Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: my radio glitches

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 PM   #1

Default my radio glitches

hello everyone. i'm using futaba 3prka 2.4g system. it worked fine in the beginning. after playing 2 or 3 times it began to glitch occasionally. batteries in transmitter are all new. glitches did not happen at home / indoor. besides i noticed that the range was unreasonably short. the car received no signal if it was approx. 20m away. what is the possible cause?
pourMoneyIntoSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 AM   #2

Default Re: my radio glitches

Had this same issue with a different radio system and turned out to be antenna wire on the receiver. Replaced the receiver and all was good. Took receiver apart and discovered I had pulled the antenna wire loose from the board. Not sure this your problem but sounds like the same issue I had.
ptcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruiser View Post
Had this same issue with a different radio system and turned out to be antenna wire on the receiver. Replaced the receiver and all was good. Took receiver apart and discovered I had pulled the antenna wire loose from the board. Not sure this your problem but sounds like the same issue I had.
thanks for your help. i checked the antenna of receiver and found it normal, no damage. just test it indoor and i found that the car lost signal even if the transmitter is approx. 10 feet away..==

the video shows the situation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQwb6coWNiA
Old 01-24-2018, 09:36 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You could try and un-bind then re-bind the Transmitter to the Receiver. I had this problem with a Spektrum and this resolved it.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

First thing is to make sure the RX & TX antennas are pointing upright, for the TX that means holding the base level. It wouldn't explain THAT short of a range though. Is the antenna very close to motor or it's wires? Does this happen when you disconnect the motor & just twist the servo? If it works much better w/o the motor, that's a sign of major EMI interfering with the signal. Another thing that interferes is Wifi and bluetooth signals (routers, printers, phones, headsets, wireless mice/kb's, game controllers, etc). Does it get significantly better in an isolated field outside?

My guess would be the TX's internal antenna is damaged or mis-connected. You may have to contact Futaba with this vid.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
You could try and un-bind then re-bind the Transmitter to the Receiver. I had this problem with a Spektrum and this resolved it.
I read the manual and can't find the way to unbind them. anyway I will try figuring it out. thanks for your help.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
First thing is to make sure the RX & TX antennas are pointing upright, for the TX that means holding the base level. It wouldn't explain THAT short of a range though. Is the antenna very close to motor or it's wires? Does this happen when you disconnect the motor & just twist the servo? If it works much better w/o the motor, that's a sign of major EMI interfering with the signal. Another thing that interferes is Wifi and bluetooth signals (routers, printers, phones, headsets, wireless mice/kb's, game controllers, etc). Does it get significantly better in an isolated field outside?

My guess would be the TX's internal antenna is damaged or mis-connected. You may have to contact Futaba with this vid.
the antenna of receiver is far away from the motor. i guess it is the tx having problem too..
Old 01-24-2018, 07:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourMoneyIntoSea View Post
I read the manual and can't find the way to unbind them. anyway I will try figuring it out. thanks for your help.
Search on youtube. That’s where I found the “hack” / procedure for the Spektrum.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:31 AM   #9

I should have said mine looked fine to with the naked eye but when looking at it with magnifying glass you could see the inner small wire from the center of the antenna was loose from the board. This wire is pretty small and hard to see. There is two wires on the antenna a center wire and outer core. I would look at this very close or try another receiver.
ptcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Search on youtube. That’s where I found the “hack” / procedure for the Spektrum.
tried unbind and rebind. still no luck..==
Old 01-25-2018, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptcruiser View Post
I should have said mine looked fine to with the naked eye but when looking at it with magnifying glass you could see the inner small wire from the center of the antenna was loose from the board. This wire is pretty small and hard to see. There is two wires on the antenna a center wire and outer core. I would look at this very close or try another receiver.
i examined the antenna of receiver. i found no fault of it.

Old 01-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

With that goo there it's like viewing a diamond in a closet. The white goo could have been put over a bad solder joint. It's unlikely Futaba would do that but not impossible, and quite likely since it has less range than a cheap bluetooth audio device.

At this point you need Futaba to test it or test your TX/RX with another Futaba TX/RX.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:24 PM   #13

Couple of things to check. The antenna is the tip and the wire is the extension. Is the tip (skinny part) pointed up and clear of electronic interference and undamaged? Try temporarily moving the receiver away from where it currently is (move to the side or hang) but away from electrics/wire and moving parts. If that doesn't work, you may have to send back to Futaba. If you have a LHS and that's where you bought it, try and see if they are willing to test different receiver and/or transmitter.
rskoncepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:43 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrocarbon92 View Post
With that goo there it's like viewing a diamond in a closet. The white goo could have been put over a bad solder joint. It's unlikely Futaba would do that but not impossible, and quite likely since it has less range than a cheap bluetooth audio device.

At this point you need Futaba to test it or test your TX/RX with another Futaba TX/RX.
it seems to be a faulty device and i should send it back to Futaba for inspection and repair. it is the first time i encounter such kind of bad luck..^^'
Old 01-25-2018, 06:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskoncepts View Post
Couple of things to check. The antenna is the tip and the wire is the extension. Is the tip (skinny part) pointed up and clear of electronic interference and undamaged? Try temporarily moving the receiver away from where it currently is (move to the side or hang) but away from electrics/wire and moving parts. If that doesn't work, you may have to send back to Futaba. If you have a LHS and that's where you bought it, try and see if they are willing to test different receiver and/or transmitter.
tried placing the antenna of receiver as far away from electronics as possible. the situation remained the same.

i bought a new set of tx/rx from traxxas and would send the Futaba set to factory for inspection.

my radio glitches - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glitches kingmudder Newbie General 4 10-01-2015 08:40 PM
I've got glitches! I need help! (Please?) grob23 Electronics 8 10-20-2012 04:49 PM
Glitches and more glitches reden Electronics 18 09-22-2011 12:25 PM
dx.2 sidewinder glitches help please ENZLOW Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 10-11-2008 03:16 PM
i gots the glitches..... 85toycrawler Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 08-17-2008 10:42 PM