Notices

Thread: Reefs servo junk!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Reefs servo junk!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I'd guess his specialty is marketing and how to outsource cheap manufacturing that looks pretty...
He did an interview on bookface and straight up said he has an import business and he had people asking why he didn't do rc parts since he was already playing with toy trucks anyway. He used his contacts in china to get the ball rolling and here we are.

The gears are aluminum and cheap aluminum at that.

He did another interview at proline by the fire last summer announcing the triple 9 servo. 999 oz at 7.4v and 1600 oz at 8.4v. Yeaaaaaaa
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2019, 01:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
He did an interview on bookface and straight up said he has an import business and he had people asking why he didn't do rc parts since he was already playing with toy trucks anyway. He used his contacts in china to get the ball rolling and here we are.

The gears are aluminum and cheap aluminum at that.

He did another interview at proline by the fire last summer announcing the triple 9 servo. 999 oz at 7.4v and 1600 oz at 8.4v. Yeaaaaaaa
I'm guessing his servos are being sold under other brands. When China makes something they sell it to as many resellers as possible.

Yeah sure is right. I wonder if his current servos even put out what they claim...doubtful.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 01:49 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Ill stick to Hitec. Ive warrantied servos through both hitec and reefs and the process via hitec was smooth without issue. I had to have phone calls, upload videos and the whole process soured me on the reefs brand. I have a new 555 that is sitting on the bench if anyone wants to trade it for a similar spec hitec

I did go with the futaba A700 on the Capra when I discovered the 7954 was discontinued. To be determined. Specs look great though
odomandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #24

The owner of reefs did a podcast with bigsquid rc and it seemed like they knew more than him which is saying something. I'll stick with Savox or Xpert. Has anyone found if the Reefs is a clone of another servo (I.E JX) or if it is an original design?
Bash&slash09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrc View Post
Servos have to be the most contentious thing to do with crawlers. For every person that says a Reefs, Savox, G13, Hitec, Protek, Futaba etc is good, there's 5 people that say they're crap. That's why I'm sticking with the cheap ones off Ali Express for now

The only one I'll drop some coin on now will be the HH V3 when it's released

I have had the same promodeler for 4 years now, 4 recon G6's one 12hr fix enduro and lots of trail time. Yes I have replaced gear sets in it when it gets sloppy, but that is maintenance not a failure.

But yes to what your said. I think the biggest issue with recommendations is most people don't put all that much time in, so they don't have real good observations, just an impression.

I tell my friends/trailing buddies who I recommend promodelers to if they don't like it I'll buy it from them. No ones taking me up on it.
Poconoscale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 02:55 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash&slash09 View Post
The owner of reefs did a podcast with bigsquid rc and it seemed like they knew more than him which is saying something. I'll stick with Savox or Xpert. Has anyone found if the Reefs is a clone of another servo (I.E JX) or if it is an original design?

https://m.alibaba.com/product/606018...specifications
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Good find!

For you non-mobile users...

https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...71e314c5Z5h2mz
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #28
RCC Addict

I only buy servos with steel gears either hitec or Savox. I've stripped titanium in the past, and aluminum is too soft.

You buy quality, you cry once. You don't, you cry twice

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
MaX-D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 04:16 PM   #29

Good catch white trash. I looked pretty hard to see if they were clones but could not find anything. Might have to buy one or two just to annoy the reef's fanboys.
Old 12-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poconoscale View Post
I have had the same promodeler for 4 years now, 4 recon G6's one 12hr fix enduro and lots of trail time. Yes I have replaced gear sets in it when it gets sloppy, but that is maintenance not a failure.

But yes to what your said. I think the biggest issue with recommendations is most people don't put all that much time in, so they don't have real good observations, just an impression.

I tell my friends/trailing buddies who I recommend promodelers to if they don't like it I'll buy it from them. No ones taking me up on it.
I wouldn't call replacing gears maintenance. If you have to replace your ProModeler gears as part of a maintenance routine that's kinda troubling.

Quote:
Nice fine! The case is the same, but it doesn't necessarily mean that the internals are. I wouldn't be shocked if they were though.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:47 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Well this doesn't look good on Reefs part.
I sent the email, pics and video of the servo and all the other info that they wanted for a possible warranty replacement. That was Sunday evening. 2 days and still no response.

Last edited by cul8tr; 12-18-2019 at 04:08 AM.
cul8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:58 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Might have to buy one or two just to annoy the reef's fanboys.
Why stop there?

Start your own servo business, call it Reep's RC, name the servos the 445 and 556, sell them for $20 less than Reef's servos, then wait for the adoration from FB morons to roll in.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I wouldn't call replacing gears maintenance. If you have to replace your ProModeler gears as part of a maintenance routine that's kinda troubling.
Mechanical gears can definitely be a wear item in a servo that's used extensively. Breaking them is one thing, but wearing them out is another. If you use a servo enough to wear out steel gears, kudos to you!
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:44 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Why stop there?

Start your own servo business, call it Reep's RC, name the servos the 445 and 556, sell them for $20 less than Reef's servos, then wait for the adoration from FB morons to roll in.
Today's best summary brought to you by the letters s, v and t and the numbers 9, 2 and 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Mechanical gears can definitely be a wear item in a servo that's used extensively. Breaking them is one thing, but wearing them out is another. If you use a servo enough to wear out steel gears, kudos to you!
Obviously, gears can wear out in applications with lots of use, but frequent gear replacement means you have shitty gears, poor lubrication, or other issues that are ruining your gears.

In this case I was specifically talking about gears in a servo. Gears in a servo aren't spinning thousands of RPM's and if you wear them out over the course of many years I can see that. Wearing them out in 4 years seems like a short life. But some people use their rigs more than I do and also use them harder than I do.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Why stop there?

LOL. Interestingly reefs claim that they use a generic case with gears that they make separately. I'm 100% positive that is BS. Someone should get a k-power one to compare with a triple 4.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:01 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
LOL. Interestingly reefs claim that they use a generic case with gears that they make separately. I'm 100% positive that is BS. Someone should get a k-power one to compare with a triple 4.
I'd grab that K-Power right now for this comparison but they haven't hit AliExpress yet and the seller on AliBaba has a 5pc min order - I'm not prepared to dump $300 into this right now but I'm tempted...
QuesoDelDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 10:12 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Today's best summary brought to you by the letters s, v and t and the numbers 9, 2 and 3.

Obviously, gears can wear out in applications with lots of use, but frequent gear replacement means you have shitty gears, poor lubrication, or other issues that are ruining your gears.

In this case I was specifically talking about gears in a servo. Gears in a servo aren't spinning thousands of RPM's and if you wear them out over the course of many years I can see that. Wearing them out in 4 years seems like a short life. But some people use their rigs more than I do and also use them harder than I do.
Some of those gears have a very small contact patch, and unlike other gears that spin and spin and spin, a servo's gears just go back and forth, and over a somewhat small range for some of them, so it's always the same spot that's getting the wear.

But, I'll agree, that if he's replacing gears too often, it could point to something else being a problem, but knowing how well the Promodeler gear shafts are supported, I'd be surprised if that's the case. As for lubrication, I suppose that's on the user after the first set of gears.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 06:45 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuesoDelDiablo View Post
I'd grab that K-Power right now for this comparison but they haven't hit AliExpress yet and the seller on AliBaba has a 5pc min order - I'm not prepared to dump $300 into this right now but I'm tempted...
Surely 5 people could be keen
nzrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:11 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrc View Post
Surely 5 people could be keen
I'll do it if someone wants the others.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 07:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I'll do it if someone wants the others.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
I might be in, but then you gotta ship it cross country, etc. It's more of a hassle for you.

Reefs servo junk!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
REEFs Rc Tripple4? FTRC Electronics 9 11-22-2020 04:20 PM
Is my servo junk or am I an idiot? pretzalballot Electronics 4 04-08-2017 02:08 PM
Hi-tec mini 225 servo junk? 73bronco Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 09-20-2010 11:15 AM