Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Rx pack help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2006, 06:56 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Rx pack help.

Ive done a search and came across this information which was left...

"There shouldn't be any need to cut any wires. Just put a switch in between the RX pack and your receiver. Get yourself a charging switch harness. It will have an extra lead for charging. This is what the nitro guys use for there RX packs. You will use this switch to turn the truck on and off. Leave the switch on your esc OFF. Put some tape on it or something so it can't be turned on. Turning on both switches sometimes will fry the esc"

I added a hightorque steering servo and a Nosram Magnum reverse esc and a standard acoms servo for shifting into my High-lift. I ran it and found that in 2nd and 3rd gear, if i throttle and steer at the same time the truck stalled.
So i added a 4 cell reciever pack with 2700mah batteries with a switch between them.
The ESC didnt have a switch, it just turned on when the the main battery was connected.
It ran fine for about 5-6 runs and then when i charged it all for a run i turned it all on as usual and it started smoking. It fried the esc and the reciever and my Hi-torque servo:-( .£100 damage.!

Ive just got a new reciever, a new ESC (LRP bullet reverse-0 turn limit) and a new servo.
Im having the same problem with the stalls. Im going to add a RX pack again but this ESC has a switch so back to the information...

There shouldn't be any need to cut any wires. Just put a switch in between the RX pack and your receiver. Get yourself a charging switch harness. It will have an extra lead for charging. This is what the nitro guys use for there RX packs. You will use this switch to turn the truck on and off. Leave the switch on your esc OFF. Put some tape on it or something so it can't be turned on. Turning on both switches sometimes will fry the esc....

How does the Esc get any power if the switch is turned off?

I dont want to try it until im sure because its a lot of money been burnt! Literally.

Some help about Rx pack setup will be much apreciated. Thanks.
4x4crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i am running a LRP Pro Reverse Digital esc and S3305 servo i had glitching as well so i added a 4.8v rx pack i did not cut any wire just plugged it in my B/c slot on my receiver didn't turn my esc on and now it runs fine.

it also help to have your Electronics wired neatly.

Regards

james
Moondust1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:06 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the quick reply, i just cant see how it works though without the ESC switch been on.?
Old 12-31-2006, 07:08 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

me neither but when i don't plug my rx pack in and turn my esc on there is no power there is only power when my rx is connected.

i have been running my esc off now for weeks and it works fine
Moondust1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Ok ill try that tomorow. I hope it works. Im getting withdrawlel symptoms
Old 01-02-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

When you do not have a rx pack installed and you switch on the esc you are actually providing power to the rx, the esc already has power from the main pack. Therefore when using a rx pack you do not need to switch the esc on.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:31 PM   #7

Make sure that the ESC is turned off when you turn the rexeiver pack on or else it will fry your ESC.
redneckracer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Just to be safe you can remove the red wire from the esc plug and insulate it with shrink tubing. Pretty easy, just use an exacto blade and pry the little tab in the plug back a bit and pull the connector pin out with the wire. Doing it this way you can simply re-install the pin if you want to use the esc in another vehicle. Doing this will save your esc in the event you inadvertantly switch on both switches. The esc input wires are white=signal, red=power, and black=ground.
Z-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote