Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What brand and mah Lipo 3s packs are you guys using now a days?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2018, 09:51 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What brand and mah Lipo 3s packs are you guys using now a days?

Been out rc hobby 6ish years. I use to run brushless on our stadium trucks and pan cars. I ran turnigy hardcase lipos without issue.

Im getting into crawling and will likely be getting an scx10 and a everest gen7 or everest10 for my son. I am going to keep the stock electronics and brushed system. I see a few people say in some threads to run a 3s lipo. But what mah and C(discharge) are you guys running with the brushed setup? I also see Turnigy batteries being hated on alot. Has the quality gone down? If so, what brand is good in the same price range?
Nobody79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What brand and mah Lipo 3s packs are you guys using now a days?

I went from Turnigy hardcases to softpacks (and/or other HK soft packs besides Turnigy branded: Nano-techs, Rhino, Zippy).
The hardpacks were more trouble than worth. They kept moisture in, the cells and the insulation on the leads sometimes got damaged around the case holes.

Anyway. In a scaler which doesn't see big currents or big hits (like a MT or 1/8 buggy would), I think they're best bang for buck. Especially if you catch them on sale, and HK always has plenty of packs on sale. I live in Europe so my choices are different than yours. But over here nothing beats Hobbyking packs in terms of price/performance.

edit: oh yeah, I run a 5Ah 3s 30C pack in my Wraith, barely fits under the hood but gives a couple of hours of trailing until storage voltage.

Last edited by Ninomaniac; 02-10-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:26 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody79 View Post
Been out rc hobby 6ish years. I use to run brushless on our stadium trucks and pan cars. I ran turnigy hardcase lipos without issue.

Im getting into crawling and will likely be getting an scx10 and a everest gen7 or everest10 for my son. I am going to keep the stock electronics and brushed system. I see a few people say in some threads to run a 3s lipo. But what mah and C(discharge) are you guys running with the brushed setup? I also see Turnigy batteries being hated on alot. Has the quality gone down? If so, what brand is good in the same price range?
I would Say no problem with Turnigy( good brand )

Brushed motors give you more smoother feel and better drag brake compared to brushless motors. I liked brushed motors so much on my SCX10 II. BUT for rock racer racing bashing type I still prefer brushless for no to limited maintenance.

Slow crawler normally good C-rating( true C ) at least at 30-40C
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:43 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The only Turnigy that really suck are the Nanotech. I got a box of used blues and most are still fine, those that aren't I put thru hell. The trick is NOT overdischarging them (3.5v MAX) and not storing them above 4.0v for more than a day. It's unlikely you'll need more than 30-40A on a heavy brushed rig, so something like a 2200mAh/25C would suffice. 3300's are usually a better physical size IMO, and you can get them fairly cheap with higher current limits. I always recommend getting good batteries (and chargers & esc) to save headaches later, so I'd really recommend Gens Ace or SMC for decent priced performance batts.

As far as 3S with those models, it's plenty. I started with an E10 and immediately tossed in a Turnigy 3S. Batt is still fine after 2 years and truck was great on power. An extra tooth or a 35T motor would feel better. My Wraith has a 27T on 3S now with stump-pulling 6.2:1 gearing and it's great.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 01:59 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Thats what I was wondering about on the C rating with brushed setup. The ESC on the Everest Gen 7 is continuous 40a and Peak 180a. I wasnt too sure if a 4000 to 5000 mah with a true 25c rating would give more then about 2 hours of trail time... I didnt find too many 5000 mah packs in 30c or 35c..

How long do you think a 3000mah to 4000 would last at 30c in a brushed trail rig?

Last edited by Nobody79; 02-10-2018 at 02:05 AM.
Nobody79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

ValueHobby
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:22 AM   #7

Turnigy and SMC are my preferred brands

I use the highest C rating I can get. It never hurts to have too much. I use 5000mAh batteries in my SCX10. It adds weight but it gives long run times.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody79 View Post
How long do you think a 3000mah to 4000 would last at 30c in a brushed trail rig?
A few hours if you mean per charge, but maybe 1hr for a full-throttle kid basher. I get several hours with a 45T and a Turnigy 3300.

You find amps by multiplying mAh by C rating and dividing by 1000. 3000x30/1000= 90 amps. A 540 brushed motor 21t or higher won't be drawing more than 40A continuous. Last time I measured a $10 45t motor it was 30A in the grass while I was pushing it nearly to the ground; on dirt it was less than 15A.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:04 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Turnigy and SMC are my preferred brands

I use the highest C rating I can get. It never hurts to have too much. I use 5000mAh batteries in my SCX10. It adds weight but it gives long run times.
I use 5000mAh in my Truggy as well BECAUSE they add weight. Battery mount is positioned low and forward.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #10

Any other decent brands to consider? I'd always gone to SPC for my batteries, but now they're gone. I'd like to pick up a small-ish 2S for my Clone Hammers as well as a 4000mah-ish 3S for my Bomber. Turnigy is an option, but my older Turnigy packs didn't seem to hold up as well as my other ones, so I'm interested in seeing what else there is that has quality similar to the SPCs.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Any other decent brands to consider? I'd always gone to SPC for my batteries, but now they're gone. I'd like to pick up a small-ish 2S for my Clone Hammers as well as a 4000mah-ish 3S for my Bomber. Turnigy is an option, but my older Turnigy packs didn't seem to hold up as well as my other ones, so I'm interested in seeing what else there is that has quality similar to the SPCs.
I swear by Turnigy, but if you want to try something similar to SPC go with SMC.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:27 PM   #12
RCC Addict

SMC or Gens Ace for me.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 11:35 PM   #13

Gens ace
betty is offline   Reply With Quote

What brand and mah Lipo 3s packs are you guys using now a days? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Poll: What Brand Lipo Packs Do You Run? Die-Laughing Electronics 27 10-08-2011 02:14 PM