Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone use the Hobbywing USB programming link?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Anyone use the Hobbywing USB programming link?

Bought a used rig that had a 17.5T brushless setup with a Hobbywing justock true spec ESC. Problem is you give it even the smallest throttle input and its at WOT. My options are spend $35 on Hobbywing programming link or spend $135 on a MMP + castle link. I'd rather not go the MMP route unless I know I can't use the current ESC.

So has anyone used the hobbywing USB programming?
GTSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Anyone use the Hobbywing USB programming link?

I have a couple of Hobbywing controllers and always use the USB programmer to change the settings. The software is very similar to Castle Link but feels a little more antiquated. The amount of programming adjustments available varies based on the ESC so simpler ones have a few adjustments while something like the Xerun 120A V3.1 has a ton.

Sounds like your ESC could use a firmware update and a recalibration to your radio.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:28 AM   #3

HobbyWing products are top notch. You can't compare the Justock to the MMP because they're made for two different applications. When comparing apples to apples, you'd be downgrading by going from HobbyWing to Castle IMO.

I have the HobbyWing programming card, but you don't need it. You can program and calibrate the ESC without any extra devices. See the manual here: http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles.../HW-09-JST.pdf
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

No kidding well this is good to hear. I'm going to try the manual programming tomorrow. Wasn't sure how a 45A ESC would do.
Old 01-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Hobbywing has replaced 90% of our local club racers esc's and they have nothing but good things to say about them.

Get the card. You shouldn't be disappointed
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:31 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The 2 in 1 box is killer. Makes adjustments super easy. You won't be disappointed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dpcardoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 04:26 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
HobbyWing products are top notch. You can't compare the Justock to the MMP because they're made for two different applications. When comparing apples to apples, you'd be downgrading by going from HobbyWing to Castle IMO.

I have the HobbyWing programming card, but you don't need it. You can program and calibrate the ESC without any extra devices. See the manual here: http://www.hobbywing.com/uploadfiles.../HW-09-JST.pdf
Care to explain the manual programming in greater detail? Whenever I try to it goes into the neutral, forward, reverse end point adjustment. What's odd is the directions describe the manual programming and end point adjustments in the same first few steps. So far HW gets an F for extremely confusing instructions.

Last edited by GTSLOW; 01-24-2016 at 04:29 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:58 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I run hobbywing gear in my SC race trucks. and have a 120 V3.1 I am going to put in something this spring. I am very pleased with the performance of the Hobbywing gear. I also agree the going from hobbywing to castle, would be a step down in quality, but a step up in cost!!
realsickclown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:32 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Figured it out. You hold the set button for a good 5-6 seconds and then it goes into programming mode. I was only holding it for 3 seconds which gets you into the end point adjustment mode.

Gotta say I'm liking the HW ESC. I dropped punch control down to "1" setting and it has very good low speed/crawling manners. Quite impressed, I'd say a B+!

Last edited by GTSLOW; 01-24-2016 at 07:13 AM.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:55 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

What software are you guys running in your hobbywing"s

I screw up and updated the software and dont know wich one I was running....only 2 of the software options give me a smooth forward/rev but the motor beeps when I use the throttle up to 50%. It never did that before
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote