Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: does anyone know of another stubby brushed motor like the tamiya acto-tuned?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default does anyone know of another stubby brushed motor like the tamiya acto-tuned?

I've been looking for an M special for over a year, but they're unicorns. I want one to put in an mf-01x but I'm not having any luck. The only places that list them are ones that I've never heard of, or list them as out of stock since they aren't made any more.

Does anyone know of another stubby brushed motor like it?
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2017, 11:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: does anyone know of another stubby brushed motor like the tamiya acto-tuned?

This?

OP251 Tamiya Acto Tuned M Special Motor
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: does anyone know of another stubby brushed motor like the tamiya acto-tuned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
yeah, that's the one. I've never heard of that place, you know if they're legit?

I tried to see if they take paypal, it says the store is offline and checkout is disabled. :(
Old 04-30-2017, 11:53 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like jason doesn't want to disturb his mother with the sounds of the cash register at night from the basement.

I have no idea, it looks like a dude that bought out an old hobby shop or something and went online. Could be legit or you may get nothing but spammed by Nigerian princes trying to shower you with $1000 bills I have no idea either way.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:42 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Those were released in the mid 90s...didn't make them long, as the armature was way smaller than it should of been and the magnets were junk. They were pure RPM meant to move a little car that weighed only a couple of pounds...and they still burned up with ease.

When they show up, they are typically big bucks as they are pretty rare to find in good shape. A new in package unit sold about a year ago in one of the facebook groups for over $150.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 06:05 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I bought mine last year on Ebay, NIP $30 each. They can be found with some patience. I was looking for quite a while, and wasn't going to pay ridiculous collector prices.

I would love some options motor-wise with a shorter can.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Those were released in the mid 90s...didn't make them long, as the armature was way smaller than it should of been and the magnets were junk. They were pure RPM meant to move a little car that weighed only a couple of pounds...and they still burned up with ease.

When they show up, they are typically big bucks as they are pretty rare to find in good shape. A new in package unit sold about a year ago in one of the facebook groups for over $150.

Later EddieO

C'mon Eddie! we all KNOW you could build a bad ass stubby motor that would save weight for MOA's and for scalers that would like to have that little bit of extra room for interior space.

EDIT: I thought about using an outrunner for the mf-01x, but the can sticks out the side in back with no protection.

EDIT EDIT: I think you used to build a stubby, didn't you?

Last edited by makya; 05-01-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I bought mine last year on Ebay, NIP $30 each. They can be found with some patience. I was looking for quite a while, and wasn't going to pay ridiculous collector prices.

I would love some options motor-wise with a shorter can.
I know, I'm the resident OSRC stalker on URC.

I'd love to see some options as well. If Eddie made an M special sized can at about $75, I'd buy more than one
Old 05-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
RCC Addict

What kind of dimensions are these? 540 (36mm) diameter and 380 can length? If so, I can think of a few applications where that would be a sweet setup.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 10:29 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
What kind of dimensions are these? 540 (36mm) diameter and 380 can length? If so, I can think of a few applications where that would be a sweet setup.
that's roughly the size of it. I'd love to have that as an option, but they're impossible to find these days. I wish there was enough interest for Brood or Holmes to make a brushed motor that size again. they've both made stubby motors in the past, but not as short as the m special.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:30 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
C'mon Eddie! we all KNOW you could build a bad ass stubby motor that would save weight for MOA's and for scalers that would like to have that little bit of extra room for interior space.

EDIT: I thought about using an outrunner for the mf-01x, but the can sticks out the side in back with no protection.

EDIT EDIT: I think you used to build a stubby, didn't you?
I already build two stubby type motors, the original stubby and the nexus. A new version of the stubby should debut some time this year...Will be around nexus price hopefully.

Quote:
I know, I'm the resident OSRC stalker on URC.

I'd love to see some options as well. If Eddie made an M special sized can at about $75, I'd buy more than one
Never gonna happen at $75....simply too much custom parts to make them. If shorter magnets and armatures were readily available, might be able to get close, but never going to happen with the amount of motors that would be sold for a niche market.

Quote:
that's roughly the size of it. I'd love to have that as an option, but they're impossible to find these days. I wish there was enough interest for Brood or Holmes to make a brushed motor that size again. they've both made stubby motors in the past, but not as short as the m special.
Actually, I did make a couple of motors that were way shorter than even my stubby, in fact they were shorter than these Tamiya motors as well. I only made two, that were intended to go in a MOA trying to hit sub 3 lbs. Project was given up on and they sat. I ended up selling them to guys to put into MRCs, as they simply did not have the grunt for an MOA or even a shafty. One went to Oregon, other ended up in Europe at first....I think they are both in Europe now....a quick search on here will probably net you some pics...might be some on my facebook.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote

does anyone know of another stubby brushed motor like the tamiya acto-tuned? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya CR Tuned Motor RichardinNZ Electronics 3 09-22-2014 01:39 PM
tamiya 35t CR tuned motor? StraightCreepin87 Electronics 3 04-03-2014 04:05 PM
Etronix sport tuned modified 50t brushed motor angeloreyes27 Electronics 0 09-09-2013 01:55 AM