Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Steering & servo setup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Steering & servo setup

Looking for max steering angle and max steering torque (Aren't we all?)

Once you have the steering arm length vs servo horn length optimized, the max angles of the tires should correspond to the extreme travel of the horn to get all the leverage available. The servo horn swings about plus/minus 45 degrees.

Assuming a Hitec digital (7980TH) what if I used the programmer to change the servo swing to a higher angle, like plus/minus 60 degrees? Then I could shorten the horn to get the same wheel travel with higher leverage. Anyone believe that?

Slightly related question. Some seem to appreciate the effect of very high servo speed. Tell me why I care on a comp crawler.
Hardline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2015, 08:55 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Steering & servo setup

Your servo throw vs. leverage sounds legit. I see 2 benefits to a faster servo. If you're on a hill with a low traction surface like loose dirt for instance, it helps to be able to "dance" your rig back and forth across the section to gain traction. The faster you can steer, the easier it is to gain progress or corrective steer when you slip. Another benefit is when you have to bounce over an obstacle. Basically the same deal. You may have to do some corrective steering to avoid contact with a gate or to keep from rolling over.
13in. is offline   Reply With Quote

Steering & servo setup - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with weird DX3 & Steering Servo Issue MtnBkr Electronics 6 03-21-2010 08:00 PM