Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Arrrghh! 5995TGs Pissing me off!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Angry Arrrghh! 5995TGs Pissing me off!

Two 5995TGs have completely wacked out on me.

The first one did this: I've only ran 4 packs through it, about 3 hours of use. Now the servo acts as if it has lost it's memory. When applying power instead of centering itself it rotates all the way to the left till it hits max point and holds that position it is also un-responsive to controls to turn it back to the right. It does this when attached to the reciever or directly to the battery. I sent it in and have not heard back yet.

AND now I just was just cawlin outside when all of a sudden a huge puff of smoke came from the other one and it's gone! Burned up. WTF. Both of these 5995TGs have seen very little to no action at all.

They are wired to the main pack at 7.2V just as others have done here on the forum. But I wonder if they are having problems running at that voltage? Sure appears to be. I am leary about running them through the Super Rooster due to their current draw.

This just plain pisses me off. Any other servo that is close to the 5995 in power but doesn't cost as much?

Last edited by cheapjeep2; 02-10-2005 at 05:27 PM.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2005, 05:35 PM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

HiTec HS5945MG has worked flawlessly for me since about August. Powered by an RX pack, a voltage regulator, or directly though the SR BEC. I stripped two sets of gears right away with the LST's on but after that no problems and it turns my JumboMaxx SwampDawgs quite well even with RPM offset wheels.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks Grizz, I'll keep those in mind, I just sent an email to Hitec complaining. So we'll see. Where did you pick up the HiTec HS5945MG?
Old 02-10-2005, 05:51 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

I've heard good things about HiTec's service so hopefully they will take care of you but I have never used it myself.

I bought mine at HobbyTown cuz the Longmont shop quit carrying the HS5645MG. But I have ordered several others from Stormer Hobbies.

https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...pl?pn=HTS35945

I run a HS5645MG up front and a HS5945MG in the rear. I had one 5645 just quit werking on me once but I just wrote it off, figured I'd use the gears and case sometime. Other than that I got no complaints. Dirk uses the 645 and I think 945 analog servos and has had great luck with them. The analog servo's dont make as much torque and the 945 is only $10 less than the 5945 digital.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I think the problem is your running a robot servo in a RC car application. They do have a servo for RC use, the 5955TG with normal 75* rotation and a heatsink case. I honestly think that's the problem, your using a 180* throw servo and it doesn't have a heatsink for the extreme 'always working" RC application.

the 5955 cannot run on 7.2 though, 6V max.
sicj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:48 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Default Update

Well, I went to my favorite LHS tonight, Bob's Hobbie's and we figured out that regardless of what is posted about the servos ability to handle upto 7.4V they are frying being directly connected to the 7.2V stick pack. I

So, I took Grizz's recommendation and picked up to HS-5645MGs from Bob's $72.00 ea. and will rewire everything back to run off of the BEC.

Thanks.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:46 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Default TG blown

My local LHS just blew his TG. No smoke it just stopped working. He is going to open it up and maybe I can get some pictures of the damage. He ran it on 6v as recommended. I hope they recall these. I cancelled my order for these and went with the airtronics 94359z high torque it is only 200 oz. but I hear it works well. Does anyone know if these can handle a 11.1v lipo without a problem? I also will be using a super rooster, will it be o.k. with 11.1v?
a_vdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

SR will be fine w/ 11V. The BEC should cut down the voltage to 6V regardless of input so you should be fine.

I watched Seans TG go, It was pretty uneventful... Just stopped working :? You'd hope for servo's that expensive you'd get a bit more!!
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote