Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Help!

On my mini-t I have the mamba 25 esc with a duratrax 3ch radio. I'm having a problem with the trim. When its sitting on the floor it, and without me touching nothing on the radio, it wants to go into reverse. I have the throttle trim turned all the way to the direction that would want to make it go forward. So basically, it needs to be able to turn more but can't. How do I fix this?
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2007, 07:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Adjust the trim to zero and reprogram the esc.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Just tried that. No different. But I also disconnected the motor while was doing it, was I supposed to?
Old 01-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I don't think that would matter, sounds weird, try reprograming it with the trim the other way around then adjusting it, but I don't see why that would help either.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:29 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze
I don't think that would matter, sounds weird, try reprograming it with the trim the other way around then adjusting it, but I don't see why that would help either.
Doesn't matter where the trim is. Still doing it. Gah!! I hate electronics that are smarter than I am!
Old 01-13-2007, 05:08 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I still need help. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I am currently having the same problem with a TR2
wrx-n-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrx-n-ktm
I am currently having the same problem with a TR2
Yeah. Its rather annoying.
Old 01-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

If the transmitter has a 70/30 and 50/50 for the throttle then try it on 70/30. I had to do that on my rustler with a mamba max. Then revearse the red and black wires to the motor. If it goes faster in reverse than forward.... then swap em again and reverse the throttle channel on the transmitter.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man
If the transmitter has a 70/30 and 50/50 for the throttle then try it on 70/30. I had to do that on my rustler with a mamba max. Then revearse the red and black wires to the motor. If it goes faster in reverse than forward.... then swap em again and reverse the throttle channel on the transmitter.
So it is safe to reverse the wires to the motor like that? And mine doesn't have the 70/30 and 50/50 setting.
Old 01-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
So it is safe to reverse the wires to the motor like that? And mine doesn't have the 70/30 and 50/50 setting.

Then hold the car off the ground. Give it full forward and full reverse. If the reverse is faster, then you simply have the throttle channel revresed and the motor wires are backwards. But then again, the wires should be all color coated and pretty fool proof. Usually the revers is 50
5 throttle. Ifyou have bad luck still..... Just buy the castle link. That made a huge difference for me. But in the manual programming there is a bunch of crap about applying full reverse and full forward so the ESC will recognize it... Read through that and that might help you.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man
Then hold the car off the ground. Give it full forward and full reverse. If the reverse is faster, then you simply have the throttle channel revresed and the motor wires are backwards. But then again, the wires should be all color coated and pretty fool proof. Usually the revers is 50
5 throttle. Ifyou have bad luck still..... Just buy the castle link. That made a huge difference for me. But in the manual programming there is a bunch of crap about applying full reverse and full forward so the ESC will recognize it... Read through that and that might help you.
On my radio I have it set so the throttle is reversed and the wire on the motor are connected right. Hmmmm? I guess I'll try reversing the motor wires and put the throttle back to normal and see what that does. But that can wait till the morning. I blew out a CVD, so its not going anywhere for some time.

Thanks for the help, too. I appreciate it!
Old 01-14-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like it is calibrated wrong. Green light on the ESC is forward, red light is reverse BTW.

But, it sounds like your radio has a really bad drift. Basically your neutral throttle isnt staying in the same place. Even high end radios can have this, but cheap radios are plagued by it. No matter how many times you reprogram your throttle endpoints your radio will still drift and cause the problem.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:53 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

From my experiance in racing electrics it will run with the wires reversed but I would suggest if the wires are color coded and the motor is labeled +/- I would stick to it, it can be hard on the motor and the timing will be off, I have not worked on a "mini" anything to much so I could be talking out of my butt but I know running a motor in reverse is not healthy but it will not be the end of it by any means just a little harder on it I think dur to the timing.
My suggestion I guess is to switch the reversing switch again to normal and the reset the esc again.

I had a buddy that was racing with me and every time he turned the car on he had to reverse the switch so every other time it was normal and the other times it was reversed WITHOUT setting the esc, that was a mind bender..lol
SIRMAXXALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:57 AM   #15
I'm a stupid C U N T!

the nice thing about nonsensored brushless motors is that they dont care what order the wires are in, if the motor is spinning the wrong way reverse any two wires and it will be fine. If you read the small print in the manual its there too. Just so you dont think i'm giving bad advise
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote