Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Motor troubles/confusion PLEASE HELP!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2005, 11:17 PM   #1
TEAM MODERATOR

Default Motor troubles/confusion PLEASE HELP!

In my Twin,I've been running one of the stock cans. Seems like I remember reading somewhere that they were 27T but I could be wrong. I just tried running my new 55T lathe motor and was HIGHLY disapointed. With the stock motor,I was getting about 15 to 20 minutes run time. The torque though was kindly pitafull at times,even with the 3.8 geared GD 600. I figured a 55T lathe motor would fix me right up,torque wise and add some run time as well.

Either I got a bad motor,new,out of the box,I've got something wired wrong or these 55T lathe motors truely blow on Bo Bo's big purple nose. I've ended up with less torque(it seems like anyway) and at most 5 minutes run times. It can't be the batteries. They are both Reedy 3000 stick packs,may not be top of the line but..................

With either one in my Twin with a stock motor I get better torque and more run time. I can also put both batteries in my sons Emaxx(12 tooth pinions,2 stock Titans and LST's) and run it hard for 15-20 minutes.

I've not changed anything but the motor. I would think it has to be something in the motor or I've goofed on the end bell. Does anyone have a picture of the back of their 55T lathe motor,hooked up and in the car ready to run? That way I can confirm that I've got it right or wrong. What other problems could this be?

PLEASE HELP
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2005, 12:15 AM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbks5
I assume the mesh isn't too tight correct? Did you break in the motor? If not run the motor for about 15 minutes on a 4 cell pack to break in those brushes. Also do you have in Integy or Eagle lathe motors?
Mesh? I have no idea what your talking about there. I took it by the LHS and he played with them for a while and doesn't understand why they are acting like they are. He ran some "com oil" ? on something while on the throtlewith no change. He said they were fine and should run great.

Break them in? I didn't know I had to break them in. 4 cell pack,DAMN, ain't got one. I don't really want to even think about trying to solider anymore cells together. I have a hard time solidering wires together,let alone batteries.

Oh ya,it's an Integy
Old 02-12-2005, 06:04 AM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

im stumped, unless your timing is set to 90 degrees. does the motor get hot when you run it? how about your ESC?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 10:06 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

O.K. mesh as in gear mesh,nope,not to tight. I can lightly turn every gear between my motor and driveshafts with my finger and feel just a butt hair of slack. I'm possative there can't be any bind there.

The charger I'm using is an Integy 16x4. Setting #4 allows you to cycle the battery to erase memory,it takes about 3 hours. I went ahead and tried cycling 1 of my batteries and then running it.

I now can tell part of it was my batteries. I've not tried the cycled batteries in my sons Emaxx yet but I would asume there will be a big difference there also. These 55T's do have more power or torque,however you wanna say it,than my stockers. The thing is,I was running without my body,I noticed little sparks inside the motor. I quickly unpluged the battery and stopped running it. I don't,or didn't think this was normal. Is it? :? If it's not,whats the deal? Can it be fixxed?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:43 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
The thing is,I was running without my body,I noticed little sparks inside the motor. I quickly unpluged the battery and stopped running it. I don't,or didn't think this was normal. Is it? :? If it's not,whats the deal? Can it be fixxed?

The sparks are normal in electric motors. It is called arching, and it is caused by the brushes bouncing on the commutator (due to an out of round comm.).
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 12:50 AM   #6
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN
The sparks are normal in electric motors. It is called arching, and it is caused by the brushes bouncing on the commutator (due to an out of round comm.).
Sparks are normal, he said motor was brand new. The comm wouldn't be out of round already, would it?
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:00 AM   #7
2006 2.2 National Champ

P.S. With my set-up (check sig) and a 2400 mah battery I can run for at least an hour, probably more. I just installed lathe motor too. I put it in truck and ran it lightly for a few minutes w/ it in my hand. This was my "break in method" Once in a while I get a little hic-up in reception, but I know that's my cheesy antenna routing.

I haven't installed any caps on motor yet either.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:56 AM   #8
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER
Sparks are normal, he said motor was brand new. The comm wouldn't be out of round already, would it?
Thats exactly what scared me. I thought DAMN this is a brand spanking new motor,it shouldn't be throwin sparks yet,I wouldn't think anyway. I said to hell with it,turned the yard lights on and run it just now.

It ran good and I ran it for about 45 minutes without any loss of power. I was gonna keep going but I was going from one obsticle to another,about 30 or 35 feet apart. I held it wide open the whole way bewtween and as soon as I just about got to the next obsticle the motor started smoking.

SURELY this isn't "normal". I can't seem to get a break with this crap. Whats the deal? This crap is starting to piss me off.

I should or would think my set up is O.K. and I should get about an hours run time. I'm running an EVX set up for 1 motor/battery,3000 mah battery,3.8 GD600,1 945 Hitech,Traxxass rec. and a Trinity rec. pack.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:00 PM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

sounds like a short in the motor to me. can you take the endbell off and inspect the wires?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Well,I guess I could? Wouldn't really know what to look for but I'll try it. Maybe the problem will stand out to me.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:17 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Davids TXT-1 does the same thing. It's due to haveing such low gearing-when you run a motor wide open with low gearing it puts little resistance on the motor so things get hot.

It's alot like keeping a real car at full throtal in last gear on the interstate for 10 or 20 minutes

So really it's not abnormal but then again it's not a good thing either ;)
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
TEAM MODERATOR

Well,I'm wondering and have been for a couple days now,if a Magnetic Mayhem would suit me better. I'd like to know the difference between the 2. Anyone care to comment?

Thanks guys.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Something must be hooked up wrong or wrong with the motor. Did you alter the timing of the motors? There should be a little notch on the can, align that with the endbell screw and you will have zero timing which is best for crawling applications.
newracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:00 PM   #14
TEAM MODERATOR

I've not changed anything with these. I pulled them out of the box,solidered the wires,tightend my pinion down and bolted it up. I'll pull the end bell off to look tommorrow but I'm kinda thinking of getting a couple Magnetic Mayhem's,i dunno,not real sure just yet.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

are they the red or black end bell?
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:58 PM   #16
PapaGriz Yo

What is your overall gear reduction through the whole drivetrain? Lathe motors turn much less rpm than even a stock can. If you are geared too low the motors will seem like they suck because you have to try and spin them too fast to move your rig the same speed as before.
55T motors werk great in Clods because they only have 48 to 1 gear reduction (w/ an 8T pinion).
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote