Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Max concerns?!?!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2006, 10:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Mamba Max concerns?!?!

Well I finally got home from my tour (been gone since April pretty much), and had somewhat of an early Xmas opening all the packages from various suppliers. But enough of the rambling and now get to the point........
I am a newbie of sorts, and so this may sound odd and niave. I notice that the area of the PCB that is exposed where the battery, reciever, etc. connections are soldered to on the Mamba Max ESC, leaves especially the area on the back side of the PCB, exposed. I am concerned that if some thing/debris got wedged in that area it could cause an electrical short, especially if it is going to be mounted, to say an aluminum plate. Any suggestions as to what type of insulating material one might use that would also NOT hold moisture? Or has anyone come up with a solution? Or am I just being paranoid? Thanks, Kerry
Attached Images

Last edited by kerrywittig; 12-13-2006 at 10:21 PM.
kerrywittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #2
RCCRAWLER TEAM DRIVER

I have not worried about it but I also do not drive my super in mud/water if I can help it. If you plan on doing that type of stuff you can bag it I use rubber gloves and run the wires out through the fingers.
kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I'm in the same boat as you (no pun intended).I'm gonna stay as far away from water/mud as possible.

But part of my plan is to build small dimensional compartments for each electronic component ie. ESC/reciever/battery/regulators and really make the wiring and mounting of the components as neat, organized and sanitary as humanely possible. Very anal retentive, but.........

Hey I have another question............When reading the owners/installation manual with the Mamba Max ESC it was noted,

" If you choose to direct solder or to shorten the motor wires, you may do so on the Castle Creations CM36 motors ONLY. DO NOT CUT any part of the wire length from any other moto, regardless of brand or type. If they are clipped shorter, the motor will not run properly, or may not run at all."

I wonder if this would be true concerning the Hyperion HP-Z3025-08? I really want to "clean up" the component area in the chassis by having ALL wire runs to be as short, well routed and neat as possible. Not a bunch of wadded up, tie wrapped wiring strewn all over the place.

Any one have any thoughts or insights concerning "wire shortening"?Maybe Mr. Holmes could answer that question......

Kerry
Old 12-14-2006, 02:43 AM   #4
RcBros Hobbies

Just to let you know. The mamba will hold water fine. They put a protective coating on them just like the 1:18th systems. I've ran the 1:18th system in a buckey of water and it works great!

I'll be taking the mamba maxx in the snow tomorrow so I'll be sure to let you know exactly how well it does.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:50 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

As long as you make an attempt to keep it dry, you'll be fine. Even if you don't, you'll probably be okay. Castle dips their PCB's in epoxy or similar, so the speedos do quite well with water.

I haven't tried shortening the wires on mine, but I'd heed the manufacturer's warning. On the other hand, the wires are easily accessible. Try it and see what happens, you can always put them back.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:43 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Shortening motor wires can lead to faulty startups and problems with the motor. The Hyperion motors have silicon wires on the outside, so you could shorten them evenly and be ok.

The reason they tell you to leave them is that most motors have the insulated magnet wire coming out. If you clip them and do not prep the wires properly an electrical connection will not be possible.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
Shortening motor wires can lead to faulty startups and problems with the motor. The Hyperion motors have silicon wires on the outside, so you could shorten them evenly and be ok.

The reason they tell you to leave them is that most motors have the insulated magnet wire coming out. If you clip them and do not prep the wires properly an electrical connection will not be possible.
So survey says.........Cut the wires back say 2-3 inches as long as ALL three are the same length.......Correct?
Old 12-14-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Yeah, as long as you are talking about the hyperion motor I sold you. Your milage will vary on other brands.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote