Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hyperion z3013-14 testing- live performance numbers!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2006, 09:11 PM   #1
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Default Hyperion z3013-14 testing- live performance numbers!

I received a data logger and decided to do some testing on the motor/ esc/ battery. The results I got were astounding!

The rig--
The beaver, 14" wb SW2 with narrowed twin force axles. Gearing 13/64 on the tranny and maxx mashers for the rubber.

The electrics--
mamba 25 esc
Hyperion z3013-14 motor
7 cell GP 3700's

I chose the larger cells to see what this motor will really do. It is as much of a test on the motor as it is the batteries and ESC. I basically ran around my house with the crawler, crawling up cinder block overhangs for that crazy bite and strain on the motor. I also wagged the robot servo to see what it would draw (15 amp burst!!). I also crawled up my leg and pushed on the rig as much as I could with my foot. It was a sort of soft stalling like a lower traction situation (I was on carpet) would create.

Raw data--

Average voltage: 9.22 volts
Average amperage: 12.62 Amps
Avg power: 25 watts
total time 2 minutes 2 seconds

This really doesnt mean much. Every situation and sampling will be different. However, this can show "intensity" of the overall run and how hard the electrics were run. This was very light overall

Min voltage: 7.59 V
Max amp: 96.08A
Max wattage: 782.60

This was quite a shock to me. The highest burst effort lasted 1 second, and averaged 27.37 amps. The average wattage of the burst effort was 227.55 watts, 8.88 volts. I know this doesnt quite add up correctly, but I think the battery efficiency is factored in.

This little motor packs a punch, even through the mamba 25! Im going to do much more testing as the days roll by. I will data log the next comp I am in, compare motors brushed and brushless, and test batteries. I dont think 2/3A cells would have bursted this much, but we shall see. Look for more real world testing in the future!
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-14-2006, 09:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

How much for just a motor?
4u2nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Cool, lots of pretty numbers. All I know is that it all translates to me breaking more stuff.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:30 PM   #4

The motor is $73 with 5mm shaft and no plug installation. You can add a turned down shaft to accept 1/8th inch pinions for $10, check my website. This is actually a test of Cloaks setup. He will be using it in a 2.2.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
The motor is $73 with 5mm shaft and no plug installation. You can add a turned down shaft to accept 1/8th inch pinions for $10, check my website. This is actually a test of Cloaks setup. He will be using it in a 2.2.
With using the standard 5mm shaft, I imagine you have to swap spurs out to 32p, correct? Or do you have a source for 48p, 5mm bore pinions?
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:39 PM   #6

Some pretty charts. First one is total run, second one is me hitting a cinder block wall with some invert sections.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2006, 09:42 PM   #7

I have a good bit of 48p 5mm pinion on the way from rc4wd actually. Should be here any day now.
Old 12-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Wow, that's quite a spike!

The Mamba motors are supposed to draw about 100 amps at startup, so I'm confident the Mamba-25 won't let the smoke out if it's geared intelligently. What kind of ESC temps did you see?
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:05 PM   #9

The esc didnt get above 100f, but the 2minute run wasnt enough to test that aspect much. I have temp guages on the data logger too, so you bet I will be recording that in real time as well on the next run! Sunday is my next day off, and it will be hobby party day for me! Plenty of testing and such while I can be out in daylight.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Thats pretty cool John. Have you done a test on the motor I'm running? Just out of curiosity. I'm running 8 sub C's through it now at 63:1 final drive but probly add a cell this weekend,need a bit more wheelspeed
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 04:56 PM   #11

not yet. Im afraid to after this motor test! My shunt will only read 100 amps max, but bursts shouldnt hurt it. If it does I guess I will just get another.

As a quick reference, your motor is twice as long as this one. It should produce about twice the power.
Old 12-15-2006, 05:38 PM   #12
MODERHATER™

Quote:

Min voltage: 7.59 V
Max amp: 96.08A
Max wattage: 782.60
Holey smokes!
That explains alot of my issues i have been dealing w/!
I can tell u this, i have never been able to get my clod in a bind, it will pop out or break! W/ a lathe motor it stalled all the time.

I will be doing some temperture testing tomorrow......
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 05:45 PM   #13

So you can say you are running two one-horsepower peak motors in your clod

assuming your batteries will deliver of course. And to think these are rated for 12 cells!
Old 12-15-2006, 09:14 PM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

Well,thats very nice to know . Just going on the last few posts,a rough guess....I'm running a motor thats a little under or right at 2 hp???? IF my cells are putting out. I know thats a big stab in the dark,but it might be close.

The good thing is,the stock drivetrain ain't sweatin it.....it's just begging for more I've not stripped a plastic spur in a while. The GD600 just couldn't take it,so it got thrown in the trash a while back.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:11 PM   #15

yeah, your motor is 1hp continuous and 2hp peak. A well constructed pack (soldered bars) of gp's or ib's will put out those numbers pretty easy, especially on 8 cells.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:20 PM   #16
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
yeah, your motor is 1hp continuous and 2hp peak. A well constructed pack (soldered bars) of gp's or ib's will put out those numbers pretty easy, especially on 8 cells.
Well,then 9 cells will be better you wanna know what I'm doing in the morning?

Right now I'm running GP 3300's with Deans battery bars,but would like to try a higher mah cell just to see the difference. If you don't care,PM me a price on 9 Sub C cells. May have to get some and try it out
Old 12-16-2006, 06:24 PM   #17

Did some more data logging today. The setup was my comp clod with Revolvers and mamba max's. I didnt record any data besides amperage and voltage. The controllers dont even sweat, I guess I could have recorded the servo temp or something. Outrunners are hard to test the temp on with a probe, the can spins!

The rig--
TCS Stick chassis, clodbuster axles, moab xls.

The electrics--
dual mamba max escs
Holmes Hobbies Revolvers (disco'd for now)
2 cell 2100 lipo, Common sense RC brand
dual 5998tg servos
Attached Images