Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rx pack?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Rx pack?

I've done quite a bit of searching about Rx packs and have a couple of questions. If I use one, will I get quicker steering response from the servo? If so, do I need to cut one of the wires from the esc? I've seen a few posts on this question w/o a solid answer. Some say cut the red wire on the esc and some say you don't have to cut any wires. I'm running a XRS and a JR 3 channel RX. Thanks for the info.
scruff007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

A RX pack will give your servo a little more juice. Especially towards the end of a battery. I am not sure if you remember my red Clod. That had a XRS speedo with a RX pack. Worked fine on the big truck.

There shouldn't be any need to cut any wires. Just put a switch in between the RX pack and your receiver. Get yourself a charging switch harness. It will have an extra lead for charging. This is what the nitro guys use for there RX packs. You will use this switch to turn the truck on and off. Leave the switch on your esc OFF. Put some tape on it or something so it can't be turned on. Turning on both switches sometimes will fry the esc.

Good luck, send me a pm if you need any help.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for caring to answer my question BrandO. LOL. What's a charging switch harness?

Last edited by scruff007; 12-23-2006 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandO
A RX pack will give your servo a little more juice. Especially towards the end of a battery. I am not sure if you remember my red Clod. That had a XRS speedo with a RX pack. Worked fine on the big truck.

There shouldn't be any need to cut any wires. Just put a switch in between the RX pack and your receiver. Get yourself a charging switch harness. It will have an extra lead for charging. This is what the nitro guys use for there RX packs. You will use this switch to turn the truck on and off. Leave the switch on your esc OFF. Put some tape on it or something so it can't be turned on. Turning on both switches sometimes will fry the esc.

Good luck, send me a pm if you need any help.
Couldn't you just get one of these, http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDUG8&P=7 , and wire in a switch on one of the reciever pack's wires?
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

This is what came with my Tx. Will it work. If so, how do I wire it all up.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

What you have will work. You will just need to put on the proper plug for your RX pack. Unless you plan on using that plastic battery holder with 4 cells. You are better off running a 5 cell pack.

A charging switch harness like this is what I was talking about. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVJ45&P=ML It has an extra wire on the battery side of the switch. This lead is used to charge your RX pack. This way you don't have to undo your wiring everytime you want to charge. Any hobby shop should have one. Like I said, this is what the nitro guys use for there rx packs.

I have made a charging switch harness out of a stock one like the one you have. I spliced an extra pair of wires on the battery side of the switch. I actually have a couple laying around. Let me know if you need one.
BrandO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 07:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I can splice the extra wires to it but I'm still not sure how everything is wired up. A diagram would be nice but that's to much work. I'll let you show at the next GT or comp.
Old 12-25-2006, 09:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

hey scruff...try this instead

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.h...lt%20Regulator

ACC134 6 volt regulator. Wire it just like you did mine. simple, easy, and no charging!
BigRedB2 is offline   Reply With Quote