Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MRC Superbrain 898 upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MRC Superbrain 898 upgrade

I've had this charger for a while now and I'm considering getting another charger. The superbrain 989 is a early LiPo charger so it doesn't have internal balancing or a storage setting. It's been fine but it takes about an hour to charge a 3c 5000mah battery.

I've searched a bit and I can spend a lot of money on a charger but since this one works, if a bit slow, and was a pretty decent one when I bought it. Would it be a good idea to invest in another one that has internal balancing and storage mode? I'm using a common sense balance pro for balancing but I really would like a storage mode option and a bit faster charging.

Spending around $200 wouldn't be horrible and if another $50 gets me a somewhat future proof one I'd definitely consider it.

Edited for wrong model number

Last edited by Farabomb; 03-30-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Transposed model number
Farabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: MRC Superbrain 898 upgrade

Actually here is a better question, can I set the discharge to shut off at 3.8 and use that as storage?

I had the thought to have a setting for half the mah but I'm not sure if it works that way. I've already lost one of my lipo mini revo packs because I didn't pay attention to them and let them sit too long. I don't want to do that to a $75 pack.

If setting to 3.80 works, what discharge rate should I use? It maxes out at 10a.
Old 03-30-2015, 10:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

If I remember correctly the superbrain was a dc only but had option for a ac dc converter. Not gonna hack on ya with it but really I dumped mine years ago and running a set of sigma 2s now. The sigmas use a program and set up most do now...... Ac and dc..... Balance ports on side up to 6s..... Etc etc..... These styles are had for well under $100
JokersWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:37 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I know it's old but it does still charge batteries. I have no problem spending the money I just don't want to go blindly into the LHS or RPP and click on the shiny one that catches my eye.

MRC Superbrain 898 upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MRC motor upgrade Jonessy65 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 10-19-2013 10:31 PM
MRC Diff Upgrade ? rcheads Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 11-08-2009 03:41 PM
My best MRC upgrade purchase EVER FDAapproved Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 5 04-21-2009 09:51 PM
MRC upgrade questions? speedjunkie Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 02-19-2009 08:26 AM