Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Battery Question!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2006, 03:54 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Battery Question!

ok I did some searching but couldn't find the answer I was looking for! most are converting to lipo and I understand why but what is the best alturnative to lipo. I run sub c's now but would like to get as small a pack as possible so I can mount it on the rear axle of my tlt! I'm tired of having that huge pack on my upper front links. So what size cells are you guys running that aren't using lipo?
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2006, 07:45 AM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

2/3a's like Ib1200s and up.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I use 7 Duracell, I think, 2600mah AA's. They work very nice and can be charged with a regular hobby charger.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

6AA's or the mini packs for the mini-t.
raul duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:39 AM   #5
MWRCA'er

Elite 1500 2/3a cells in a 6 cell pack from cheapbatterypacks.com
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:25 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex
...I run sub c's now but would like to get as small a pack as possible so I can mount it on the rear axle of my tlt! I'm tired of having that huge pack on my upper front links...
Is this a competition rig? If so, you may want to re-think mounting your pack on the rear axle.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 02:49 PM   #7

I have to Throw Ballsitic batteries out their. They sell some really nice packs. Google them. I am surprised this thread has been open this long without anyone else saying it first.
mavrick813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 03:44 PM   #8
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick813
I am surprised this thread has been open this long without anyone else saying it first.
Because it's not about who makes the packs, but the size of the cell.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:01 PM   #9

Ahh, Good catch EEpee. I didn't read it the way you did. i don't wire my own cells so i wouldn't know. =( Newb moment.
mavrick813 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 05:22 PM   #10
MODERATOR™

Yeah, it was his last sentence. His fault! Who wants to read all those dang words!
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

how many 2/3a's would you use in a 2.2 comp revolver setup?
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:57 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee
Yeah, it was his last sentence. His fault! Who wants to read all those dang words!

yeah well I tend to ramble and be long winded as well my bad!
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:14 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin9k
how many 2/3a's would you use in a 2.2 comp revolver setup?
6-8 depending on how you have it geared.
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:26 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

A 4/5 A 6-8 cell pack would work well too. The Elite or GP 2000 Mah packs will give you a little over an hour runtime depending on gearing and would save you weight and space. Just don't mount it on the rear... you won't like it.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Im running 7 cell 1650mah AA's from cheap battery packs and i like them alot so far. Enough to buy more. One of the guys i ran with, ran a 2 cell lipo pack and the runtime seemed comparable.
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Im running 7 cell 1650mah AA's from cheap battery packs and i like them alot so far. Enough to buy more. One of the guys i ran with, ran a 2 cell lipo pack and the runtime seemed comparable.
what was the runtime? i ask because im debating to buy sub c's or 2/3aa'a or a lipo pack. im just weighing the pro's and con's. thanks
revin9k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

I would say 2/3 A's or even custom AAA packs. I like Lipos because they will weigh less. I know this is about what besides Lipos I thought I would add this also for whatever reason. Lipos capacity seriously goes down hill with the temp. I have run lipos in planes and love them, however the one disadvantage to me is if you suck the voltage to low it hurts them seriously, sometimes permanetly. If you smash it, hit it hard, or puncture the casing there is a risk that it will catch on fire. I have seen a video of a guy from another forum that drained a lipo to low and put it on the charger in his Suburban. While flying his 40% plane he heard alot of yelling and looked over to see his truck on fire because of the battery. So thats a risk. I always charge mine in a battery bunker make for lipos and never in my building or my vehicle. Thats just my 2 pennys though.

Last edited by maxboostbusa; 12-19-2006 at 09:40 PM.
maxboostbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:46 PM   #18
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

That is a subject that needs addressing. I also have a lipo bunker of cinder blocks in my house. A damaged lipo is a fire waiting to happen.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:01 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by revin9k
what was the runtime? i ask because im debating to buy sub c's or 2/3aa'a or a lipo pack. im just weighing the pro's and con's. thanks

I was running for at least 20-25 minutes on one 7 cell pack with a 55t lathe motor. They seem great so far. Im definitly ordering more
jamesbernatchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrobholmes
That is a subject that needs addressing. I also have a lipo bunker of cinder blocks in my house. A damaged lipo is a fire waiting to happen.
Thats true to an extent. We have had thousands of Lipos through our shop... some that inflated, some shorted. We even were shipped a big shipment of lose 880 Mah cells and one of the trays that had 50 cells were all shorted due to bad shipping and packaging. But we have NEVER had 1 catch fire. Fires are possible under extreme conditions like over charging or charging a damaged pack. But just a damaged lipo will be fine if you don't do anything buy dispose of it properly. As long as you have a big porcelan potting bowl for flowers and that crap, you're fine. My theory on Lipo use is that if you're not a newbie or complete moron, then you're good. When you're neglectful during charging and putting it in an unsafe/flamible place while charging a bad pack or over charging it, then you're asking for trouble. Or if you just are new to the hobby and don't know any better about battery chemistries and charging safety. We have way too many people not buying Lipos because of all the over told and exadurated stories of Lipo fires.

My only suggestion on mounting a lipo on a clod(Stick) is that it's not really worth it. I like to keep as much weight down as possible and with lipos, there aren't as many configuration choices. Lipos are square and thats about it. With the Nimh/Nicad, you can configure them however you want to fit them into the best places because there isn't much mounting space on a stick chassi. But this is all of course if you're running a stick. Those of you who run a reall chassi and mount the battery in a battery tray, then you'll benefit from lipos. Sorry for the rant.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote