Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Bec\ubec .. Supposed to be simple.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2018, 02:05 PM   #1
NaC

Smile Bec\ubec .. Supposed to be simple.

Running savox sc-1268sg
Cheap bec
Traxxas older 3chnl on crystals.
Using y harness

Browning and glitchy. Servo is loud thats normal. Im pulling signal amd ground from rx should i just be using sig? Its a painted steel chassis built by me. Should i ground my chassis?
NaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2018, 02:47 PM   #2
NaC

Default Re: Bec\ubec .. Supposed to be simple.

Here is y harn. I am using.

Last edited by NaC; 03-03-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-03-2018, 02:51 PM   #3
NaC

https://holmeshobbies.com/electronic...s-adapter.html
Old 03-03-2018, 03:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

My guess would be not enuff amps Savox servos use alot of power your cheap bec probably isent strong enuff for it my bec pushes 8amps and my savox still had issues with gliching and overheating
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

If using that adapter correctly, there is no way the servo would brown out the receiver. The ESC should have all 3 wires go to the receiver, yellow/black on that servo harness to the receiver, yellow/red/black end to servo, and red/black to external BEC. The key to avoiding brown-outs is to power the receiver totally separate from the servo, and the ESC can do that just fine.

That servo could be beefy enough to overwhelm a cheap BEC. 3-5A peak isn't uncommon, and many cheap BEC's can barely do 2A...but stamped with claims of 3A continuous & 5A peak.

Keep all wires as short as possible too. Some servos don't like multiple extensions, as the low voltage signal becomes weak.
Hydrocarbon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
NaC

https://www.google.com/search?q=heng...P0LlkNRo_3exM:

8a output with 12a burst. Set on the 7.4v setting.

When wheels are off ground it seems fine but regular use it wont center, turn and seems to lack all power. Also is affected by throttle\brake\reverse input..

Would it hurt if i removed grnd from receiver? Yes its being powered by esc which is on the crawler mode could that affect it? Savox says that servo can run 2s unregulated should i just get a small 2s pack for it? Didnt really want that weight since rig is getting closer to 8lbs
Old 03-04-2018, 10:14 AM   #7
NaC

Update: using 7cell nimh pack. The bec light dims to off when using fwd\rev. If not using throttle trigger for a few seconds the steering works well. How do i remedy this one? Seperate bec battery right?
Old 03-05-2018, 08:05 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Take clear pics of the wires/bec/battery/servo because I am certain you have something wired wrong. This is like hitting the wipers on a real car and the throttle blipping itself - it all points to a wiring issue. I have that same BEC and it works perfect, but I am also 100% certain mine is wired correctly.

When you mention it's grounded via the receiver, is that the BEC's only ground? A BEC should have it's main power/ground wires direct to the battery, and an ADDITIONAL wire connecting to the receiver's ground. If you only ground it to the RX, that means the return in that circuit has to pass thru the RX and ESC before back to the battery.

Another thing, is that pack at 100% charge? BEC's need about 1-1.5 volts higher input than output, so if that battery is nearly dead and you're on the 7.4v setting it's very possible it's output voltage is now horribly unstable.
Old 03-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Here's a picture of mine, the fact it's in a diff tube and 4WS shouldn't change things.

Power to BEC direct from battery via 2mm bullets. Output red wires ONLY go between BEC and servo leads. White signal wires ONLY go between servo and RX. Additional ground wire tee's thru the servo adapter harness, but main ground is between servo/BEC/battery. It's powering a 20kg and 32kg servo with zero glitching, WP1080 esc and 3S battery.

Note the servo connectors with only the white/black wires would normally plug into the RX, but not here since there's an additional 4WS controller.

Bec\ubec .. Supposed to be simple. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what is the difference between a ubec and a bec? d_j_stockton Electronics 5 02-02-2013 07:28 AM
Don't buy the Integy UBEC BEC nandrewjackson Electronics 3 01-14-2011 03:25 PM
is my BEC supposed to look like this? Lolcanoe Electronics 15 03-25-2010 05:46 PM
Can i use UBEC BEC to power 2 servo? rcprojectz Electronics 0 06-08-2008 11:07 AM
Is this supposed to happen? CC BEC solomon7 Electronics 8 02-25-2008 10:45 AM