Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: custom motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2005, 04:16 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default custom motor

I was considering having custom motors done and was wondering how they should be built. How many winds single, double, triple and how many turns 30,40,50,60, etc.? Does the type of can or magnets matter? I can have my own made for half the price that lathe motors are going for
a_vdk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Search is your friend

winding a motor
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

i dunno how to do it.....but i saw a tutorial online a couple days ago about how to do it, it was on one of the crawler sites, so im sure that someone on here will know where it was. also, if u can get them made for half the price....u might could make some money.......
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:03 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

see, told ya, he beat me to it!
SlammedMini469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:45 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

I normally search Thanks for the remind. I read the whole post but I did not find the answer I was looking for. I am having someone make the motor for me and I need to let him know how many turns and winds with what can and magnets exactly. Has anyone found a successful custom motor configuration better than the 55T lathe motor. I will not be doing it myself so the tech part is of little concern.

Thanks!
Old 02-20-2005, 06:56 PM   #6
RCC Addict

We could help you better if you told us what the application is going to be for this motor. I assume a crawler. But which crawler? Which transmission? What gears are in the transmission? What pinion size? Do you have a gear reduction? What the ratio of the reduction? What ESC are you using? How many volts to you plan on running to this motor? One or 2 motors? How much wheelspeed are you looking to get out of this? How big of tires are you running? Which axles?

See, there are a lot of variables in choosing a motor. In the end, it's all up to you.

If I had to reccomend something on the spot, I would say 55t for low wheel speed and maybe 22t for higher wheel speed. Thats based off a 55t lathe motor which has very low RPM and decent torque (at 7.2V) or a 22t Magnetic Mayhem that has high RPM (for a crawler) and high torque. Runtimes will be better with a 55t opposed to a 22t.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 07:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
We could help you better if you told us what the application is going to be for this motor. I assume a crawler. But which crawler? Which transmission? What gears are in the transmission? What pinion size? Do you have a gear reduction? What the ratio of the reduction? What ESC are you using? How many volts to you plan on running to this motor? One or 2 motors? How much wheelspeed are you looking to get out of this? How big of tires are you running? Which axles?

See, there are a lot of variables in choosing a motor. In the end, it's all up to you.

If I had to reccomend something on the spot, I would say 55t for low wheel speed and maybe 22t for higher wheel speed. Thats based off a 55t lathe motor which has very low RPM and decent torque (at 7.2V) or a 22t Magnetic Mayhem that has high RPM (for a crawler) and high torque. Runtimes will be better with a 55t opposed to a 22t.
I will be running stock clod axle and gears locked, unless otherwize recommended. I will be using the TCS/stick chassis, 9t pinion gears or 9t front/8t rear, giant trac tires with alloy clod wheels without modification. I will be running 2 motors with a 2500 11.1v custom lipo (to fit TCS tray), SR esc, and 200 oz. airtronics servo's. I can change anything that would improve the crawler from a competition standpoint.

Thanks for the reply

Last edited by a_vdk; 02-20-2005 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:14 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

if you are truly going custom, get these magnets....

m3005 http://engconcepts.net/List_Of_Motor_Magnets.asp

it takes 22 m3005 magnets to ring a standard 540 can. you want to create a 4 magnetic pole can with 20 magnets, in four groups of 5. i havent built one yet, so i cant tell you the windage to go with the motor. im guessing the magnetic strength will force you to wind as low as 15 to 20 single for decent amp draw, but KILLER torque and high efficiency.

make sure your armature is undamaged and insulated all the way around.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote