Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: HS-5955TG issues?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2007, 08:41 PM   #1
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Default HS-5955TG issues?

I picked up some new servos...an HS-5955TG and an HS-985MG. The question is...I have read some threads on here regarding the 5955's overheating and burning themselves up. I see on The Crawler Store's website, that they recommend a voltage regulator if running two of them. I realize I am not running two, but I want to make sure I get these hooked up right to not burn them...and also at the same time would like to know if I will have enough power to run both of these servos.

I run 7 cells and a TR2 (so I assume I will have enough BEC?)

Thanks for any info.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

The TR2 will give you more than enough. 3 amps will run two servos, so 5 amps should have no problem running one.
calyakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

7 Cells will drop the amperage of the BEC slightly.
You may still be OK. It won't cause your servo to burn out, you'll just get glitching.

What you really need to worry about with those servos is getting the end points set. They will burn up fast if mechanically limited by your steering throw. You need a radio that lets you set EPA or have a VERY good steering setup.
Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 09:18 PM   #4
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unholy
7 Cells will drop the amperage of the BEC slightly.
You may still be OK. It won't cause your servo to burn out, you'll just get glitching.

What you really need to worry about with those servos is getting the end points set. They will burn up fast if mechanically limited by your steering throw. You need a radio that lets you set EPA or have a VERY good steering setup.
I have a DX6, so setting the EP's are easily enough done. Thanks for the heads up on that...I may have just thrown them in and went to crawlin'
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 11:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Offroader5, I have those exact servos and ESC on my TXT. The BEC will not handle that combo, I know this. After the TR2 gave up the ghost, I installed a MPI servo regulator to let the new TR2 be happy, and to feed the servos the current they need. Here's the link to my post about the regulator:MPI servo regulator install
The servo regulator output amperage will be a little less with 7 cells vs 6 cells, but it should work better than the BEC.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote