Yeah I know everybody says get the moped, get the tekin r2, mtroniks blah blah blah. Its either a MM or a SD. Which one? I really like the drag brakes on the MM so I think thats the way I'm leaning, plus if I ever built a shafty i could run brushless

mm
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

mamba max. BEC isnt all too impressive, but there isnt a BEC out there that has impressed me enough to consider it a selling point.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #4
MODERATOR™

I'd choose the Novak remanufactured Super Rooster before the Super Poopy.

But I'd do the Mamba Max before that, if I was spending the money.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:22 PM   #5

ok it looks like mamba max it is. thanks for the input! I just have one more question. since I'm buying the max anyway, I'm going to get a brushless motor with it also, Yea I have a clod but I have a sand rail in the works and maybe a shafty crawler but mainly thinking about the rail. My question is wich motor should I get with the deal. I've never really messed with brushless. I found this on bay and it seems to be the best deal so far. Sound like a resonable price? Right motor?http://cgi.ebay.com/Castle-Creations...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 12-06-2006, 03:29 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravencrawler154
ok it looks like mamba max it is. thanks for the input! I just have one more question. since I'm buying the max anyway, I'm going to get a brushless motor with it also, Yea I have a clod but I have a sand rail in the works and maybe a shafty crawler but mainly thinking about the rail. My question is wich motor should I get with the deal. I've never really messed with brushless. I found this on bay and it seems to be the best deal so far. Sound like a resonable price? Right motor?http://cgi.ebay.com/Castle-Creations...QQcmdZViewItem

the motor you need is a outrunner style and under 1200KV that one is an inrunner 7700KV desiigned for speed only

PM JRH from this thread he has a new brusnhless motor designed for our kind of use
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 03:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwerks
the motor you need is a outrunner style and under 1200KV that one is an inrunner 7700KV desiigned for speed only

PM JRH from this thread he has a new brusnhless motor designed for our kind of use
well like I said, I'll have the sand rail way before I ever build a shaft drive crawler so I can always pick up a high torque motor later down the road, but as far the rail goes, would that 7700kV motor work good? Since its for speed I think it would work awesome in the sand. It should make some pretty good rooster tails! I know I have crawler but I'm really a speed demon at heart.

Last edited by ravencrawler154; 12-06-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:03 PM   #8

I was just checking at Castles website and soon to come is this
http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...nster_max.html

I wonder if I should just get a cheapy until this comes out. Because I know as soon as I buy the MM they will come out with the MMM and it'll be ten times better than the MM and then I'll be like, "OH MY that MMM is really nice, I really need that!" And then I will have like $400 dollars tied up in the MM and the MMM because I just have to get the motors with them because I feel like I'm missing something if I dont! So should I get the MM or just wait it out and get the MMM or should I just say **** it and spend the 400 I dont really have and get both the MM and the MMM? All this MMMMMMMMMMMMM **** is really getting to me! To many M's
Old 12-06-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I cant believe that guy is selling the MM combo so cheap. It does no good to make no profit from a retail sale

If you are making a sand rail, I would suggest the 4k or the 5k motor. You will need a lower amp draw to keep the buggy from overheating in the sand. The 7700 would only be useable on 6-8 cells, and even then it wouldnt be controllable or usable for a long time offroad because of the heat.

You can wait for the monster max, but it will be a few months probably and it wont be near as cheap as the mamba max. Big power comes with big price. I have talked with a few employees about it, and it is one Hoss of a controller with a LOT of FETs.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:55 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Not sure how to tell if it's just the cap that's bad, but it can probably be swapped out if you want to try it. I've replaced wires in the board on my ESC's in the past with no problems. You need to have a fine tip iron, and enough heat to make the joint pretty quick. You don't want to sit there holding the iron on the board very long. You will need either a solder removal tool or braid in order to remove the old piece.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:07 PM   #11

Well I pulled the cap out but it looke fine. I was going to test it anyway but I couldnt find my meter so I just stuck it back in and pluged it in and it works! I didnt do anything to it and I had witnesses that heard the pop and saw the cloud of smoke so I know I'm not crazy. But it works. I drove the thing around for hours today. Inside climbing the chairs and my great dane and then out side in the snow again and not a problem one. It acts just like it did before I heard the pop! I already order a MM but atleast I will have any extra now.

Now I have another question. I know the SR is only rated for 12V but has anybody succesfully run 14.4 ? I only have the cheapy packs and I want more power now! I have plenty of wire and deans I just need to know if it will do 14V. I think I could cut two cells of another pack and wire it in? But then I would only be down to 2 packs and if I screw up, 1

Last edited by ravencrawler154; 12-07-2006 at 06:10 PM.