Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: homebuilt 12v powersupply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default homebuilt 12v powersupply

I found these instructions on how to convert a pc power supply for use with a battery charger. This should be a cheap solution for a supply for my ICE.

http://www.mattsrcstuff.com/PCPS.htm

What I don't understand is why there needs to be resistors across the 5v power leads. What does that accomplish? Why not just use them to power the fans?

Any help appreciated as I may try this. Going to look up what a PS will cost me right meow.

rash
rash_powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
I'm a stupid C U N T!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4055

10 amp 12v PS. we have them at the store to power our in house triton and other goodies
slobin3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:53 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

The directions for the ICE recommend having a supply capable of 15A. I haven't found what it needs that much juice for, but that is recommended.

rash
rash_powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Look into a Pyramid PSV200, they are cheap , powerful, and the best bang for the buck. I am running 2 Pulsars off of mine and it has never even had a hiccup.
SIRMAXXALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

heres a simple mod i used with pictures.... http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/show...wer+supply+mod
sydneysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 09:32 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I use a pc power supply. I didn't do anything to it, just ripped it out and found the ground and the wire labeled 12v, been using it for about a year with no problem, it runs my piranna peak charger no problem.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:14 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I tried using one built by a computuer nerd but iy lastest until I hooked up a second charger which he said ir would handle and ___WOOF____ out came the magic smoke.
SIRMAXXALOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:13 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The resistor across the 5v source is to turn the supply on. Some power supplies need a load to turn on, much like the digital transformer that powers the track lights in my basement. I tried testing it with no load, and got 0 volts. hooked up a light and viola, 12v.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:04 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Look at the PK12PS:

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...6039&pgid=chrg
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

You don't necessarily have to have resistors across the 5V source. For the most part, PC PSUs use motherboard detection as a way of determining whether to power up or not. A simple workaround for that is to take the Green wire from the motherboard connector on the PSU and wire it up to one of the black wires. This creates a complete circuit and as long as you have a PSU with a switch in the back (most ATX), then you're set. If you don't have a switch, you can wire a simple one between the two previously mentioned wires.

Oh, and did I mention that a PC PSU can power a car stereo amplifier, as long as you don't exceed the PSU's amp rating? I'm using a 250W to power a 2x95 amp for my two back channel speakers in my home theater. I have a 600W PSU that's rated at 26A that would power just about anything.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Default .

http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Com...b-Power-Supply

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showpost...74&postcount=6

i didnt build a power supply yet but both of these seem more detailed then the links you have
tmaxxking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I have created about 6 of these things, people keep offering to buy the one im using, so I sell it and build another (I build/upgrade computers as a hobby as well so I have about 15 of these things laying around). Instead of using the resistors, I just put a automotive light in there which will act like a on/off indicator. The resistor is to put a draw on the +5v wire so the +12v wire will put out its full capacity, which the automotive light works perfectly for. With about 5 bucks in materials (not including the PS) and 2-3 hours you can make one of these. The last one I made I tested it at 12.85 volts which is more then enough to power 2 chargers, which I do.

note: a power supply of 15a is way to much for this, minimum I would say about 6 amps.

Last edited by DarkOne427; 02-01-2007 at 01:12 AM.
DarkOne427 is offline   Reply With Quote