Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: lathe motor maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2006, 01:45 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default lathe motor maintenance

how do you take care of a lathe motor besides using the actual lathe?
i bought some comm drops, but being a motor newb, i have no clue how to use them.
can someone help me out?
GraTou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
K_B
I wanna be Dave

I've never used comm drops, but if you don't know, comm is short for commutator. The commutator is the copper(?) part inside the endbell that makes contact with the brushes. So remove one of the brush springs, pull the brush out and put a few drops down inside the brush hood onto the comm.

I know that comm drops can make a difference when you're racing, I'm not sure about a slow speed application like crawling.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

comm drops aren't part of maintenance.
They are for "extra" performance.

I wouldn't use them. They glaze the comm and your brushes. The carbon will build up on the brushes even faster by using drops.

When you perform maint. on the motor, take out the brushes, clean them with a good comm stick or brush... clean the comm with the brush or stick as well. Replace brushes is worn and burnt. Spray out the entire can with motor cleaner until the fluid comes out clear. Put it all back together and oil your bearings.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You can also cut the comm when it gets worn. Keep in mind that every time you cut the comm, you reduce the diameter, which will net you higher RPMs.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #5
Sinking with the ship

Dirk is right on with this one, I advoid comm drops, I have found that they make the brushes wear alot faster and the comm too(which is bad), although I guess its a similiar theory as to using nitrous in an engine, more power but parts wear out faster..

I personally have found that with the integy lathe motors that the comm isnt very true and they need to be turned... I come from a race back ground so I machine every motor I buy right out of the package weather its a 20$ motor or a 100$

Basically you can do like already said, clean the comm and brushes with MOTOR CLEANER and a comm stick(do not use brake clean!), just remember to re -oil the bearings. technically if the brushes are BADLY worn, installing a new set wont do you any good, chances are the comm is way out of true and itll just chew up the new brushes..

Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser
Dirk is right on with this one, I advoid comm drops, I have found that they make the brushes wear alot faster and the comm too(which is bad), although I guess its a similiar theory as to using nitrous in an engine, more power but parts wear out faster..

I personally have found that with the integy lathe motors that the comm isnt very true and they need to be turned... I come from a race back ground so I machine every motor I buy right out of the package weather its a 20$ motor or a 100$

Basically you can do like already said, clean the comm and brushes with MOTOR CLEANER and a comm stick(do not use brake clean!), just remember to re -oil the bearings. technically if the brushes are BADLY worn, installing a new set wont do you any good, chances are the comm is way out of true and itll just chew up the new brushes..

Mike
I believe the Axiom motors come with a trued comm. they are Integy lathe motors that have been treated nicely.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
Sinking with the ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
I believe the Axiom motors come with a trued comm. they are Integy lathe motors that have been treated nicely.
  • Zapped Magnets
  • Balanced Armature
  • Brush Hoods aligned by Brush wear
  • Armature Shafts polished
  • Armature shimmed in magnetic field
  • Commutator Diamond trued
  • Brushes and Springs installed
  • Motor Fully Broken in and ready to run
  • Dyno Sheet Included
Now if thats done to them like they say, that would be a killer motor Have you used any of thier motors dirk? if you have, have you noticed a difference in performance from a integy?

-Mike
1BadJeepBruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:03 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BadJeepBruiser
  • Zapped Magnets
  • Balanced Armature
  • Brush Hoods aligned by Brush wear
  • Armature Shafts polished
  • Armature shimmed in magnetic field
  • Commutator Diamond trued
  • Brushes and Springs installed
  • Motor Fully Broken in and ready to run
  • Dyno Sheet Included
Now if thats done to them like they say, that would be a killer motor Have you used any of thier motors dirk? if you have, have you noticed a difference in performance from a integy?

-Mike
I have 45 turn axioms in my clod and like them a lot. They have a good combination of the right rpm and still remain extremely torquey. I never ran an integy 45 but have ran many 55turns and can say that the Axioms seem to have more quality. Better run times, better throttle response.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I gotta agree, i've owned integy's 55t and 65 t and bought 75t axioms after and could see the difference on the smoothness in throttle response, start up was also greatly improved, overall better motors. These were used on my clods.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

what about using motor cleaners?? after every run....or after every muddy day or something

like this

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFWJ4&P=ML

thanks
andres-tavares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #11
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Use Motor cleaners after every run that is at least dusty. That will get you longer motor life and better performance.

Once again DO NOT use brake cleaner or any old solvent to clean a motor. It can dissolve or soften the winding insulation.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Thanks guys.
GraTou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:02 PM   #13
MWRCA'er

Check the bearings
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 07:39 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Make sure you oil the bearings every time you clean the motor.

Like these guys stated, Integy motors pretty much are the most out of round comm's I've ever seen out of the package. True them up, and add Trinity purple brush springs (the extra stiff ones), and you will basically get the same thing as an Axiom motor. If you don't have the ability to do this yourself, go with the Axiom up front.
todd1803 is offline   Reply With Quote