Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: servo ??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default servo ??

i have jr racing DZ8550 servos in my stick. the front one works as long as theres no load on it, you can stop the shaft from moving with your finger. my question is can i run different servos?? i would like to replace the front one with a hitec 5955 and the rear later. i'm using a TQ3 radio and a rebel 2, thanks dave!
throttleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2006, 07:43 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Don't see why not,should work fine
traylor4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:11 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Before you replace that servo, try a receiver pack or wire in a voltage regulator!
Those servos want a little more amperage than the BEC provides, especially when using more than 6 cells.

Also, the servo horns that are on there have a plastic insert inside a metal horn, make sure the insert isn't stripped!

They worked fine for me for 2 comps and a bunch of practice, and I was kinda surprised th BEC would push them. Sorry you are having issues now!

If they are hurting, it may be because you went to a radio without endpoint adjustments. Digital servos don't like that at all!
You'll hurt the 5955s quick without endpoint adjustments too.

Last edited by Unholy; 12-27-2006 at 08:19 AM.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:46 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy
Before you replace that servo, try a receiver pack or wire in a voltage regulator!
Those servos want a little more amperage than the BEC provides, especially when using more than 6 cells.

Also, the servo horns that are on there have a plastic insert inside a metal horn, make sure the insert isn't stripped!

They worked fine for me for 2 comps and a bunch of practice, and I was kinda surprised th BEC would push them. Sorry you are having issues now!

If they are hurting, it may be because you went to a radio without endpoint adjustments. Digital servos don't like that at all!
You'll hurt the 5955s quick without endpoint adjustments too.
i dont think its an elec prob it sounds like its striped or broken inside,it dont glitch or do weird stuff and the rear works fine.
the plastic insert was the first thing i checked its in good shape.
i thought a 90% servo did'nt need end point adjustments??
and no worries,i'm very happy with it and have used it alot its just wear and tear,that and i'm a little harder on things than most ppl,i dont think theres a part on my 1:1 i have'nt broken !!

Last edited by throttleboy; 12-27-2006 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:09 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleboy
i thought a 90% servo did'nt need end point adjustments??
Any digital servo will fry unless it is limited or able to move it's natural range of motion without being mechanically stopped. Unless you made changes to the steering setup, that rig on the front, only needed about 75% range of motion of the servo. A little more in back, but I don't think it had a full 90 degree swing.
Old 12-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Any digital servo will fry unless it is limited or able to move it's natural range of motion without being mechanically stopped. Unless you made changes to the steering setup, that rig on the front, only needed about 75% range of motion of the servo. A little more in back, but I don't think it had a full 90 degree swing.
so is there another way to make adjustments other than a new radio?? different steering arms?? or a wheel like in the rear??
Old 12-27-2006, 04:14 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, playing with steering link length and servo arm length can put you in the right steering range. You can drill and tap the curent arm at one of the other holes to shorten its throw.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:08 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Yeah, playing with steering link length and servo arm length can put you in the right steering range. You can drill and tap the curent arm at one of the other holes to shorten its throw.
i'll do this!!and thanks for all the help,not only did i get a sweet ride i got great customer service to !!