RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Spektrum DX5 Rugged (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/604409-spektrum-dx5-rugged.html)

Xx Losungen xX 07-31-2020 10:39 AM

Re: Spektrum DX5 Rugged

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheTrail (Post 6037533)
How did you update the touch pad? Bought a later version of the black one or sent back to Horizon for an update?

They should offer some fix for this, it's clearly been a defect since day one.

meatmonkey 09-22-2020 09:18 AM

So the power switch just broke off inside the radio of my Rugid. It felt kinda funky for a couple weeks. It's about 4 monthes out of warranty. Anyone had this issue or have any hints on successful surgery? I'm going to open it up and see if I can't fixer it up. Its mated to 10 of my most popular trucks, so the time it takes to program is just as annoying as the cost of a replacement radio.

I can't help but find the irony that this is the "rugid" version and the lanyard loop ripped open on day two, most of the rubber trim pieces have come undone, the stickers are peeling off, and now the switch issue. In hindsight I'm not seeing how this radio is a better choice than a regular dx5. Oh, and having a waterproof radio come with a non-waterproofed reciever is just wrong.

Kingmeow 09-22-2020 10:31 AM

Open it up and check the complexity and see if you can do it yourself.

Worse case scenario you send it in to Horizon Hobby to get it fix but you'll be without your Tx for a week or two. They will fix it for free even though it's out of warranty. They'll just charge you for the parts and return shipping ($12.50, last time it happened to me). I sent my 5 year old airplane Tx for a broken antenna tube and a busted trim switch.

JSterrett 09-22-2020 10:58 AM

I got mine right when they came out and have had 0 issues with it. Recently picked up a Futaba 4PM and one of the switches broke off this weekend, which was the first time it ever left my house...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Clemsoncrawler 10-04-2020 07:33 AM

I just programmed my dx5 rugged yesterday. Have ch 2 for my 2 speed on push button g. Works great. But trying while trying to get my winch programed to B in 3 position, I accidentally made it L, and I can’t change it now, and find even know where L is. My first radio and rc in almost a decade so thanks for any help!

Damion10 10-05-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clemsoncrawler (Post 6047191)
I just programmed my dx5 rugged yesterday. Have ch 2 for my 2 speed on push button g. Works great. But trying while trying to get my winch programed to B in 3 position, I accidentally made it L, and I can’t change it now, and find even know where L is. My first radio and rc in almost a decade so thanks for any help!

Select the aux you want it to use then in the place that you select the switch, push the switch you want to use on that channel. If that switch isn't being used by anything else it'll set it .

Hope that makes sense to you

Clemsoncrawler 10-05-2020 03:59 PM

Awesome. Thank ya. I’ll get er right when I get back home front tha road👍

meatmonkey 10-11-2020 07:15 AM

So I opened up my Rugid. No magic inside. Just take out the screws and CAREFULLY spread the upper section around the screen. The screen is glued to the case halves, but if your gentle it'll peel away without damaging anything.
Found a small screw that fell out upon splitting the case halves. It holds the on/off button in place and has a little spring. Put switch and spring back in place, reinstall screw and we're back in business.

Also took the time to fully seat the baby bumper trim work that was falling out. Judging by the witness Mark's on the tabs they were never fully seated at the factory.

cliffdawg 01-12-2021 07:45 PM

Anyone have an suggestions to my mytrick dragon to work from the dx5? I have all the plugs in place, and I have it setup on aux1 for light control, assigned to the g switch, but nothing happens when I trigger the g button. Thanks in advance.

Damion10 01-13-2021 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cliffdawg (Post 6062928)
Anyone have an suggestions to my mytrick dragon to work from the dx5? I have all the plugs in place, and I have it setup on aux1 for light control, assigned to the g switch, but nothing happens when I trigger the g button. Thanks in advance.

I don't have a dragon light controller, but does it need a momentary or switched signal?? something to check.

Lashlee 01-14-2021 06:42 AM

I have multiple dragon controllers off my DX5C, one thing to note, is you need to deselect the original function of that button (I think G is the Timer button). Once it's turned off you can go into the Aux Assign menu and assign G to be the button to use. Once you activate it, you'll have to select inhibit on the correct button mode.

Nelanzor 01-20-2021 02:54 AM

Got the rugged green edition.
Can set AUX as expected, but is there any way to set the AUX as 3 position?
Cannot find how to do this, and my winch expects a 3 position AUX channel instead of the standard 2 position...

Damion10 01-21-2021 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelanzor (Post 6064098)
Got the rugged green edition.
Can set AUX as expected, but is there any way to set the AUX as 3 position?
Cannot find how to do this, and my winch expects a 3 position AUX channel instead of the standard 2 position...

You can choose between momentary, 2 position, and 3 position on most aux channels, its in your aux assign at the bottom, that will tell you what type its currently set on. select that and you can switch between them

Voodoobrew 01-21-2021 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damion10 (Post 6064416)
You can choose between momentary, 2 position, and 3 position on most aux channels, its in your aux assign at the bottom, that will tell you what type its currently set on. select that and you can switch between them

The button assignment sometims doesn't allow 3 position. No need move to a different aux ch. on the reciever. Just assign it to a different letter and try again if 3 way isnt available.

Just clarifying.

air8 01-31-2021 12:31 AM

Getting back into the hobby. Want to get an updated radio & reciever for my 2nd crawler. That way new comers can roll along too.

Anyway I'd like to get the Green transmitter but can't find the combo of TX & RX. I only find the grey/black radio offers the combo.
Is that accurate?..Or am I overseeing the combo with green radio?

MizuNoLorien 01-31-2021 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by air8 (Post 6066270)
Getting back into the hobby. Want to get an updated radio & reciever for my 2nd crawler. That way new comers can roll along too.

Anyway I'd like to get the Green transmitter but can't find the combo of TX & RX. I only find the grey/black radio offers the combo.
Is that accurate?..Or am I overseeing the combo with green radio?

I don’t think there’s a combo version of the colored ones. I just bought a black one, and I made sure that it had the updated touchpad by emailing horizon about it.

No-Idea113 01-31-2021 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizuNoLorien (Post 6066274)
I don’t think there’s a combo version of the colored ones. I just bought a black one, and I made sure that it had the updated touchpad by emailing horizon about it.

I found the same. I ended up just getting them separately vs the combo rather than risk not getting the updated one and instead getting old stock.

Was there a specific SKU you used?

Radio is great and the thumbwheel I thought would be silly is actually pretty neat.

air8 01-31-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No-Idea113 (Post 6066281)
I found the same. I ended up just getting them separately vs the combo rather than risk not getting the updated one and instead getting old stock.

Radio is great and the thumbwheel I thought would be silly is actually pretty neat.

People in videos mention the Rugged, and after a while I decided to check it out. After reading up on it I feel pretty interested. But the SKU in this link is SPMR5200G.
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...odId=SPMR5200G

air8 01-31-2021 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizuNoLorien (Post 6066274)

I noticed there was an updated touch screen version. I might have to make a shield fot that touch screen...young drivers fiddle around 100 times a minute trying to keep hold of radios. I'm predicting they would change a bunch of setting and not even realize it.
I'm kinda bummed none of the manufacturers have molded a TX for small hands like ages 3-8.
I'll just have to see how it goes.

MizuNoLorien 01-31-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No-Idea113 (Post 6066281)

I don’t think they changed the sku, mine was 5200 like the original combo. They just updated the touchscreen. There’s new combo, not with the 515 receiver but with the avc one that is more recent, but unavailable in the EU yet.

No-Idea113 01-31-2021 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizuNoLorien (Post 6066294)
I don’t think they changed the sku, mine was 5200 like the original combo. They just updated the touchscreen. There’s new combo, not with the 515 receiver but with the avc one that is more recent, but unavailable in the EU yet.

Ahh, would have been nice if they used a new SKU.

I ended up just buying the receiver and transmitter separate, it was the one linked above. Looking at picking up another and was curious.

Nelanzor 02-03-2021 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damion10 (Post 6064416)

Been trying this, could not get it to work and contacted Spektrum.
It appears my radio came with a firmware version with a bug in it.
That bug blocks the option change anything in the aux assign after assigning a button to the specified channel.
So I will need to buy an updater cable first.
Every time I want to change the aux settings after having assigned a button I need to completely reset the model first, not a nice "workaround"....

computernut 02-03-2021 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nelanzor (Post 6066780)
Been trying this, could not get it to work and contacted Spektrum.
It appears my radio came with a firmware version with a bug in it.
That bug blocks the option change anything in the aux assign after assigning a button to the specified channel.
So I will need to buy an updater cable first.
Every time I want to change the aux settings after having assigned a button I need to completely reset the model first, not a nice "workaround"....

After a firmware update on my DX5 Pro (using an SD card) to fix a problem, I saw the value in getting the USB cable adapter so I can update my DX5 Rugged. Just waiting for it to arrive.

Nelanzor 02-04-2021 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by computernut (Post 6066863)
After a firmware update on my DX5 Pro (using an SD card) to fix a problem, I saw the value in getting the USB cable adapter so I can update my DX5 Rugged. Just waiting for it to arrive.

I need new receivers for most of my cars first, quite a costly solution :ror:
Got everything sorted on it for now, took a lot of time as I needed to reset the model a few times, but it works.
When everything has a new receiver I will buy the updater cable.

freakaccident 02-11-2021 03:23 PM

They should just give us all refunds on these junk boxes. The touch scroll thing is the most frustrating thing I have ever had to to deal with. I am on the latest software and watched their pampering video on how to use it as well. It's junk.
It should never have been approved for manufacturing. Probably some CEO pushing the people below to meet deadlines and then we end up with crap.

JSterrett 02-12-2021 02:06 AM

I got one at release and haven't had any issues yet. Touch pad took a minute to get used to but it's fine now. It's taken some pretty good shots too (drops, falling with it in my hand, etc). Almost went Futaba for minute because I got my hands on a 4PM, but one of the switches broke off when it got bumped while sitting on the seat of my truck...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

svt923 02-12-2021 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSterrett (Post 6068425)
I got one at release and haven't had any issues yet. Touch pad took a minute to get used to but it's fine now.

Same here, got mine immediately after they were released and there have been zero issues. I have Spektrum, Futaba, Sanwa, Radiolink, and Flysky controllers and the Rugged is a close second to the 4PV as my favorite.

No-Idea113 02-18-2021 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by svt923 (Post 5891999)
Spektrum had a live feed to answer some questions on the radio. Some of the key points:

- No backlight on the display
- The wheel with the thumb lever will fit on their other radios and will be available separately
- Spektrum will have files available for 3D printing accessories to go on the front rail

- Power is AAs only.

I, for one, will throw the warranty in the trash immediately in order to cram as big of a LiFe battery as possible in my radio. All my radios have been switched to lithium batteries and I am not going back to AAs.

I know this was awhile ago... but did either of the 2 bolded ones come true?
I'm not seeing the wheel with lever or any files for accessories available on the Spektrum site.

Viper6 03-01-2021 04:58 AM

I could not get use to the DX5 Rugged interface. The interface was too sensitive. Sent it back to Horizon for the newer interface and had the same problem. Ended up swapping the thumb lever and wheel over to the DX5C. The DX5C is much easier to program. Solid button interface. Ended up selling the DX5 Rugged.

twentyniner 03-01-2021 11:16 AM

I have one with the updated touch pad and haven’t had any problems with that. However, there are other things about it I don’t really like. For one, the steering wheel and thumb lever is too far away from the pistol grip to be very useful for me personally. I also think the lcd screen is hard to read and could use a backlight. Adjusting the contrast doesn’t really help. Plus, the batteries are super hard to remove from the tray. Not sure if they did that on purpose to keep them in during a tumble, (its rugged!) but it’s a pain. For the price I paid, I’m not thrilled with it.

UZI4U 08-03-2021 10:06 AM

Anybody have the Rugged Steering wheel that they would sell?

haiso 12-02-2021 12:44 PM

Hy.. where I can find in the menu 5 driving modes for one car actually drived ? 8)