Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servos seem sketchy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2007, 05:50 PM   #1

Default Servos seem sketchy

Hey guys,
I have two Hitech HS-645MG servos with Kimbrough servo savers in my TXT-1 that I have been having some problems with. I am fairly new to this but believe that I have set them up right (I tried to set them to neutral but they still needed some tweaking). Anyway, the wheels start off straight but as soon as the truck starts moving and turning the alignment gets all out of wack and the truck does not run straight or turn correctly. It's like these things have a mind of their own.
If I pick the truck up and turn the steering it's fine. What's the deal?
Any help on setting these servos up and the issue at hand is appreciated.
Thanks.
markja is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Loose the servo savers and see if that changes anything.
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:16 PM   #3
TEAM MODERATOR

We had an old 645 laying around we would run as a spare or use it for mock up when building mounts. We called it " Ol' twitchy" While in the rig,you'd turn the Tx wheel and it would turn(as well as a 645 would anyway)and when it hit the steering stops,it would twitch back and forth a bit. When you'd let go of the Tx wheel to go back to center and drive straight,sometimes it wouldn't quite make it back to center. I always assumed it was the steering pot in the servo that was going bad. Could be the same with yours maybe if it centers one time but not the next.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Keep it real

I'm thinking it is probably the servo savers as well, I had a kimbrough heavy duty one on my tlt, and it would do just what you are describing.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

No matter what servo you use, a servo saver will give the steering some float in a TXT or other large vehicle.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:31 PM   #6
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis
I'm thinking it is probably the servo savers as well, I had a kimbrough heavy duty one on my tlt, and it would do just what you are describing.

Was that aimed at me?

I don't use servo savers
Old 02-01-2007, 06:23 AM   #7

Thanks guys.
I have since removed the Kimbrough servo savers and installed one of the arms that came with the 645Mg's. I just drove it around the carpet a bit and so far but it seems to be better. Now all 4 wheels turn at a stand still while on the carpet, and while I was driving the truck seemed to straighten out at neutral. I will know more when I test it outside on some real terrain.
As far as the servo savers, I was using them becuse I thought it was the best way to go as far as 'saving the servos'. I guess I just have to be real careful without them as far as hitting anything at faster speeds. Is there any other recommendations of servo savers that won't cause this same problem, or do you guys just do without them?
Thanks for the help.
markja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:43 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by markja
Thanks guys.
I have since removed the Kimbrough servo savers and installed one of the arms that came with the 645Mg's. Is there any other recommendations of servo savers that won't cause this same problem, or do you guys just do without them?
Thanks for the help.
If you're gonna use the plastic servo horns that came with the servos, the horns will break before you do any damage to the servos. You only really run into problems if you run the aluminum horns.

I do run a servo saver on most of my rigs, but you have to pick the right one for the application. The stock servo savers that come with most trucks, are meant to be used with a stock servo, so the springs in them have to be fairly weak to protect the plastic gears.

If you are gonna run a metal geared servo such as the 645MG, you need to run a servo saver with a stronger spring... Such as...

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFNE8&P=7

I run this one on my rig 2.2 rig. The spring is strong enough that it will still turn the tires on carpet, but takes the edge off any big hits.
K_Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 11:51 AM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Willis
If you're gonna use the plastic servo horns that came with the servos, the horns will break before you do any damage to the servos. You only really run into problems if you run the aluminum horns.
Back when I ran 645's,I trashed ALLOT of them while running a plastic servo arm. I've never broke a plastic servo arm,stripped the splines out of a few but never snapped one.