Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Is it possible?... 5 position rear steer with DX5 Rugged.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2021, 09:49 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Is it possible?... 5 position rear steer with DX5 Rugged.

I'm planning to dabble in rear steer with a gspeed build I just started. I don't want to control the rear steer with the wheel. I like the 5 position rear steer that the new capra has. I can only find a 3 position option on my DX5 Rugged. Has anyone done this? Thanks!
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2021, 10:10 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is it possible?... 5 position rear steer with DX5 Rugged.

You should be able to program the switch of your choice in linier and make the value # of steps 5...

I have not actually tried this.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 10:34 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
You should be able to program the switch of your choice in linier and make the value # of steps 5...

I have not actually tried this.
Oh, okay. I don't know how the linear setting even works. I've set up digs with the 3 position option, but I haven't looked any deeper into how the auxiliary controls work.

Youtube is no help.

Last edited by DRED805; 12-11-2021 at 10:58 PM.
DRED805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I'm be honest...personally (and, I know I'm not the only one), I don't care for the 4WS Capra rear steering configuration. I understand, and agree, that it "simplifies" the rear steering, which makes it perfect for beginners. At the same time, while I like the "rear steering modes" type of setup (front-only, rear-only, opposite, and 'crab'), one doesn't always want it 100% identical (steering radius-wise) to the front. That's why, for the new 4WS rig I've been building, my plan is to have 100% independent rear steering, controlled by a dial on my Tx.

I realize this doesn't answer your question...but, for others reading this thread, who might be interested in a more "realistic" 4WS configuration, and not even knowing if such is possible, they will now know it's not only possible, but will also have some hints on how to do it.

As for your question...and, so that I can actually help you achieve your goal...you don't need a 5-position switch (if there are even any Txs work such a thing). Instead, program one of the Trimmer Buttons/Switches to operate Ch3 (or whatever channel type rear steering servo is on. With the DX5 Rigged, you should be able to (as I am on my Futaba 7PX) to set the chosen button/switch to a 50-step increment, thus showing you to toggle the same percentages as the 4WS Capra. Even better, you could set it to a 25-step increment (if the DX5 Rugged can do this), which would give you (from left-to-right) 100% left, 75% left, 50% left, 25% left, center, 25% right, 50% right, 75% right, & 100% right (ie. instead of "5-step" rear steering, you'd end up with a 9-step configuration...ag as in, of the DX5 Rugged provides such level of programming settings). I don't know if you'll actually be able to...but, it's worth a shot, right?

~ More peace, love, and kindness would make the world a much better place
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 03:51 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Interested in this thread, more for future reference than anything.....
Damion10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 12:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

You can generally set this up one of two ways.
• The more complicated, but more functional way is to to set up 4WS mixing in the radio, and assign a slave channel for the rear axle servo. This allows you to set up rear steering in conjunction with your normal steering, and use a switch to control the mode of the steering: front, back, both the same direction, or opposite direction.
• The second way is to just assign an aux channel to the rear axle servo, and manually control the steering with an aux switch. The easiest way to do this is going simple at first by selecting 3-position mode. This will allow you to get the feel of 4WS, without it being terribly complicated. Once you get used to it, then make adjustments. Linear mode also works for this, but it is more of a pain to control because you having to manually steer the back axle were you want it through an aux switch, then manually move the axle back to center.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:47 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Following.

I am set up for rear with a DX5 rugged. I use 3 position switch. Works great but having options is usually better.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #8
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Just FYI the DX5 Pro has 4WS anytime switchable functionality between front only, rear only, 4ws or 4w crab.

Alternatively it can be program mixed with another channel.

Last edited by Ots; 12-20-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Ots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 06:52 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ots View Post
Just FYI the DX5 Pro has 4WS anytime switchable functionality between front only, rear only, 4ws or 4w crab.

Alternatively it can be program mixed with another channel.
The DX5 also has settings for this but it is such a PIA working with the screen on a DX5.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:13 AM   #10
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
The DX5 also has settings for this but it is such a PIA working with the screen on a DX5.
Yeah, it takes a bit of patience.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:18 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, it takes a bit of patience.
Normally, "patience is a virtue". However, from all over read about the DX5, patience becomes best thrown out the window. Glad I have my 7PX & Noble NB4.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther6834 View Post
Normally, "patience is a virtue". However, from all over read about the DX5, patience becomes best thrown out the window. Glad I have my 7PX & Noble NB4.

Exactly, it isn't about patience it is about usability. The screen setup on the DX5 makes this feature unusable in a comp setting were speed is an issue. Mine is setup on a 3 position switch. Had I known what I know now I would have never bought a Spectrum DX5. There are better options if you want a controller for a 4ws setup.
Old 12-21-2021, 09:34 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOguy View Post
Exactly, it isn't about patience it is about usability. The screen setup on the DX5 makes this feature unusable in a comp setting were speed is an issue. Mine is setup on a 3 position switch. Had I known what I know now I would have never bought a Spectrum DX5. There are better options if you want a controller for a 4ws setup.
From personal experience, Spektrum makes great aerial Tx, but their surface Tx I avoid.

Old 12-21-2021, 08:15 PM   #14
Ots
Quarry Creeper

I guess due to my many years with Spektrum and JR air Txers the DX5 Pro doesn't seem too bad to me.

So looking at what's on the market today (don't care about yesteryear!) what would be preferable to buy?
Old 12-22-2021, 06:16 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I guess due to my many years with Spektrum and JR air Txers the DX5 Pro doesn't seem too bad to me.

So looking at what's on the market today (don't care about yesteryear!) what would be preferable to buy?
The DX5 works for most things very well. I have an MOA with dig and it works fantastic for that. If it can run with a switch the DX5 is great. It is trying to deal with the screen and the controls changing things like the rear steer feature WHILE you drive that is difficult.

Sorry I can't help you make a good choice. I wish I new more about the various models.

I heard somebody at a recent comp talk about a controller t hat had to steering wheels. I wish I had paid attention.

My rear steer is on a switch, center, full right or full left. There are many times I would like to turn a rear tire just a little to maybe help catch a tire lug on the side of a rock without really changing the direction of where I am going. That is just to difficult to do with the DX5s.

Last edited by MOguy; 12-22-2021 at 06:28 AM.
Old 12-22-2021, 09:29 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

HOLD ON, FOUND SOMETHING!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zahknLJ7w0
Old 12-22-2021, 10:56 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

I don't have any problems with spektrum remotes, but that's all I buy. But I also don't have any issues with windows or an android phone. Put me on a Mac or an Iphone and I'm lost ..

Once you learn it I don't think They are bad at all. I do much prefer the pro to the dx5c as the dx5c and rugged remotes have pretty limited features.

For the most part I just read the instructions and they make sense.

But words between spektrum and other brands don't seem to have the same meaning iirc.

I am sure there are also cheaper remotes that can do more.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Voodoobrew; 12-22-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 11:05 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
I don't have any problems with spektrum remotes, but that's all I buy. But I also don't have any issues with windows or an android phone. Put me on a Mac or an Iphone and I'm lost ..

Once you learn it I don't think They are bad at all. I do much prefer the pro to the dx5c as the dx5c and rugged remotes have pretty limited features.

For the most part I just read the instructions and they make sense.

But words between spektrum and other brands don't seem to have the same meaning iirc.

I am sure there are also cheaper remotes that can do more.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
As far as performance and reliability the Spektrums I have had have always been excellent. The Rugged is just a PIA to move through the screen and it is a battery hog. It get easier the more you use it.

I am going to try and set it up like in the video with the clicks. The mixing setup just seems confusing, not to set it up but to operate it. When you click through the options I doesn't indicate what mode you are in until you try it. With the 3 position switch you will know what will happen before you hit the switch.

Last edited by MOguy; 12-22-2021 at 11:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #19
Ots
Quarry Creeper

Unlike the video I used "Mixing." I have set switch "E" to front wheel steer as default position 0 on power up. Push "E" to pos 1 for 4WS (with plenty of expo), again to pos 2 for crab and again to pos 3 for rear wheel steer, all on-the-fly. Can't 'jump' positions - have to toggle 0-1-2-3-2-1-0. But switch "E" is easily touched while hands are in normal driving position and no need to access the menu or screen or even look at the controller.

Instead of 'steps' like the video the steering is continuous (like normal) in all four modes.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Unlike the video I used "Mixing." I have set switch "E" to front wheel steer as default position 0 on power up. Push "E" to pos 1 for 4WS (with plenty of expo), again to pos 2 for crab and again to pos 3 for rear wheel steer, all on-the-fly. Can't 'jump' positions - have to toggle 0-1-2-3-2-1-0. But switch "E" is easily touched while hands are in normal driving position and no need to access the menu or screen or even look at the controller.

Instead of 'steps' like the video the steering is continuous (like normal) in all four modes.
I use which ever 3 position switch is bottom and forward. I have regular 3 position set now but will change to the incremental.

I have a powerful servo on 4s and it moves fast and hard. I have turned down the rear in my controller though. Even then it can screw you up if you aren't careful.

I am okay with that but I don't think I could keep the patterns straight in my head using the mixing option.

Is it possible?... 5 position rear steer with DX5 Rugged. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spektrum DX5 Rugged JatoTheRipper Electronics 271 12-02-2021 12:44 PM
Dx5 rugged issues SuperDutyScaler Electronics 3 09-13-2021 06:22 AM