Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Servo help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #1

Default Servo help

Okay, finally got my savox 2290 mounted on my savage flux and my bec running 7.5 volts to the servo. Now the first jump I landed stripped the plastic gear that's surrounded by a metal piece right on the piece that connects directly to the servo gear.

Are there any recommendations as to which (I'll call it an arm) arm to buy?
scottyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2018, 04:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Servo help

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyscott View Post
Okay, finally got my savox 2290 mounted on my savage flux and my bec running 7.5 volts to the servo. Now the first jump I landed stripped the plastic gear that's surrounded by a metal piece right on the piece that connects directly to the servo gear.

Are there any recommendations as to which (I'll call it an arm) arm to buy?
I assume you mean servo horn? These: https://www.amainhobbies.com/servo-h...QaAlqPEALw_wcB
I would just look for one thats metal since the plastic one didnt hold up. They come in different lengths and made for different spline counts (where it mounts to the servo) for Savox you'll need a 25T spline.
Find the stock horn and use it to get your measurements, you'll be measuring from hole center to hole center.

You can also find clamping style servo horns if you wanted it to be as secure as possible.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 12-10-2018 at 04:42 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:01 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Vanquish ones are pretty good and are not crazy expensive.

Just be sure to order the corect tooth count.

The noname ones I bought off Amazon were junk, so I stick to nicer ones now.

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 12-10-2018 at 05:03 PM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I assume you mean servo horn? These: https://www.amainhobbies.com/servo-h...QaAlqPEALw_wcB
I would just look for one thats metal since the plastic one didnt hold up. They come in different lengths and made for different spline counts (where it mounts to the servo) for Savox you'll need a 25T spline.
Find the stock horn and use it to get your measurements, you'll be measuring from hole center to hole center.

You can also find clamping style servo horns if you wanted it to be as secure as possible.
Thanks for the link and the explanation! Couldn't ask for much more. Appreciate it
Old 12-10-2018, 06:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
Vanquish ones are pretty good and are not crazy expensive.

Just be sure to order the corect tooth count.

The noname ones I bought off Amazon were junk, so I stick to nicer ones now.
You guys are great on this site. Thanks for all the help. Glad you guys replied because I was going to look on Amazon for one
Old 02-01-2019, 06:17 AM   #6

We manufacture metal arms to fit our servos (and others with a 25T spline like the Savox in question) because there is a time and place for them. And no offense to those who use always an aluminum arm on their rigs, but for most folks I recommend against using a metal arm if possible. Why? It's because our HD plastic arms will survive the usual, but will break when something bad happens.

Is it a pain in the hind end to have to stop everything and replace it when it breaks? Well sure! But that $0.99 plastic servo arm just acted like a fuse and saved your $100 servo.

Folks, you have to pick your battles and unless you're made of money you need to consider how nothing is unbreakable. And that an inexpensive part that's easy to replace is called a sacrificial part for a reason. Anyway, if you're interested, these HD plastic arms are a buck each and bags of 5, 25, and 100 can bring your replacement cost way below that.

https://www.promodeler.com/PDRS101

My 2¢

Last edited by jbeech; 02-01-2019 at 06:25 AM.
jbeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 11:09 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The only time a servo has been broken in one of my crawlers is when brushless, 2 speeds and stupidity were involved (basically hitting something). Your average crawler simply doesnt go fast enough to break a strong servo, it will however burn up a weak servo.

I much prefer to have a metal horn and simply rebuild the servo if needed, rebuild kits can typically be had for around $15 from most manufactures. After all a servo isn't junk if a rebuild kit is made available.

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 02-04-2019 at 08:57 AM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote

Servo help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C.I. - Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount - Annoucement Nova's Ark Crawler Innovations 10 05-07-2015 01:25 PM
***Crawler Innovations Engraved Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 106 10-20-2013 02:16 AM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 228 07-12-2011 01:17 PM
***Crawler Innovations Servo Guard-Servo Clamp-Servo Mount GIVEAWAY*** Nova's Ark General Crawlers 266 04-01-2011 02:18 PM
Crawler Innovations Servo Guard - Servo Clamp - Servo Mount GIVEAWAY!!! Nova's Ark General Crawlers 219 10-18-2010 12:43 PM