Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX5 Rugged and Mamba X telemetry possible?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #1

Question DX5 Rugged and Mamba X telemetry possible?

Please forgive me if this has been answered but a did a search and found nothing useful going back to 2017...

The question is simple, has anyone done or can confirm that the Spektrum DX5 Rugged radio can link up with the Mamba X for telemetry data? I was on the phone with a Jason from Castle that wasn't sure if it would work since their telemetry stuff with Spektrum is used on airplane radios and not surface ones. I was on hold with Horizon for over 45 minutes never got a hold of anyone.

I overheated a motor yesterday and think the real-time data would be useful.

Danke!
Red Eye R/C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2020, 08:38 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: DX5 Rugged and Mamba X telemetry possible?

I'm sorry I cant answer your question but I can say that there are two simple ways to avoid this in the future.

Check motor temps with a temp gun after changing motors and or gearing

Or on the cheap you can use your finger, you should be able to hold your finger on the motor without getting burned, its too hot if you cant.

Beyond that I would check your rig to see if there is any binding in the drivetrain (dont forget to check wheels too). Any binding can overheat a motor.

Oh and just to jump back to the original question a bit telemetry is pretty much unused in crawling, it would be a total novelty. Also cant temps be checked in the data log after you're done?

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 06-03-2020 at 08:43 PM.
HumboldtEF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 10:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumboldtEF View Post
I'm sorry I cant answer your question but I can say that there are two simple ways to avoid this in the future.

Check motor temps with a temp gun after changing motors and or gearing

Or on the cheap you can use your finger, you should be able to hold your finger on the motor without getting burned, its too hot if you cant.

Beyond that I would check your rig to see if there is any binding in the drivetrain (dont forget to check wheels too). Any binding can overheat a motor.

Oh and just to jump back to the original question a bit telemetry is pretty much unused in crawling, it would be a total novelty. Also cant temps be checked in the data log after you're done?
Funny you should mention a temp gun, we had just purchased one at the hobby store and never even thought to bring it out at the park.

I understand not many people use it for crawling but having experienced heating issues and having the radio and ESC with that capability I'd like to try it out.

And yes I could do data logging on the ESC but to me that's useless on the trail. Jason did say I could set a temp cutoff with the sensored brushless motor but not with a brushed one I believe.

Once I have enough courage I'll dive into the drivetrain, I really believe the dude that I purchased this kit off of had a heavy hand or powertool when assembling the kit and probably overtightened stuff in the drivetrain as well.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:01 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I believe you would need

- 6100AT telemetry receiver
- SPMA9571 temp sensor

You might be able to get the TM1500 telemetry module to work with the receiver that comes with the dx5 rugged but out of the box, it's not telemetry capable.

As suggested though, the temp gun you already have is all you really need.

Telemetry will just confirm what you already know, gearing is wrong and/or binding etc. Once you fix it, you won't need temp sensor anymore.
Xx Losungen xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx Losungen xX View Post
I believe you would need

- 6100AT telemetry receiver
- SPMA9571 temp sensor

You might be able to get the TM1500 telemetry module to work with the receiver that comes with the dx5 rugged but out of the box, it's not telemetry capable.

As suggested though, the temp gun you already have is all you really need.

Telemetry will just confirm what you already know, gearing is wrong and/or binding etc. Once you fix it, you won't need temp sensor anymore.
Fantastic! A temp sensor that would be EXACTLY just what I need! I'm going to purchase the new(er) green version DX5 Rugged without a receiver so I already had my eye on the 6100AT it was just what would do it for temp. Thank you, thank you, thank you! going to see if I can get a hold of someone at Horizon to confirm these units.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Our Telemetry Link will not work with that radio. The SR6000T receiver that works with it has specific ports for each sensor rather than using the open X-Bus standard that we are able to interface with.
robert@castle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert@castle View Post
Our Telemetry Link will not work with that radio. The SR6000T receiver that works with it has specific ports for each sensor rather than using the open X-Bus standard that we are able to interface with.
Thanks for confirming what Jason told me over the phone. I was able to confirm temp monitoring with Horizon for the above Spektrum products. I bought another style of temp sensor so fingers crossed I can monitor it through that setup.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:39 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You can buy a spectrum temp sensor.
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodID=SPMA9571
Will cost you 10 clams, depending on where you live, they may not take clams.
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoobrew View Post
You can buy a spectrum temp sensor.
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodID=SPMA9571
Will cost you 10 clams, depending on where you live, they may not take clams.
Haha, clams... I'd need to live near water. I'd have more luck in paying with bucks.

The hobby shop only had this one in stock: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdID=SPM1450

They look very similar but do have different connections so I'm hoping they play nice together if not I'd have to grab the current model.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-2020, 10:15 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Eye R/C View Post
Haha, clams... I'd need to live near water. I'd have more luck in paying with bucks.

The hobby shop only had this one in stock: https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...ProdID=SPM1450

They look very similar but do have different connections so I'm hoping they play nice together if not I'd have to grab the current model.

That is for a nitro engine.

Might not work for you, I'd bet it's sensitive to a completely different range of temperatures.

That one is designed to wrap around the head of a nitro engine, sitting between the fins.
Old 06-05-2020, 11:24 AM   #11

Quote:
That is for a nitro engine.

Might not work for you, I'd bet it's sensitive to a completely different range of temperatures.

That one is designed to wrap around the head of a nitro engine, sitting between the fins.
Errr, wish they listed that info... how did you tell?
Old 06-05-2020, 11:54 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Electric motors don't have heads, nitro engines do.

It might work for ya, I'm just pretty sure that heads get a lot hotter then electric motors can. If that changes the sensor, I'm not sure.
Old 06-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Electric motors don't have heads, nitro engines do.

It might work for ya, I'm just pretty sure that heads get a lot hotter then electric motors can. If that changes the sensor, I'm not sure.
The one you quoted before is also for gas and nitro I just saw that. Welp guess I'm the test subject we'll see once I get the parts and install them. 🤞
Old 06-07-2020, 04:33 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Crap, SPM1451 is the one, sorry man!

I see that one is discontinued though
Old 06-07-2020, 10:35 AM   #15

No worries, they actually have that one in stock as well so I just ordered it along with a LED mount that I needed.

So I will test both and report back here what I find out, not fun being the guinea pig on this experiment but hopefully it will work and be useful to the next person that wants to try it out.

DX5 Rugged and Mamba X telemetry possible? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spektrum DX5 Rugged JatoTheRipper Electronics 271 12-02-2021 12:44 PM
DX5 Rugged Issue coltonjdavis Electronics 7 07-23-2020 12:28 AM