Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba X noise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2017, 01:26 PM   #1
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

Default Mamba X noise

I've just recently kitted my Twin Hammers out with Castle 3800kv Slate motor and Mamba X combo.

It's good, but i struggle with the electroninc whineing noise at slow speed.
I know it's related to slow speed motor control and the drag brake (i have only 20% drag brake set at the moment).

My Holmes brushless setup has excellent performance whilst being super quiet.

Anyone know of a way i can stop the whine, even at the cost of some performance?
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Mamba X noise

If your comparing the X to the Holmes BLE, that's why your spoiled. Holmes has the adj frequency as JRH also hates the ringing, so his firmware made the difference. Until he uses the X platform your outa luck I'm afraid

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Dbx
Quarry Creeper

My MMP is also nowhere near as bad. I'm wondering if i would have been happier with another MMP or even better, another BLE.
Dbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You can go back on firmware. Pretty sure its just the newest one thats loud, I think its V2.02, so go back one before that.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 04:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Everything I could dig up on Mamba "noise" from new firmware :

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
You can disable all beeps if you want to run in a 'stealth mode', it will be quiet while parked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
It does come from the switching frequency of the motor. I don't know that the new firmware is technically any louder than the old firmware, but it is more noticeable because it is using a dynamic frequency with high speed modulation in order to increase resolution of the throttle and to reduce the minimum RPM the motor can run at.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Porfert View Post
The noise is an unfortunate side effect of the improved drag brake. There are a few more changes that incresse the amplitude as well. A higher drag brake %, certain motosr, heavier vehicle and driving on an incline lead to a more audible noise. Quieting the noise may impact the improvements to low speed throttle response and drag brake; but it is certainly worth attempting.
The long beep after the arming tones is the ESC letting you know it cleared the data logs. So I'm assuming you have the "Automatic Data Reset" function activated. If it's set to "0% (Disabled) it will do that on each startup.
Thomas Porfert
Tech Support
Castle Creations
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

The MX being as smooth as it is with my PP2700 I can live with its slight whine. I hear louder brushed motors crawling around me all the time and even louder pinions on a horrible mesh by a new RC'er. I guess indoor crawling setups like the ones at our hobbyshops it could become a nuisance
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mamba X noise - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mamba, Mamba, Mamba's **Just Recieved New Shipment** Along With Lots of Cool Stuff Rockpiledriver RCP Crawlers 17 09-16-2007 10:33 AM