Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Best waterproof Esc to buy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2007, 08:12 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Best waterproof Esc to buy?

I am building a TLT crawler and I am trying to make it waterproof. I really don't know what Esc to buy. I have been looking at the Mtroniks, and the LRP Runner. I hear alot about the Mtroniks not much about the LRP Runner. Does any body run the LRP Runner?
rctraxzdriver33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

You might just try purchasing a normal ESC and waterproofing it via balloon or silicon. Balloon if it doesn't have a heatsink and silicon if it does. I've seen both work well.
ColOrBliNd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #3
MWRCA'er

I've got the LRP runner and it fried after a month. Local hobbytown doesn't stock LRP as they have a bad reputaion of fried ESC's. I've got the Mtronics and the reverse is gutless. There by making the ESC pretty much worthless as you can't rock your truck out of mud. (Runner also has a massive reverse delay) I'd buy a novak esc such as a XRS and just waterproof it by sticking it in a balloon.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 01:45 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

I use an mtroniks viper ssr on my tlt, it has fowards, brake and reverse,it has zero reverse delay and is the same speed in forwards and reverse, I have not had any issues with this esc at all. Here is an ebay link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mtroniks-VIPER...QQcmdZViewItem
If you look on the mtroniks web site it is not on there, I found out about this esc by contacting them and explaining what I wanted and this is the one they recommended. It is an excellent esc , I do not think it will power 2 servo,s because it only has a 1,2 amp bec. I hope this helps.
drzjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

how is this one??
http://www.nosram.com/products.asp?id=28
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijuan
Dunno, but it looks exactly like the AI Runner waterproof esc.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drzjohn
I use an mtroniks viper ssr on my tlt, it has fowards, brake and reverse,it has zero reverse delay and is the same speed in forwards and reverse, I have not had any issues with this esc at all. Here is an ebay link http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mtroniks-VIPER...QQcmdZViewItem
If you look on the mtroniks web site it is not on there, I found out about this esc by contacting them and explaining what I wanted and this is the one they recommended. It is an excellent esc , I do not think it will power 2 servo,s because it only has a 1,2 amp bec. I hope this helps.
how many turns can that esc take?
brendan h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 05:12 PM   #8
I had the hottest girlfriend at the MSD Nats

does $30 sound reasonable for that norsam esc here
http://www.nosram.com/products.asp?id=28
obijuan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:28 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I dont know if I want a runner now or not. It dont sound good I was wondering why I have not heard anything about the runner. I might go with Mtroniks or try to waterproof something else. I have always be a Novak man my self I just dont want to frie one. I want to be able to drive my truck through water and not worry. Some of the best crawling spots are in small creeks.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

A runner should be fine as long as you dont submerge it, even if it does fry because of water, couldnt you get it replaced? I mean, the company does say it can be fully operated underwater...
kerosinek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Mamba 25 esc and a revolver motor from holmes hobbies.
Cole82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

my runner works fine i use mine on a tt-01 but it get plenty of exposure to moisture as its winter in Canada, hasnt fied, only complaint is the reverse delay
Inclodneato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

i run a lrp ai runner. works perfectt under water. its sit on my axel and its been under water at least 3inches. only 1 problem is the reverse delay i want to buy a waterproof one that can do motors to 10t and no delay
brendan h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Default I agree

I have a lrp in my boys TLT. I have not put it in water, but they do claim it will operate completely submerged in water at full power. So I would think they would have to stand behind it. The only thing I don't care for is the reverse delay. Hope this is of some help. I would consider looking into the mtroniks line. They just seem to be hard to come by as well.
rcnut38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 09:43 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Default esc

That is why I looked at the runner, It is easyer to get them in the US. The only place I have found the Mtroniks in the US. is Hobbiepeople.net.
Old 01-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan h
i run a lrp ai runner. works perfectt under water. its sit on my axel and its been under water at least 3inches. only 1 problem is the reverse delay i want to buy a waterproof one that can do motors to 10t and no delay
GM racing V80R , waterproof , 8t motor limit , programmable drag brake , no rev delay ...
manual
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:55 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

EGERSSor that ESC makes me wanna... SHOUT. Where can I get one?
TLTCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 04:36 AM   #18

EGGRESSor was kind enough to help me get my hands on one of these gems and I have had no problems with it to date. full forward, full reverse, full brake at neutral, 100% waterproof... and the instructions include ENGLISH! only cons are availability in the states and cost. personally, i'd rather pay the money once for a good one then buy three crappers trying to find the myth of the perfect cheap waterproof esc. plus balloons are ugly
Tynman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:08 PM   #19

I have the LRP runner and I'll never buy another in the AI series because you have to hit forward everytime you plug in a new battery... it resets the programming... pretty dumb if you ask me.

I had a few issues with reverse on it too, it would jump like crazy when I barely touched reverse, then I changed to a 55T lathe and it went away
electrohacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:11 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrohacker
I have the LRP runner and I'll never buy another in the AI series because you have to hit forward everytime you plug in a new battery... it resets the programming... pretty dumb if you ask me.

I had a few issues with reverse on it too, it would jump like crazy when I barely touched reverse, then I changed to a 55T lathe and it went away
yeah i no tose too ive accidentally hit reverse as soon as i turned on my car and it goes forward and also the wierd "jump"into reverse thing but those are the only things and they arent that bad.
Inclodneato is offline   Reply With Quote